WW2 USMC Depot shovel cover?

jbassmaster18

jbassmaster18

This came out of the same collection I have been posting about. Came with nice 1944 T handle shovel. Is this cover the real deal?? Anytime I see USMC marked items it scares me.

post-67068-0-58180400-1403298562.jpg

post-67068-0-29450800-1403298576.jpg

Sorry, not a WWI/WWII DQP shovel cover. There is some evidence the depot made shover covers similar to this in the 50's but I dont have much interest in this period and those ones can be found cheap on e-bay.

In my opinion, another bad/fake item from that estate :( proceed with caution!!

-Steve

RustyCanteen

I agree with Steve. Sorry, but I would pass on it in a heartbeat. I see less that I like than what I like.

jbassmaster18

I pulled a thread from it and did the "burn test" It melted. Nylon thread. I obviously passed. I think this guy saw something marked USMC and bought it........

RustyCanteen

I pulled a thread from it and did the "burn test" It melted. Nylon thread. I obviously passed. I think this guy saw something marked USMC and bought it........

You definitely did the right thing passing on it.

Did this come out of a long-time collection?

jbassmaster18

Yeah. The same collection as all the USMC stuff I have been posting about. LOTS of nice items, but some fakes too.

RustyCanteen

It never hurts to be cautious when it comes to WWII Marine equipment anyway, but especially so if there are that many questionable or bad items.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...

It's more likely that it's a reproduction by the looks of it

Does anyone have a picture of a real Boyt cover? Ive noticed in the 782 Gear book there is a picture of shovel cover with the straps on opposite sides like this.