"Tankfest 2014"... photo report (pic heavy!)

Sabrejet

We collectors / military enthusiasts in the UK are triply blessed because we arguably have the world’s best annual warbirds event...”Flying Legends” at Duxford....the greatest assemblage of vintage military vehicles and reenactors anywhere on the planet...”War & Peace”...and the greatest “live” annual armour show...”Tankfest”, at the Tank Museum!

I attended the latter at the weekend. It’s held annually at The Tank Museum...literally the home of the tank because it was first invented and trialled at what is now Bovington Camp, home of the Royal Tank Regiment and the splendid Tank Museum.

The museum is generally acknowledged to possess the world’s finest collection of armoured vehicles. All are housed under cover, and there are many exceedingly rare types...and a significant number of the exhibits are also runners...which is what “Tankfest” is all about!

Apart from the obvious attraction of the museum exhibits, there’s the new Vehicle Conservation Centre which is crammed full of all sorts of armour awaiting restoration, various external exhibits, and re-enactment groups and trade support...in other words, something for everyone!

The centre of the action, of course, is the big arena where the vehicles strut their armoured stuff. There is a full program of events over the weekend and visitors can count on seeing scores of armoured vehicles, both vintage and modern, actually “on the move” rather than on static display within the confines of the museum.

I hope the following selection of photographs will help convey something of the flavour of the event. There are a lot of them to upload, so please bear with me as it might take some time! Also, please be aware that photographing the exhibits is not necessarily easy because of their close proximity to one another within the museum itself, plus the fact that hundreds of other visitors are milling around looking for their photo-opportunities too, so in some instances getting an overall clear shot is well-nigh impossible!

As usual, and in keeping with the forum's rules I'll focus primarily on the various US types. However, I do also have a lot of good pics of allied and German types too, so I can also add those later if you want....with the acquiescence of our esteemed mods of course?!

Firstly...a few shots of the museum to put it in context (with Mrs Sabrejet in the foreground!)

post-8022-0-81993300-1404152201.jpg

The "control tower" which overlooks the arena and in which the commentators are based on events days.

post-8022-0-08883000-1404152391.jpg

Some external exhibits brought by enthusiasts just for the show. Firstly a nicely presented GMC 6x6.

post-8022-0-92310700-1404152813.jpg

post-8022-0-43873700-1404152816.jpg

Next...a variety of Jeeps. ( Note the tell-tale plastic sheets under the sumps to catch leaking oil! :D )

post-8022-0-99916500-1404152947.jpg

post-8022-0-21256100-1404152950.jpg

A glimpse at the incredible Vehicle Conservation Centre. Row upon row of armoured vehicles awaiting restoration...including some US types.

post-8022-0-41073100-1404153817.jpg