WWII U.S.M.C. Picture, Combat Veteran!

Patriot

This just came in the mail today. This came from eBay, with a very disturbing description. The auction title read, "Ventriloquists Dummy Joins the Marines" - the seller seemed like a real unpatriotic douche bag. At any rate, I loved the picture, and it needed a good home. The ribbon bar rack is great! We can see his Presidential Unit Citation, Purple Heart, American Defense, and Pacific Campaign with two campaign stars. Very crisp, clear image of marine typical of the era, a youthful existence forever changed by war.

The back of the image is named in pen, "Ray Davis" - he must have enjoyed a lot of FLaK from fellow marines, considering that there was a famous Marine Corps General Ray Davis who had served at the same time he did.

Does anyone have any idea as to what unit he served in? Maybe the MCPUC can offer some help to those that might like to find out where Ray had served.

Thanks, and enjoy!

Patriot

post-2801-1213117634.jpg

316th FS 324th FG

Was it dated? 3rd Marine Reg at the Battle of Guam in 44, or 2nd Marine Div at Battle of Tarawa in 43. Anyone with a roster for subordinate units might be able to check for the name.

Nice save.

D

Teufelhunde,

You can definitely see a lot in his eyes, that's for sure!

D,

There is no date on this. It's just marked on the back, in blue pen, "Ray Davis". I have no idea how many units were awarded the PUC, but if what you listed is it, then this shouldn't be that hard to research. (I would suspect that there were other regiments) Nonetheless, any information on who this Marine was would be outstanding.

If it should be any help - I think that he was from Arizona, as that is where the pic came from. No guarantee, but that should be a start.

Thanks for the comments, and thank you for looking!!

Patriot

jeremiahcable

Great image and interesting for a couple of reasons. He is wearing and EM visor but the blouse is clearly an officer quality piece and has officer EGAs on the collars. Interesting combination and as you said, a very fine image. I believe all 6 MarDivs earned a PUC during the war so tracing this guy might prove very difficult. He could be an Air Winger as well.

ItemCo16527

Wow, that is a great photo. I love WWII-era studio portraits. Unfortunately, with so many PUC's awarded to Marine Divisions, Regiments, Battalions, and Companies, figuring out what unit he was with based on that would be impossible. The name may be the best way to start your research.

The seller's description really makes my blood boil. To describe that brave young Marine that way is just disgusting.

• 7 years later...

Great portrait. I'm sure he didn't get too much flak for his name during WWII, the well-known Ray Davis earned his MOH in Korea