WWI Distinguished Service Cross numbered + Purple Heart

rrgeee

What is the best way to preserve the ribbons? These were my Grandfathers and I wanted to mount them to protect them from further damage. Any suggestions would be appreciated. It is also a great way to show them off. Let me know if you have any questions about the medals or if you want to tell me anything about them. The Purple heart is numbered and his name is engraved on the back. The DSC is numbered 1232. I also have his DSC citation signed by Pershing.

post-153642-0-76948700-1405197458.jpg

BelligerentBlue

I'd say keep it laid flat in a case since some of the ribbons are in pretty bad shape. But other than that, that is amazing.

This is a fantastic VFW cap and not only is there a DSC there, but a thumbnail oakleaf cluster to boot. Your grandfather was quite a hero. The British medal probably has your grandfather's name engraved around the rim of the medal.

I'm afraid that there isn't that much that can be done with the medals other than to make sure that they do not continue to hang on the drapes. If they were mine, I would probably try to flatten the ribbons and frame them.

Thanks for sharing!

Allan

Yes.Flat in the frame....I also think British medals awarded to Americans are not named...

That is an incredible group of medals. Lying them flat in a case is the best way to preserve them. You don't want the weight of the medals to be stressing out the original ribbons. What ever you do, do not put new ribbons on them.

Kurt

Here is some info about him. The British medal is not engraved. The back of it says for bravery in the field. It doesn't have a horse like other medals I've seen. I'm not sure if Americans received different medals. His name was Luke Gaffey I found information about the DSC on the website homeofheroes. Thanks for the comments

The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress, July 9, 1918, takes pleasure in presenting the Distinguished Service Cross to Private Luke Gaffey (ASN: 1214669), United States Army, for extraordinary heroism in action while serving with Company F, 108th Infantry Regiment, 27th Division, A.E.F., near Ronssoy, France, 28 September 1918. Private Gaffey displayed rare courage in leaving shelter and going into an open field under heavy shell and machine-gun fire and rescuing wounded soldiers of another regiment.

General Orders: War Department, General Orders No. 133 (1919)

Action Date: 28-Sep-18

Service: Army

Company: Company F

Regiment: 108th Infantry Regiment

Division: 27th Division, American Expeditionary Forces .

The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress, July 9, 1918, takes pleasure in presenting a Bronze Oak Leaf Cluster in lieu of a Second Award of the Distinguished Service Cross to Private Luke Gaffey (ASN: 1214669), United States Army, for extraordinary heroism in action while serving with Company F, 108th Infantry Regiment, 27th Division, A.E.F., near Ronssoy, France, 29 September 1918. When all the other members of his squad had been killed or wounded, Private Gaffey picked up an automatic rifle and advanced alone against an enemy position.

General Orders: War Department, General Orders No. 133 (1919)

Action Date: 29-Sep-18

Service: Army

Company: Company F

Regiment: 108th Infantry Regiment

Division: 27th Division, American Expeditionary Forces

These are incredible medals be very careful with them the ribbons are fragile. I also think a Riker case would be your best and least expensive option the medals will lay flat and not move.

Dick

History Man

What true acts of heroism, you must be proud to be the caretaker of your grandfathers medals. Thank you for sharing these amazing pieces.

Philip

A True American Hero !!!!! Do you have a picture of him wearing the medals? Please post a photo of the medals once you get them cased. Thanks for sharing!

dhcoleterracina

Wonderful family heirloom. I also agree that they should not be re-ribboned or polished. Framing would cause additional stress on the medals. I think that the Brit medal is called a "Military Medal". I would research-research-research and gather any and all artifacts together. I would even write down what he told other relatives about the war because that would just add to the overall grouping. The MM may or may not have been for the same action as the two DSC citations. Worth investigating.

manayunkman

Truly a family treasure.

The less you do the better.

I would keep them pinned to the hat and as common consensus suggests keep it flat.

Put them in a dark place because light is their enemy.

Someone suggested a riker mount which would hold them tight ( they wont move around ) and I think that is a good thing.

However riker mounts are sort of cheesy looking and nothing like an antique wood frame which would be more worthy of such a group.

Remember flat and tight.

Are there names on the back of the PH and DSC ?

Thanks for sharing such a historic and incredible medal group.

There are cases made of wood avaliable that are like the Rikker mounts that will encase the item while still being able to open the case from time to time.

I 100% agree with doyler....I would frame it up just like it is, leaving the medals still attached to the hat. It's an incredible group of medals. I would also insure it for $8-$10,000 on your household insurance.

Great advice by Dave on the insurance part.THis is an item thats irreplaceable.

I know you can buy medals to substitute the originals but its not the same.

Also when displaying you could also have a small plaque like on trophys engraved with his information and citations above.There are places now who do the lazer engraving and do a great job.Place the plaque in the case and it would tell his story as well.

firefighter

Awesome grouping and an amazing man your grandfather was.The 108th INF RGT is my old unit.I was with the 2/108th, 27th BDE, 10th MTN(LI).