pre WWI shelter Half? What is it

vonradmil

To all my esteemed colleagues. I picked this odd shelter half up today and have no idea what it is. A little help in IDing it please. It is roughly the same size as a typical US shelter half. Hell it could be Boy Scouts for all I know. There are not any markings at all. The buttons are not marked. It is a little lighter weight fabric than the typical WWI or WWII shelter half.

post-130463-0-91825100-1405127643.jpg

To all my esteemed colleagues. I picked this odd shelter half up today and have no idea what it is. A little help in IDing it please. It is roughly the same size as a typical US shelter half. Hell it could be Boy Scouts for all I know. There are not any markings at all. The buttons are not marked. It is a little lighter weight fabric than the typical WWI or WWII shelter half.

post-130463-0-31845800-1405127676.jpg

post-130463-0-53191600-1405127699.jpg

Bonjour.

In the manual " Privates' Manual" Malor James A. MOSS June 1917. This manual is not uncommon.

solcarlus.

post-241-0-96810300-1405188260.jpg

Very nice indeed!

I'm guessing the square pattern that we are all familiar with is the one that was issued after "the present supply" was exhausted.

This was a pre-WWI shelter half that was developed for the Infantry. I think that it came out in the 1912-1914 period (but don't quote me). At that time, some brilliant Quartermaster type (read REMF, never been in the field maybe ever!) decided that we could save pack space and dollars by eliminating shelter half poles. This shelter was designed to use a rifle for the front pole and a bayonet for the rear. The Cavalry version, which was basically the WWI version with which we are all familiar, used the troopers' sabers as poles. The early 1912 "Patton" sabers actually had little nubs on the end of the scabbards which were meant to fit in the tent grommets. These Infantry shelters didn't last long, but you do see photos of them in the Punitive Expedition/Border Crisis.

Interesting piece. Out of curiosity, how would this be packed into the haversack? It doesn't look like you could get everything that is packed into the standard shelter half rolled up into this.

Mike

True, You should get a information fee, because of your research and help identifing this shelter half, I was able to sell it to another member of the Forum. DR_Rambow bought it an we both agreed that I should pay you $25.00 USD reward for making this sale possible. Solcarlus, I would assume that you have a paypal account? If you do, please send me the address in a private message, and I will send you your reward.

Thanks to all that make collecting, buying and sell possible. Thanks to Dr_Rambow for the great idea and for buying and thanks to Solcarlus for the great pictures of the manual.

Eric

Vonrad Trading Post. Miltaria and Antiques.

Interesting piece. Out of curiosity, how would this be packed into the haversack? It doesn't look like you could get everything that is packed into the standard shelter half rolled up into this.

Mike

Shouldn't be too different from the more familiar rectangular shelter half, only that you will have to fold it differently to achieve the "square" shape called for in the manual. Once you get that square, then the pack contents are placed on it, so the overall shape of the shelter half makes much less of a difference than you might think.

Ill let you know when it comes in!

Bonjour Eric.

Thank you for your offer. I participate in this forum volunteer, but with us, we do not usually provide information on the material and see it immediately on a sales site. A question of culture. My topic was a touch of humor.
I appreciate your gesture, but I declined your offer.

Cordialement. Phil.

Shouldn't be too different from the more familiar rectangular shelter half, only that you will have to fold it differently to achieve the "square" shape called for in the manual. Once you get that square, then the pack contents are placed on it, so the overall shape of the shelter half makes much less of a difference than you might think.

Ill let you know when it comes in!

Works just as expected; with a slight change in folds. The large triangle folds once, as you may expect. The small triangle folds in once to the first seam, then foldeded along the second seam to bring you to the same length as the folded "standard" shelter half.

You can see the color change slightly at each seam, it just so happens that the second seam from the bottom lines up with the other shelter half.

post-97349-0-51112300-1405566359.jpg

post-97349-0-85470000-1405566374.jpg

post-97349-0-50894000-1405566411.jpg

Once it is rolled up, you would never know it was any different from the more commonly encountered shelter halfs, perhaps other than the color.

post-97349-0-14337700-1405566583.jpg