Quiz! Identify the DUI and the time frame of the picture

mslurvey

This is a picture of my Grandfather Ralph A. Lurvey and a close up of his DUI. The first one who can identify the DUI and the time frame of the picture gets to pat himself on the back!

Thanks Mason

post-144745-0-56021500-1403755555.jpg

post-144745-0-64116400-1403755591.jpg

First-type 13th Field Artillery DUI. The shield shaped DUI was changed to the oval-shaped design I think in the late 1920's. The DUI for the 13th was approved in 1923 so that gives a date range for the image.

Damn you guys are good. Btry B, 13th FA, Hawaiian Division, Schofield Barracks, 1925/26. I had to look at the original photo again to pick up that the DUI was on a shield and not on a a oval. If anybody has an extra shield 13th FA DUI I would like to buy it as I only have an oval one.

My Grandfather served with the 13 FA from 1925 until 1928. He enlisted at age 17 under a false name (Fred R. McLoud) and age (18) as his parents would not sign the paperwork and he also had strong encouragement from the judge. After his discharge in served in several National Guard units in MA and NH under his real name (Ralph A. Lurvey).

In 1942 he was accepted to OCS and he tried to get the Army to give him credit for the three years served under the false name but they would not do it because them time period was not during a period of war. He served with the 45th Division, 160th FA, attached to the 179th Inf Reg as a forward observer during the Sicilian and Italian campaigns. He retired from the Army in 1959.

I am fortunate that my Grandfather kept copies of most of his 201 file so I have a very good paper trail of his service.

I want to thank you for helping with the quiz and allowing me to share.

Mason

P.S. The photo attached shows Homer Bates and my Grandfather 1925/26 at Schofield Barracks. Notice the uniform variations and the soldier pulling guard duty in the top left hand corner.

post-144745-0-46195500-1403839523.jpg

• 3 months later...

Just received this today in the mail (was in an Ebay lot). A very early screwback. First one I've ever come across

attachicon.gifCrest 13th FA.jpg.

I sure hope you are willing to trade or sell this to Mason, Kurt! I was looking for one at ASMIC for him.

I sure hope you are willing to trade or sell this to Mason, Kurt! I was looking for one at ASMIC for him.

As I'm constantly searching out new DUI's to add to my collection, I encounter a lot of them. I'll make an extra effort to find one for Mason.

• 2 weeks later...

Kurt and Steve

I have acquired a nice 7 piece lot of 1920's & 1930's 13th FA DI's and collar devices from one of our fellow forum members. Pics bellow, Mason.

post-144745-0-24696300-1414854537.jpg

You should post the roll out pix that we worked out as well. Glad you like the insignia I sent you too. Now all we need to do is build you up a uniform to match your Grandfather's portrait. I know I have an extra Hawaiian Division patch. You'll need to find a US 11 and Crossed cannons with your Grandfather's battery letter below it. "B" I believe it is. These do pop up on ebay quite regularly and are inexpensive. You'll need the gilt type I or II collar discs. Maybe someone on the forum has them.

Finding an enlisted standing collar OD coat will take a little patients as these don't come up as frequently. You could get a WWI enlisted coat. It would be 100% correct especially with the early style DI's. Good thing I sent you a matching pair.

A hui hou

John

This is awesome. Glad when forum members can help each other out. Awesome collection and I can't wait to see that recreated uniform!!!