My Combat Medical Doctor's Helmet/More Historical Information

Theorywolf

I have the link below for Dr. Pesnel's captain-marked helmet for more information. I recently found a site that is very evocative of the role of the good doctor as head of a Displaced Persons camp in Germany in April, 1945. Made up of letters sent home, the story is very insightful of how Medical doctors and staff had to struggle with the overwelming task of taking care of so many displaced people, many of whom were sick and injured. You get an insider's look at the hard work and service of our medical personnel during this time period of the war. This is a great contribution to the grouping that I maintain of Dr. Pesnel's military service. See link below for his personal story!

Cheers,

Mike

http://www.dpcamps.org/etzel.html

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/132891-an-old-friend-returns/

post-576-0-78307400-1403145200.jpg

SergeantMajorGray

Thanks my friend! We need to get together soon!

Cheers,

Mike

Yes we do I'd like to see these in person!

USMC-RECON0321

Mike,

Another GREAT documented helmet and a pic of it in use by the vet!! Top shelf (if there is any room left) :o

Troy

HI Tory,

Moved here to Wilmington, NC and now I have my own "Man Cave!" Ordering some manniquins for some of my groupings! :)

Thanks,

Mike

That Man Cave must be something to see, Mike. Glad the new house gives you the chance to display some of your best pieces.

Bill

Thanks Bill! Well, just a small bedroom that I freed up for the collection. I'm sending you a PM!

Cheers,

Mike

• 3 years later...
OLDVETERANOFWW2

I was a Medic with Captain M. Edwin Pesnel part of the time when he was performing duties in Camp Etzel. The 518th Medical Clearing Company arrived in Europe 11 March 1945 and left France 20August 1945.

I missed some of the fun as I became sick and returned to the school where we were then billeted.

Incidentally, I have a copy of the official records of the various locations of the 518th Medical Clearing Company. I don't know whether attaching a copy is possible.

OLDVETERANOFWW2

I'm uncertain as to what more you wish. The story of the assignment at Etzel was from a series of letters which were collated by, I believe, Capt Pesnel's daughter. Her brother sent a copy on to me and I had it posted on a website. I'm quite certain that I asked permission to post it. Last time I looked the site was gone.

I found M. Edwin Pesnel after many years had gone by. It was interesting to find him. He had become blind, at least to some degree, and he wrote letters to me using large letters. Neither he nor I could recall the names of the other EM who were on the same assignment to Etzel. Such is old age!

Since the no longer extant site had my name and email address I have rec'd inquiries from persons who had some connection with Etzel or relatives did. Apparently Etzel was once some sort of military installation and its exact location has been difficult to ascertain by those searching for it.

An excerpt from a letter to me from the daughter of an Army officer apparently associated with the DP Camp system.

For some reason I am not able to paste it. I believe anyone interested would find it enlightening. How can I copy text in this forum?

I'm uncertain as to what more you wish. The story of the assignment at Etzel was from a series of letters which were collated by, I believe, Capt Pesnel's daughter. Her brother sent a copy on to me and I had it posted on a website. I'm quite certain that I asked permission to post it. Last time I looked the site was gone.

I found M. Edwin Pesnel after many years had gone by. It was interesting to find him. He had become blind, at least to some degree, and he wrote letters to me using large letters. Neither he nor I could recall the names of the other EM who were on the same assignment to Etzel. Such is old age!

Since the no longer extant site had my name and email address I have rec'd inquiries from persons who had some connection with Etzel or relatives did. Apparently Etzel was once some sort of military installation and its exact location has been difficult to ascertain by those searching for it.

An excerpt from a letter to me from the daughter of an Army officer apparently associated with the DP Camp system.

For some reason I am not able to paste it. I believe anyone interested would find it enlightening. How can I copy text in this forum?

Welcome and thanks for adding your history here.

Maybe one of the moderators can contact you and you can email items to them to post.

Best of luck

Sorry but just now seeing this post. We have communicated before, about five years ago. I really appreciate the information you have shared with me and the forum. I have a copy of the Camp Etzel Letters in my helmet grouping. It is an amazing narrative and adds so much to the grouping. I would love to have more information if possible about the official whereabouts of the 518th! I am messaging you now with my email address where you can send an attachment. Again, thanks for your service and great to see you on the forum.

Cheers,

Mike

OLDVETERANOFWW2

One item about the DP camp that I always have remembered is a remark by a Polish DP man. Having had two years of German in Hi School I could converse in a limited fashion with the DP since so many had lived years in Deutschland that they had learned the language. He said one of our problems would be Russia and was he ever right!

One of the enlisted men in our group could speak Polish. I think his name was Borowski.

OLDVETERANOFWW2

"May 25, 1945
I have written you a great deal about what I am doing and you should have a pretty good idea by now. But now since some of the censorship regulations have been lifted I can tell you more.
On the first of April I joined the G-5 Section of the First U.S. Army. G05 takes care of all European Civil Affairs. From there I was attached to a Displaced Persons detachment which takes care of all DP’s other than Germans. This detachment was at Brauwieler, which is just west of Cologne. At that time the Ruhr Pocket was still holding out and we had a little shellfire but not too bad. I only stayed there two days at that time and then went to Etzel Barracks, still in the same vicinity, to open up a Polish Camp. The first night at Etzel 78 trucks rolled in carrying 5000 assorted European Displaced Persons. It was quite a scramble for three days and then the old detachment left Brauwieler and I returned there to take over that camp and the supervision of Etzel and Ossendorf all totaling about 20,000 people."

I have permission of the daughter of an American officer who supervised DP camps to post excerpt from a letter he wrote and she transcribed. Probably should be Breiweiler.