USMC WW2 COMPANY SCOUT COMBAT GROUPING

MCDUFF

I am pleased to share details of another amazing combat Marine Corps grouping which I am incredibly lucky and proud to be the holder of.

It is from a John Aloysius FitzMaurice Jr, who served in the 2nd Bn 22nd Marines, 6th Marine Division. He was a Pvt in G Company; a rifle platoon, then was promoted to Pfc when he joined HQ Company as an ‘intel observer’ or Company Scout on Okinawa. He was honourably discharged a corporal.

He was in service from September 7th 1943 to February 10th 1946. He joined at the age of 17. He was from Berwyn, Ill.

He fought on Guam, where he was wounded on July 27th 1944 by shrapnel in the arm. He then fought on Okinawa. He finally went on to China before returning home.

He sadly passed away on March 8th this Year.

He did write his memoirs in a book in 2006; entitled “Company scout on Okinawa”. The only copies I can find are in the Library of Congress. Unfortunately I do not have access to this, but am actively trying to source it. If anyone can help me, please let me know!

Amazingly, there is a short video clip of him on You Tube, where he describes a moment in action whilst on Okinawa. Very moving indeed. This was filmed in 2012. Please take a look if you have time:

I received the grouping crammed in his unit marked sea bag. This seabag in itself is interesting with his name and his unit stencil at the time HQ-2-22 and “II” tac sign.

The uniforms and various pieces of his personal effects look as though they were taken off after the war and put away in the kit bag. Truly amazing to find 2 sets of his name stencilled P41 shirt and pants, his M41 jacket, boondockers, his Forest Greens, dog tag and other items of combat and personal items. There is a wallet with some folded Japanese notes and coins. The P41s, M41 and boondockers are ‘salty’ which is what you would expect from combat use.

There is even a bucket with his name on it (!) and a jungle hammock.

The Forest Greens are complete with his ribbons and corporal chevrons and his honourable discharge ruptured duck. His greatcoat, side cap and belt are there too. I did get the Forest Greens dry cleaned, as they were very musty and dirty from storage. They look amazing now.

I have since received his service records from Geoff at Golden Arrow. I enclose a couple of sheets. Quite a remarkable young and brave man.

After the war, he graduated in physics, and spent over 30 years in this field. In computer optical character recognition, he developed the first reader (the Fitzmaurice reader) a pre-cursor to today’s scanner, specialized in finger print recognition technology. Wow!

I have collated the grouping together for the photo. I plan to display it in my war room when I get another torso to give it the respect it richly deserves.

I am very pleased to help keep the memory of this amazing man alive, and share with you here.

post-20528-0-35111100-1405847106.jpg

post-20528-0-14363800-1405847174.jpg

post-20528-0-58492500-1405847202.jpg

post-20528-0-12901300-1405847236.jpg

... I just had a cardiac arrest :wacko:

The second amazing (and the word is hardly strong enough) grouping in less than one year ... I can't believe it, Graham, you should start playing lotto.

You know what, I am super jealous :D

Cheers, E

... I just had a cardiac arrest :wacko:

The second amazing (and the word is hardly strong enough) grouping in less than one year ... I can't believe it, Graham, you should start playing lotto.

You know what, I am super jealous :D

Cheers, E

Hi Etienne! Yes, I couldn't believe getting this grouping either! I knew you would like it! I hope you can come and visit one day. I would love to see your collection too!

I missed out on the war and peace show this weekend, so this more than makes up for it! :)

All the best, Graham

Awesome group. Love the tags!

Hi USdog, I will welcome your expertise and comments on the army type NOK tag? I cannot associate the number, and the star is unusual? Any ideas?!

Many thanks

Graham

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

McDuff,

Just re-reading some of the old postings..... what a great grouping you have!

Were you ever able to read or obtain a copy of the publication "Company Scout on Okinawa" ?

I am also researching a "Scout Observer" who served on Okinawa with HQ Co., 6th Marines. I'll have to get out my file and see if the dates correspond with your veteran.

McDuff,

Just re-reading some of the old postings..... what a great grouping you have!

Were you ever able to read or obtain a copy of the publication "Company Scout on Okinawa" ?

I am also researching a "Scout Observer" who served on Okinawa with HQ Co., 6th Marines. I'll have to get out my file and see if the dates correspond with your veteran.

Hello, thanks for the interest! Unfortunately I could not obtain a copy of his book. It doesn't seem to be available anywhere, except within the Library of Congress. I have written to them, but still no success. If you have any ideas, I shall be very grateful!

I will be interested to hear about your scout observer too!

Cheers, Graham

The Marine I'm researching (Pfc. Hammerl) was with MP Co., 29th Marines Reinf on July 1, 1944, however, he was still stateside at Camp LeJeune. There he attended the "10th Basic Combat Intelligence School" Feb. 28 - March 25, 1944. I have a list of the subjects and topics covered in this class.... including "Scouting & Patrolling, Map Reading, Rubber Boat Recon, etc..." I'll scan the copy and see if I can't post it. I found it very interesting!

He "crossed the equator" on August 10, 1944 (same time period the Battle for Guam).

In going thru my notes, records & muster rolls, I find that he was transferred from MP Co 29th REINF to MP Co., HQ Bn 6 MarDiv., on September 25, 1944. He stayed with MP Co. HQ Bn. through September 14, 1945.

His discharge papers show that he "participated in action against the enemy at Okinawa from 1 April 1945 to 2 July 1945". I have a copy his embarkation orders, HQ, HQ Bn, 6th MarDiv, showing where he left Okinawa and sailed for Guam during the first week of July 1945. The HQ Bn April Muster roll shows that he was with MP Co., with a MOS of 636 (Scout Observer).

There's a good chance their paths might have crossed while on Okinawa in the April - July 1945 time period.

Fantastic grouping! I missed it when originally posted. What really intrigues me is that he kept his bucket!<br />BKW

The Marine I'm researching (Pfc. Hammerl) was with MP Co., 29th Marines Reinf on July 1, 1944, however, he was still stateside at Camp LeJeune. There he attended the "10th Basic Combat Intelligence School" Feb. 28 - March 25, 1944. I have a list of the subjects and topics covered in this class.... including "Scouting & Patrolling, Map Reading, Rubber Boat Recon, etc..." I'll scan the copy and see if I can't post it. I found it very interesting!

He "crossed the equator" on August 10, 1944 (same time period the Battle for Guam).

In going thru my notes, records & muster rolls, I find that he was transferred from MP Co 29th REINF to MP Co., HQ Bn 6 MarDiv., on September 25, 1944. He stayed with MP Co. HQ Bn. through September 14, 1945.

His discharge papers show that he "participated in action against the enemy at Okinawa from 1 April 1945 to 2 July 1945". I have a copy his embarkation orders, HQ, HQ Bn, 6th MarDiv, showing where he left Okinawa and sailed for Guam during the first week of July 1945. The HQ Bn April Muster roll shows that he was with MP Co., with a MOS of 636 (Scout Observer).

There's a good chance their paths might have crossed while on Okinawa in the April - July 1945 time period.

There is a very good chance that their paths crossed! His records show in November 44 he was an 'Intel Observer' MOS 636 with HQ Co 2-22. Fascinating!