C-1 vest instruction booklet

dustin

A recent topic about technical orders and other influences got me thinking about the hype surrounding the instruction booklet for the C-1 sustenance vest Technical Order 13-1-24 and it being one of the harder components to find. The facts behind TO 13-1-24 is that it is dated March 1945 and to take into account printing and distribution times to 30-60 days minimum would place this article in service at best in the summer of 1945. On a collector stand point it is not necessary to have this article to complete most vests especially the slanted chest pocket models however if you are trying to complete a late or last production vest it would be a necessity. This TO would have seen very limited service before wars end if any at all. I thought I would post this short tid bit of info in case there are individuals scrambling to obtain this booklet.

The internal pocket labeling of INST. BOOKLET in vests can be misleading to many assuming it is referencing this TO but it is actually denoting the manual 21W.

post-56-0-13644400-1403989812.jpg

gunbunnyB/3/75FA

that would be a handy little thing to have laying around,lol.if you wouldn't mind, would you be able to post some pages from inside? thanks, -John.

I have a vest and I appreciate the importance of this manual, but that cover illustration just cracks me up. The guy is like "Hey, I've been shot down behind enemy lines but I don't have a care in the world because I have a C-1 Emergency Sustenance Vest!" I would have thought a slightly anxious-looking guy creeping through a jungle would have been more appropriate.

I have a vest and I appreciate the importance of this manual, but that cover illustration just cracks me up. The guy is like "Hey, I've been shot down behind enemy lines but I don't have a care in the world because I have a C-1 Emergency Sustenance Vest!" I would have thought a slightly anxious-looking guy creeping through a jungle would have been more appropriate.

You nailed it!

That is kind of the point though to instill confidence to the user and to add assurance that the vest and its components are valuable assets making your comment exactly the sentiment they wanted ...mission accomplished. Simple illustrations like these were considered important to moral.

My point of the post was orientated opposite of "importance of this manual" in that it is not important to complete any vests. It is a nice guide illustrating what to look for in late model vests but is a far cry from early components.

here are additional pictures from inside.

post-56-0-71636400-1404078785.jpgpost-56-0-97178800-1404078793.jpgpost-56-0-51382700-1404078802.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hilarious! :D

• 2 years later...

Hayes Otoupalik may have some very nice reproductions of this manual left. I bought one from him this year pretty cheap and am glad I did. He did a great job on the remake. I got tired of waiting to find one, and I don't mind that it is not an original item especially since as noted above most vests did not have a booklet like this since it was late war production. It is cool to have it with your vest collection.