Goodwill is my "PAL"

lazyluke

Was shopping a Goodwill store recently and in the glass display case I saw what looked to be a vintage Ka-Bar. First off I noticed U.S.N. on the sheath. The blade was marked U.S. NAVY on one side and the other had RH - PAL - 37. At first I was a little disappointed that it wasn't a USMC Ka-Bar but figured that is was most likely a Navy fighting knife so I handed over my $16.00.

Did a little internet searching when I got home and got quite excited about my find. I learned that PAL Blade Co. bought the knfe division from Remington and took over production, using Rem's model numbers. From what I read I think I have a WW2 era, Right Hand, Model 3, 7 inch blade, fighting knife. A little damage to the snap and some spacers.

Am I correct? Did I do good?

0052_zps10d6ec03.jpg

015_zpsf6095bfd.jpg

0042_zps84f812cf.jpg

001_zps5d70ddbb.jpg

Nice RH37.Have never seen a knife at the good wills I use to visit.The area one had a guy who use to snag all the military so not much ever hit the floor

The meaning of the model number is as follows: RH = Remington Hunting; 3 = Style 3; 7 = 7 inch blade. You got a great deal on your knife, man. Congrats!

Yea, you did good!, real good! While it could be argued that the knife does have some condition issues, it's condition is such that it would be hard to upgrade. IMHO, I think it's safe to say that you got the knife for less than 10 cents on the dollar for what it's going value would be.

Hello,

it's a very nice knife indeed, but PAL RH-37's are not rare and among the red spacers knives, probably the easiest to find.

However, for $16, you did very well B)

E

Catfishcraig

I agree with Sactroop. It would be difficult to upgrade without paying over $100. You did very well.

Congrats

If I want to display this knife would it be prudent to wipe the steel down with Rem Oil or such, as there are a few rust spots on it? Or should it be left alone to preserve collector value?

Still-A-Marine

I use gun oil and go over the metal with 0000 steel wool. It will knock off the rust and not damage the rest. You can leave a thin coat of oil or wipe all the oil off and coat the metal with Renaissance Micro-Crystalline Wax.

Bill

Thanks for all replies. I'm very happy with my find and it will make a great addition to my meager collection.

gunbunnyB/3/75FA

sheesh, the local goodwill in my area usually never puts "dangerous weapons" out for sale.( their words not mine),