WWI Son-In-Service window banners.

rustywings

Patchcollector

I like these banners.I can imagine that with Aviation being so new back then,that these were a source of pride as well as patriotism.

Russ,

Thank you for sharing this very unique collection with us. Patriotism can be expressed in many ways but your World War I, U. S. Air Service & U. S. Naval Aviation Son-in-Service window banners have shown me an entirely different dimension of expression for both American military aviation and love of country which I had never thought much about. . . until now. Not only does each banner have its own special meaning, as a group they are both beautiful and inspiring to look at.

Congratulations for having the foresight several years ago to not overlook them while there was still time to save them from extinction or being forgotten as we approach the eve of the 100th anniversary of World War I. You've managed to assemble some fascinating examples of which many are quite rare and have good reason to be very proud of this amazing accomplishment.

Keep up the good work!

Cliff ;)

Cliff nailed it, a wonderful collection, one to be proud of.

I have always held these banners in a special place in my heart from all the branches of service. Rather than repeat what is already posted, will add a couple variations. The first is a standard banner designed to have a picture placed in the center. This particular one was given to me by the wife of Lt. William Van Dusen, it has a picture of him while standing in his flight gear and placed on the bottom is a son in service pin with wing and prop. The second one has a veteran banner across the bottom.

Terry

post-6022-0-41055600-1406035292.jpg

post-6022-0-53111600-1406035309.jpg

Thank you Manayunkman and Patchcollector. It's nice to see these Aviation banners receiving a favorable response.

Terrific banners Terry! A hardy "thanks" to you and Thor996 for making a decent topic much better with the addition of your fine variations! I've been hunting for Aviation banners for over three decades...and I've never encountered one which holds a photograph like your example. Rare stuff!

Any other Aviation banners out there? Please post them...