WWII USMC Uniform. From KIA?

USdog

Just bought this marine uniform today. I don't have it in hand yet, but it appears it is named to two different marines. One is M.Menendez and the other is hard to read, but (?) B. Valery?

The jacket appears to be dated 1942-42?

Anyways, I searched M.Menendez on ancestry and two matches came up in the muster rolls. One marine was named Miguel Menendez who appears to have served from 1937-1941 and ended as a PFC. The other marine was named Manuel Menendez who enlisted in November 1942 and was a PFC in the 2nd marines, KIA Tarawa on 20 November 1943.

The other name doesn't show up on ancestry (Valery), but they had another uniform that sold which was post war and had a china patch inside it. It was supposedly named to the same marine named Valery that's in the jacket I purchased.

So I'm leaning towards the jacket once being issued to the KIA Marine, Manuel Menendez, since the jacket is dated the year he enlisted, 1942. Also, the 1942 date would suggest that it couldn't have been worn by Miguel Menendez, right? Lastly, I have read here that KIA uniforms were in fact recycled, which would support what I'm thinking.

What are your thoughts on this one?

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Actually just found him... His name was Lorenzo B Valerio and enlisted in 1946 and was in China with the 1st Marines.

Any opinions on Menendez?

1930artdeco

Does anyone else find it a bit creepy to wear a recycled KIA uniform? I know most of the guys that wore these are now gone. But, if someone handed me a uniform from someone that was KIA, I don't know, I just find it a bit creepy.

Mike

There would really be no way to tell that the coat was from a KIA at the time.

But If I knew I wouldn't want to wear it!

LF

I'm leaning towards the KIA,

I wouldn't be surprised if there was once a 2nd MarDiv SSI ghost outline on the jacket.

LF

Just got it in the mail today. Smells like smoke :( so it's in the garage until it airs out. But I can't complain for $15 +shipping :)

One question... Do you think it would be worth getting Menendez's file?

Thanks for the help....

Yes you are correct or he just never put one on any of his coats.

Always nice to have that confirmation

LF

• 4 weeks later...

I'm bringing this thread back up because when I re-examined it, I found some very faint ink and low and behold, after close examination and added effects, the name turned out to be MANUEL MENENDEZ. Confirmed! Take a look...

First is the original pic, second the same pic with special effects, 3rd is with special effects and re-drawn on the computer. Last two are another angle with added effects.

PFC Menendez's file should come soon. Will keep you guys posted!

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AAF_Collection

Great work!. May I ask exactly what you did to the picture to enhance the name? I have a very nice named AAF gunners uniform, unfortunately the name and laundry number are rather faded and NARA won't run a search based on what little I have,.

Thanks,

Matt.

Yes. I used the app "Photo Editor" on the iPhone.

BTW everyone- the records came recently and will post what I have later today!

Here it is.

PFC Manuel Menendez was in Company K, 3rd Battalion, 2nd Marines and his company landed at Red Beach One on Tarawa, 20 November 1943 at 20 years old.

In the research I found that his Captain who landed with him, told his family that he PFC Menendez was killed before they hit the beach and that he suffered no pain. From what I read, their company suffered 50% casualties in the first 2 hours of the battle. :(

His body had not been recovered from what I'm seeing in the records, but maybe his body was found eventually? I hope so, but I know there are still many missing on Tarawa though.

RIP Marine.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image