Unknown Knife

mattsmilitary

mattsmilitary

A friend of mine gave this to me to ID and I cannot figure this one out. There are no markings at all on it.

Can you guys help?

Thanks Much in Advance.

post-105332-0-20686800-1404225554.jpg

post-105332-0-40055800-1404225555.jpg

Looks like a cross between the M3 trench knife and the M4 bayonet. I'm thinking a put together from parts or an aftermarket piece.

It's what I believe to be an Imperial M3/M4. I have a nice one. Now here's my train of thought Camillus, PAL, and Imperial all used brown spacers on their M4 bayonets. The one pictured looks like it has a black & brown spacer. Imperial was the only maker I have seen using black spacers. Also, Imperial's M3 pommels were more rounded around the top, PAL & Camillus pommels tended to be flat. Imperial, and PAL were both using "V" cut grooves in their M4 handles, Camillus was not. The other factor would be that Imperial made over 854,000 M3s, and over 730,000 (Gary's figure} M4s. To me Imperial would be the most likely to have a bunch of left over parts from their contracts. This is strictly my rational, based on speculation, no science here. I could be 100% wrong. SKIP