• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 Leatherneck72

Leatherneck72
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,737
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 06:28 PM

Here are a couple birds that were recently re-discovered roosting in one of my closets. Both are BB&B, one dress, one service. I believe USMCAVIATOR posted a "fire bronze" hat device of the same style recently. Service device is simply stamped: BRONZE BB&B. Dress device is marked to the eagle: STERLING, and then "10K" across the back of the anchor. Note the highly detailed work to the globes. Made by master jewelers of a bygone era. I place these ca. 1910-1918.

Attached Images

• ega1.jpg
  • ega2.jpg
  • ega3.jpg
  • ega4.jpg
  • ega5.jpg

Edited by Leatherneck72, 11 June 2008 - 06:28 PM.

#2 doyler

doyler
  • Members
    • Member ID: 342
  • 33,689 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 06:39 PM

Nice birds!!!Very nice quality.I really like the detailed stippling on the globe.Thanks for sharing.

RON

#3 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 376
  • 21,540 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 04:44 AM

Brian, thank you for sharing with us these wonderful early emblems. They will indeed make for a welcomed addition to the reference section. Of all the early makers, BB&B was indeed out in front of everyone else, in terms of quality of manufacture and adherence to the regulations of the period, with respect to design elements and in particular their use of stempling and hand done fret work of the globes. No one else I can recall bothered to make this final effort in hand done and assembled pieces. Also, their use of applied continents vice molded set them apart from the rest, which eventually lead to the changes in the regulations of the day; stipulating the use of applied continents after 1920. Even to the point of following the design elements and proper proportions of the eagle, whose claw structure and configuration latter became a near design standard for all makers. I imagine their pieces were carried by only the most esteemed outfitters of the day.

The hand done fret work shown here must have been very labor intensive and very tedious as well. I suspect such work was left to the apprentice (remember that word) of the day.
brian_manifor_BBB_fret_work.jpg

The die struck stempling in the globe brought about an interesting thought recently. I cannot recall seeing the use of this stempling in dress emblems? By design perhaps?
brian_manifor_BBB_stempling.jpg

If you find the time someday, share a picture or two of the BB&B hallmarks. BTW, pinback or screwback? Thanks again. s/f Darrell

Edited by teufelhunde.ret, 12 June 2008 - 05:49 AM.

#4 bobgee

bobgee

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 503
  • 6,126 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 06:30 AM

Great & beautiful insignia!.....Wish I had them in my collection.
Semper Fi.....Bobgee ;)

#5 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 21,847 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 08:49 PM

was outsniped for this on eBay, went for 219.50...nice collar emblem, notice the stipled globe...

Attached Images

• _BoMw7l_BWk___KGrHqYH_EYEu_IBc6wYBLmk5SZsF____3.jpg
  • _BoMw4V_CGk___KGrHqQH_DwEuZQ6ruW_BLmk5Dn6_g___3.jpg

#6 MarCorp67

MarCorp67
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,974
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 03:52 AM

Brig,

Sorry I outsniped you but just had to have that emblem. All the best. Ron

#7 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 21,847 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 05:18 PM

Brig,

Sorry I outsniped you but just had to have that emblem. All the best. Ron

no hard feelings, there're plenty of other emblems I'm yet to acquire. more will surface

#8 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 376
  • 21,540 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 09:30 AM

You are in the Marine Corps EGA reference section. This area is were posts from the Marine Corps, USMC EGA discussion section are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. As time moves forward there maybe additional information the EGA Moderators wish to add or will add to this specific post. We ask for your input as well.

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the USMC EGA discussion area which is listed in the main page under insignia. And as needed we will be pleased to move any new and or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised; posting and or editing is restricted on Eagle, Globe and Anchor emblem threads; to moderator's and forum staff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users