WWI Distinguished Service Cross numbered + Purple Heart

rrgeee

River Patrol

WOW! Such a great grouping!! I love seeing foreign medals on WW1 US soldiers.

Thanks again for all the feedback. The mounting is in the works. It will take approx. 2 weeks to be completed. Hopefully I can find a Gilt star for the Croix de Guerre. I noticed he had one in the photo. I guess it was lost over time. I did find out he received the purple heart on 10/2/1940 from wounds in action Oct 17, 1918. thanks to Jackie Ostrowski (very good contact as said earlier in the forum). Please contact me if you have an original Gilt star from WWI.

Thanks again for all the feedback. The mounting is in the works. It will take approx. 2 weeks to be completed. Hopefully I can find a Gilt star for the Croix de Guerre. I noticed he had one in the photo. I guess it was lost over time. I did find out he received the purple heart on 10/2/1940 from wounds in action Oct 17, 1918. thanks to Jackie Ostrowski (very good contact as said earlier in the forum). Please contact me if you have an original Gilt star from WWI.

Just a caveat as it sounds like someone else is doing the mounting, which means they are out of your hands...MAKE SURE that:

1. No one does a "swaparoo" on the medals...I've visited more than one family with "mounted" medals that were replacements (and in one case of another DSC recipient, brand new replacements...)

2. I took apart over 40 framed medal groups while photographing for my book. They ranged from framers that did a really nice job to chop shops. And in all but a couple cases, they either used hot glue, pins, velcro, double sided tape, masking tape, duct tape, epoxy, JB Weld...you name it in order to get the medals to stay in the frame. In every case, the family had no idea that the medals were being destroyed in the process of being "preserved" (intentionally in quotes).

That's part of the reason we suggested frames so you could do it yourself...I have yet to see a framer do a "nice display" without inadvertently damaging (either now or in the future) the medals...

manayunkman

I sure hope it's taking 2 weeks for the framing supplies to get to you.

It only took one time for me to let someone else handle a piece from my old collection.

The dry cleaners "lost" a uniform I sent to be cleaned.

When I was young I was a jeweler for several years and you always heard stories of people getting their diamond ring worked on to find out later the diamond had been switched.

I guess the point is the grouping is way to precious to let out of your sight.

I brought everything in for measurements so they could order the supplies. Everything went back home with me. It is a reputable company but I agree I was worried about leaving them there. When the materials come in I will go back with the medals, cap and a few other things for the mount. They understood and all work will be scheduled so I can be around during the process. Thanks for the warning. Hopefully I won't have any issues.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for everyone's help. I received a lot of information about his medals and the engagements he fought it. Here is the mounting for the medals. They can finally be displayed.

post-153642-0-65464700-1407293749.jpg

Thanks for everyone's help. I received a lot of information about his medals and the engagements he fought it. Here is the mounting for the medals. They can finally be displayed.

That turned out to be a great looking display...you are very lucky for these medals to have survived together.Congrats.

A very, very nice tribute to your brave ancestor !

Looks real good and nicely done by company.

Best regards

Herman

• 3 years later...

This group I own belonged to your grandfather's immediate commanding officer, Lt. Claude Spicer who commanded Co. F., 108th Inf., 27th Division. He was severely wounded a few weeks after your relative on Oct. 17th. I have his medals (including PH) and his presentation sword.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/306137-great-reunite-wwi-purple-heart-and-1902-officers-sword/?hl=spicer