Enlisted Full Dress Helmet EGA Variants

Brig

Hasn't been a whole lot of action on the EGA forum lately, so figured I'd share with you a few variants of the elusive enlisted dress helmet EGA. We've discussed this emblem plenty in the past, but never really discussed the fact that there are several variants out there. I have three to share, but there are at least 2-3 more variants out there I'm still seeking.

First, full views of the three variants. The top one I've seen referred to as a band variation, but have seen no evidence to verify that fact. The bottom left and right are similar, but have their differences

101_5882.JPG

A comparison of the heads. Notice the distinctive, almost serpent like shape of the top 'Band' emblem. On the bottom two, notice the differences in the eyes and shape of the inside of the beak

101_5871.JPG

The globes. The first is the 'band' emblem, and has been so well polished in its day that it's hard to tell if Cuba was polished off, or never existed on this variant. I'm assuming polished off. Notice the first two have similar continent shapes, but the third is distinctly different

101_5874.JPG

The crossbars of the anchors. Notice the differences of the lines on the 'band' emblem, doubled up

101_5877.JPG

And lastly, rear attachements on the Eagles. The 'band' emblem at one time had sets of prongs on it to attach, but they were removed and replaced with a center attachment at some point during the era. The other two have sets of stabilizer pins on the wingtips, and screwposts in the globe

101_5880.JPG

normaninvasion

Brig, this is a great educational post. Although I collect later periods, I have also wanted more info regarding these variations. This is big help for collectors.

teufelhunde.ret

Good pictorial of three die variations, several more examples out there. The forthcoming EGA book will reveal more. Release date at the end of the year, around the holidays.

suwanneetrader

I've always passed on these when price is over $35. - $40. as I was told 90% are restrikes. Is this so and are they (like most CW headcover insignia) struck with original dies by companies like Bannerman? How should a collector be more certain he has found a period example? Richard

teufelhunde.ret

R, no different than looking at other period insignia of the era. The more you handle, the more comfortable you become. Yes, the restrikes from Bannerman and others using these period dies are the issue, depends, do you want restrikes (AKA copies, etc) or period worn originals. There is never really an issue in telling between the two, one should be able to see the difference between an item worn daily and made 125 years ago, and something made and stuffed in a box 75 years ago....

And yes, I'd say 98% of them out there are not period worn originals. It seems half a dozen Bannermans and repops sell on eBay every week for over 200 each! :rolleyes:

This is one of those emblems you really need to educate yourself on and handle, like the collar disks, just so highly reproduced

Good pictorial of three die variations, several more examples out there. The forthcoming EGA book will reveal more. Release date at the end of the year, around the holidays.

Hopefully the last delay

• 1 year later...
SgtMaddoxUSMC

Don't know how I missed this one! Those are pretty awesome birds Brig! Someday I hope I can add one to my collection!

Good thread Brig, I have never seen the one you are calling a "band variation" before. I have one in all silver, that I figured was for band, or is an officer version that was never plated with gold.

Mike

Leatherneck72

Would be interested to hear what makes the middle one a "band" emblem. Like Mike, I always associated the silver ones as being meant for band member use.

Would be interested to hear what makes the middle one a "band" emblem. Like Mike, I always associated the silver ones as being meant for band member use.

I recalled seeing the silver variant of that pattern years ago on here, but had forgotten it was silver, and it had the same distinct head, which is likely where I derived the term when I made this thread last year