Bailey, Bank And Biddle Officer Collar Devices

Leatherneck72

Leatherneck72

Here are a couple birds that were recently re-discovered roosting in one of my closets. Both are BB&B, one dress, one service. I believe USMCAVIATOR posted a "fire bronze" hat device of the same style recently. Service device is simply stamped: BRONZE BB&B. Dress device is marked to the eagle: STERLING, and then "10K" across the back of the anchor. Note the highly detailed work to the globes. Made by master jewelers of a bygone era. I place these ca. 1910-1918.

post-1737-1213237451.jpg

post-1737-1213237559.jpg

post-1737-1213237604.jpg

post-1737-1213237641.jpg

post-1737-1213237685.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Brian, thank you for sharing with us these wonderful early emblems. They will indeed make for a welcomed addition to the reference section. Of all the early makers, BB&B was indeed out in front of everyone else, in terms of quality of manufacture and adherence to the regulations of the period, with respect to design elements and in particular their use of stempling and hand done fret work of the globes. No one else I can recall bothered to make this final effort in hand done and assembled pieces. Also, their use of applied continents vice molded set them apart from the rest, which eventually lead to the changes in the regulations of the day; stipulating the use of applied continents after 1920. Even to the point of following the design elements and proper proportions of the eagle, whose claw structure and configuration latter became a near design standard for all makers. I imagine their pieces were carried by only the most esteemed outfitters of the day.

The hand done fret work shown here must have been very labor intensive and very tedious as well. I suspect such work was left to the apprentice (remember that word) of the day.

brian_manifor_BBB_fret_work.jpg

The die struck stempling in the globe brought about an interesting thought recently. I cannot recall seeing the use of this stempling in dress emblems? By design perhaps?

brian_manifor_BBB_stempling.jpg

If you find the time someday, share a picture or two of the BB&B hallmarks. BTW, pinback or screwback? Thanks again. s/f Darrell

• 1 year later...

was outsniped for this on eBay, went for 219.50...nice collar emblem, notice the stipled globe...

_BoMw4V_CGk___KGrHqQH_DwEuZQ6ruW_BLmk5Dn6_g___3.jpg

_BoMw7l_BWk___KGrHqYH_EYEu_IBc6wYBLmk5SZsF____3.jpg

Brig,

Sorry I outsniped you but just had to have that emblem. All the best. Ron

no hard feelings, there're plenty of other emblems I'm yet to acquire. more will surface