80 replies to this topic

#76 General Apathy

General Apathy
  • Members
    • Member ID: 344
  • 11,622 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 11:21 AM

M-43 folding shovel covers 1st pattern

Two M-43 shovel covers both 1st pattern with fixed position hooks on the rear. Variation of webbing and edging used in the manufacture, both dated 1943.

lewis

.fullsizeoutput_fc8.jpeg

#77 General Apathy

General Apathy
  • Members
  • 11,622 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 11:23 AM

M-43 folding shovel covers 1st pattern

Two M-43 shovel covers both 1st pattern with fixed position hooks on the rear. Variation of webbing and edging used in the manufacture, both dated 1943.

lewis

.fullsizeoutput_fce.jpeg

#78 mikie

mikie
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,687
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 12:35 PM

Way back in the ancient pre-internet days and before I got into collecting (as opposed to just having a few things), I needed a bag to use on an upcoming trip. I found this 1944 dated pack at a surplus store.  I thought that it was made up of 3 different colored materials was cool. It worked great so started taking it everywhere. As you can see, wore it the heck out.  Years later I found out about the mixed colors and had a serious DOH!  moment about ruining the pack. It reignited my interest in militaria and so here I am.

M44 Bag Trans .jpg

M44 bag Trans back.jpg

I love this pack.  It worked out so well on that trip that I carried it everywhere.  Even though I retired it in favor of a 1945 dated pack 20+ years ago, once in a while I still take it out of it's revered resting place and gently use it.  The 1945 pack is all one color and while just as handy as old 3-three tone, just doesn't have that wonderful character to it.  

Mikie

#79 'Flage Guy

'Flage Guy
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,226
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 08:11 PM

Two color M-36 pack . . . . . . . . . . .

This is not only a two color or mis-matched color musette, the whole body of the pack is made of the rubberised type of canvas, while the flap is just normal single ply canvas, I would have thought that the top flap would have been most important to protect contents from rain. Virtually unused made by ' Arnold Mfg. 1943 '

lewis.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_1318.jpeg

Hey Ken, great to see you're still about!!

That M36 Bag is really something, as it appears to be an example of utilizing available fabric (besides being a screamer Bag); I thought they had done away with the Latex-ized material by '43. The waterproofed ones I have are dated '42.

Forgot to mention: that Smock is a killer. :P I was finally blessed with one of these 4 years ago next month!

Edited by 'Flage Guy, 18 November 2019 - 08:19 PM.

#80 'Flage Guy

'Flage Guy
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,226
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 08:17 PM

Way back in the ancient pre-internet days and before I got into collecting (as opposed to just having a few things), I needed a bag to use on an upcoming trip. I found this 1944 dated pack at a surplus store.  I thought that it was made up of 3 different colored materials was cool. It worked great so started taking it everywhere. As you can see, wore it the heck out.  Years later I found out about the mixed colors and had a serious DOH!  moment about ruining the pack. It reignited my interest in militaria and so here I am.

attachicon.gifM44 Bag Trans .jpg

attachicon.gifM44 bag Trans back.jpg

I love this pack.  It worked out so well on that trip that I carried it everywhere.  Even though I retired it in favor of a 1945 dated pack 20+ years ago, once in a while I still take it out of it's revered resting place and gently use it.  The 1945 pack is all one color and while just as handy as old 3-three tone, just doesn't have that wonderful character to it.  

Mikie

Mikie, great story. I started going nuts over this stuff back in 1960, and got into it the same way you did, starting with an "Ames 1943" folding shovel my Grandfather gave me. I used the snot out of my old surplus stuff when I was a kid- now, I snicker when I see myself handling all these rugged combat goods with white gloves :lol:

#81 General Apathy

General Apathy
  • Members
  • 11,622 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 06:23 AM

Hey Ken, great to see you're still about!!

That M36 Bag is really something, as it appears to be an example of utilizing available fabric (besides being a screamer Bag); I thought they had done away with the Latex-ized material by '43. The waterproofed ones I have are dated '42.

Forgot to mention: that Smock is a killer. :P I was finally blessed with one of these 4 years ago next month!

Hi Flage Guy,  many thanks for taking a look at my recent posts, I will not be arguing with you that that M-36 bag is a screamer as you call it, so unusual construction and condition. 

Attached below is a Mountebourg farm find about six or seven years ago, Mountebourg is mid way between Cherbourg and Ste Mere Eglise.  It was a great find and I have it in my Jeep spares shoeboxes, I don't use it as its an original piece, aIso I drive the Jeep with the screen down whatever weather. What is interesting is it's construction, the top section front to rear is three ply with ' rubberised ' material sandwiched between, the top surface is dark O.D, and the underside light O.D. It is also bordered all around with what I would describe as a Rexine edging, most early screen covers were edged with this same material.  The rear drop is just single ply heavy grade O.D. canvas.

regards lewis

.Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 15.03.38.jpeg

.Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 15.03.38.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users