Iraqi propaganda poster & Desert Storm license plates

Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Got a bunch of stuff from a former Marine who did two tours in Iraq. I had thought he said these license plates were used on Coalition vehicles, but maybe I misunderstood.

He had several of these bilingual posters touting the Iraqi military and police (cough, cough...). I'm not sure what real purpose these would have had, but I'm sure some US Army psyops officer thought they were a big deal.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Bob Hudson

Doing some research and found the the plate with the orange section is from Sharjah, one of the emirates of the United Arab Emirates.

The other plate is from Bahrain.

When I see this Marine again I'll have to get a clearer story of where these came from.

Bob Hudson

I did learn that Bahrain and the United Arab Emirates were part of the coalition that fought to liberate Kuwait during Desert Storm. This Marine had been a truck driver in that war, so I wonder if he swapped plates with his counterparts from those two nations?

BelligerentBlue

I had a plate from Iraq. No clue what happened to it in my moves. Wish I still had it :( Also, I have that same picture on a short Iraqi Police DVD... I believe, it's been awhile since I've seen it...

I'll have to dig in the closet tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a plate from Iraq. No clue what happened to it in my moves. Wish I still had it :( Also, I have that same picture on a short Iraqi Police DVD... I believe, it's been awhile since I've seen it...

I'll have to dig in the closet tonight.

Ditto here. I had one of the plates in my den over the door. I have moved to Florida since and this is the first time I have thought about that plate. I wonder where it is? There are so many things I cannot finds that I don't know if it is old age, I left stuff behind or gave it away to military buddies, or maybe a few of the 68-odd boxes I have were lost by the movers. No telling which.

As for the poster, I would guess it was for recruiting purposes.

Gil, I love your address "specializing in fakes..." I think the great majority of all the items on EBay claiming to be Vietnam leaflets are fakes. Especially the VC stuff. 99% of that is fake. Every now and then some estate comes on the market and we see a few real things, but the vast majority of that stuff is reproductions.

I wonder where it is?

Look hard: turns out those plates are worth a surprising amount.

• 1 month later...

Here are a few plates I brought back from Iraq. They were considered contraband and could not be mailed home so I had to send them home with my personal baggage in a conex box. The top left plate came off of the wreckage of a vbied. The top right is a Dubai export plate and the bottom center is a Iraqi Government vehicle plate. I also have a plate taken off of a Iraqi Police car destroyed in an ambush and a large plastic "Iraq" plate removed from the front of a large truck. I have two Iraqi Army vehicle plates somewhere and will post photos when I find them.

post-7247-0-19252200-1411104613.jpg

Manchu Warrior

I found this plate in a trash pile in the middle of the Kuwaiti desert. What can I say? I became pretty desperate and I had to take advantage of what ever resources I found out there in the middle of nothingness. As for the plate it is pretty thick and heavy and I never did any research. With that said I always assumed that it was just an old Kuwaiti plate. However, it looks a lot like the Dubai plate Tfiveoh has. Any ideas?

post-1412-0-87797100-1411141905.jpg

I found this plate in a trash pile in the middle of the Kuwaiti desert. What can I say? I became pretty desperate and I had to take advantage of what ever resources I found out there in the middle of nothingness. As for the plate it is pretty thick and heavy and I never did any research. With that said I always assumed that it was just an old Kuwaiti plate. However, it looks a lot like the Dubai plate Tfiveoh has. Any ideas?

attachicon.gifDSCF3858.JPG

Your plate is from Egypt. It is for a public service vehicle. Probably something like a garbage truck, power company bucket truck or something along those lines. The dark blue Iraqi plate of mine came off of a government owned vehicle from the Al Musayyib Thermal Power Plant. The Iraqi Army unit I was embedded with was stationed on the grounds of that plant. As for how it got out in the desert of Kuwait? If you have been to Iraq, you have seen that it is basically the dumping ground of the world's used vehicles. Anything is possible. I saw a couple of East German Trabants during my times over there. After seeing all of the vehicles from Korea, Japan and China driving around over there, I understood how that was possible.

Manchu Warrior

Your plate is from Egypt. It is for a public service vehicle. Probably something like a garbage truck, power company bucket truck or something along those lines. The dark blue Iraqi plate of mine came off of a government owned vehicle from the Al Musayyib Thermal Power Plant. The Iraqi Army unit I was embedded with was stationed on the grounds of that plant. As for how it got out in the desert of Kuwait? If you have been to Iraq, you have seen that it is basically the dumping ground of the world's used vehicles. Anything is possible. I saw a couple of East German Trabants during my times over there. After seeing all of the vehicles from Korea, Japan and China driving around over there, I understood how that was possible.

When I was in Kuwait Egyptians made up a large part of the work force in the country. So who Knows? Maybe one of them took it with them to Kuwait. I appreciate the information.

When I was in Kuwait Egyptians made up a large part of the work force in the country. So who Knows? Maybe one of them took it with them to Kuwait. I appreciate the information.

It could have been brought over with some of those Egyptian laborers. If they brought work vehicles with them, that could explain it. Regardless. From what I understand, vehicle license plates from Southwest Asia/Arabian Peninsula are not very common. I think it's a cool conversation piece in itself.

• 4 weeks later...

Here are a few plates I brought back from Iraq. They were considered contraband and could not be mailed home so I had to send them home with my personal baggage in a conex box. The top left plate came off of the wreckage of a vbied. The top right is a Dubai export plate and the bottom center is a Iraqi Government vehicle plate. I also have a plate taken off of a Iraqi Police car destroyed in an ambush and a large plastic "Iraq" plate removed from the front of a large truck. I have two Iraqi Army vehicle plates somewhere and will post photos when I find them.

Those are very cool plates..... thanks for sharing.

• 3 weeks later...

Tfiveoh is correct that it's an Egyptian plate. It's actually a Customs plate, meaning an imported vehicle on which customs duty has not been paid (meaning it can't be sold inside Egypt and has to leave the country with its owner). "CH" = Customs House. And "AR" = El Arish, a city on the north coast of the Sinai Peninsula. A very rare Egyptian license plate.

As to what it was doing in Iraq, who knows!

Manchu Warrior

Tfiveoh is correct that it's an Egyptian plate. It's actually a Customs plate, meaning an imported vehicle on which customs duty has not been paid (meaning it can't be sold inside Egypt and has to leave the country with its owner). "CH" = Customs House. And "AR" = El Arish, a city on the north coast of the Sinai Peninsula. A very rare Egyptian license plate.

As to what it was doing in Iraq, who knows!

I appreciate the information. Thanks!