Pinned pommel dilemma

ka bar

Did all WW2 issue MK2 pommels that were pinned have a FULL pin.

Could there be a possibility that some may have been half/blind pinned?

I understand that repros are half pinned

Is there any evidence that some manufacturers may have half pinned the pommels during WW2?

Many

Hi Bill.

My dilemma is on eBay, there seems to be many MK2s that claim to be genuine WW2 era but are only blind pinned.

Yet they have heaps of bids.

I thought I may be behind in my knowledge about pinned pommels.

I have the same thoughts about the pin as you.

Still-A-Marine

Now I understand. The good news is that since so many bid on the mislabeled MK2s it helps to lessen the competition for the real WWII versions.

Hi Bill.

My dilemma is on eBay, there seems to be many MK2s that claim to be genuine WW2 era but are only blind pinned.

Yet they have heaps of bids.

I thought I may be behind in my knowledge about pinned pommels.

I have the same thoughts about the pin as you.

I agree with Bill.Full pin on WW2 models as far as I know.

You see a lot of the more modern USMC marked ka bars being touted as "original" or WW2.Often these are in the scabbards that are embossed with the EGA.Some have a lot of actual use and wear as guys carried them.I have a buddy who carried one in the Army when he was in.He bought it in a surplus store in Colorado and carried it and used it heavily.

One other thing with the newer ones is the font of the lettering is to thick compared to originals.Stamping is different too.But it seems these often sell for period WW2 knives.

On another note I have seen WW2 ones paired with the modern scabbards as well.SOmetimes it pays to look at the auctions really close as there can be a WW2 one in the mix.

If you want to wonder about the possible chance that a "blind pinned" U.S.M.C. KA-BAR knife could just be a WW2 knife, look closely at the handle and see if there's a black spacer behind the pommel and one behind the guard. If so that's another indication that it's one of the post war repro's.

If you think the KA-BAR's are tough, look at the Camillus U.S.M.C's made starting in the 1990's. I've seen a couple that the only way to tell the difference was a very close comparison look at the lettering.

I regret not buying a repro Camillus MK2 in the 90s, just to have for comparison. Bought the M3s (blade & guard), and the M4. If I ever see another at a good price I'll buy it. SKIP

The repro is pretty good but the major differences are the straight guard and slightly wider width of the blade. What kept me from picking one up was the horrendous top grind. I realize it makes for a stronger tip but visually was VERY unappealing. Right before the end of the Mark 2 production, they did "correct" the funky grind but then Camillus shut their doors for good.

I was wondering about the time of the reappearance of the tradition type of top grind on the repro U.S.M.C.'s. That change makes IDing them trickier, especially after they receive a little wear.

Here's a picture of one of the later made U.S./CAMILLUS knives with the small radius top grind.

post-17422-0-79668500-1404631697.jpg

I think the best thing for me to do is only bid when there is irrefutable evidence that it is genuine....

In instances where there is a shadow of a doubt, I best leave it alone...

The only problem with that ideology is I may miss out on a real genuine oddity

But, shipping to Oz and the time it takes to get here makes taking risks more of a gamble...

• 9 years later...
knifelover

I have a USMC Ka-Bar that is blind pinned with a 1/4" pommel.  Does that mean it is a reproduction or a knock off?

sactroop

The blind pommel pin is a sure sign of a 1976 to present day knife made by Ka-Bar.  There is some talk of the possibility of some small purchases via direct unit purchase, however it could be hard to come up with much in the way of provenance to go along with such knives.

On 4/12/2024 at 10:23 AM, mdk0911 said:

knifelover - any pictures? 

mdk0911, i just saw this message.  i pulled the knife out to take some pics, and i realized i incorrectly labelled it.  The knife has a 1/4" pommel that is THROUGH pinned with  thinner and shallower tang stamps.  One side says "KA-BAR", the other side says "USMC".  Flipping through Cole's book 'A Collection of US Military Knives' this description matches variation #11.  If I had to wager, I would bet this is the real deal from WWII post 1945?   Here are some pics....

20240419_121250.jpg

20240419_121202.jpg

20240419_121215.jpg

you have to look very closely at the second picture, but there is definitely a pin just below the ding in the pommel.  hard to see which is why i might have mislabeled it.

20240419_121258.jpg

20240419_121330.jpg

knifelover, your knife is definitely a WW2 version.  Union Cutlery didn't make any more of these knives after WW2 until long after they changed their company name to Ka-Bar and reintroduced the knife for the 200th anniversary of the United States Marine Corps.

The blind pin they use in the re-introduced knives was done on purpose to show the difference from the originals.

Union Cutlery made 2 version of the blade stamping like yours  - with KA-BAR stamped on the one side and larger font USMC, and another with a smaller font usmc stamped on the reverse.

Do you have the leather scabbard?