Craigslist find

kies99

Picked this up yesterday evening about 15 miles from my house. Not bad for $30! Has mirrored back and two shelves that are made of 4 pieces of glass so I can rearrange. Measures 4 foot long by 38 inches high. The top is 16 inches deep but the front slopes out to make it 20 inches deep at the bottom. VERY HAPPY I got this!

post-93934-0-16054600-1402781416.jpg

post-93934-0-38185000-1402781431.jpg

Thanks everyone! It was really dirty and had a boatload of spider webs, but it cleaned up really well and actually quite easily.

And ignore the East German flag. My collecting tastes are quite eclectic!

AverageJoeWWII

Collecting display pieces is a hobby in it self. Hard to find cheap display cases. Nice find

BigDogMilitaria

That is a great case and a great price! Looks to be in really good shape too. Cant wait to see it filled up!

• 3 weeks later...

**UPDATE**

When cleaning this out I noticed I had a problem. It's a single track shelf system and there was no way to hold two glass shelves together on the middle arm. I quickly fixed that by cutting some 1/2" wood to the same shape as the middle arm and bolting it to the metal arm to create a wider rest for the glass shelves. I then added a set of Dioder lights from Ikea (two LED bars are on top in the front and one down either side. I'm happy with the results.

Take a look!

post-93934-0-60154200-1404137188.jpg

On that middle bracket...they make a special plastic fitting that clips over it to provide "tabs" for the shelves to sit on...although those normally get lost in transit because they're loose fitting; they may or may not have a "lip" on the end to keep the shelves from working their way forward. I've also had glass shelves cut slightly longer than the regular shelf length so that they overlap/rest on each other.

You might also keep an eye out for stores gong out of business...an good way to get all matching cases...also check with the managers at your local WalMarts, Targets, etc...every few years they replace all their cases with new styles/colors, and can be a good way to get a bunch of matching fixtures - not just cases, but slat walls, pedestals, frames, etc...obviously, jewelry stores are a good place to look too...

Mark sends

manayunkman

Great collection and display.

What is really hard to find is a front opening display case so you can get in and out without moving furniture.

On that middle bracket...they make a special plastic fitting that clips over it to provide "tabs" for the shelves to sit on...although those normally get lost in transit because they're loose fitting; they may or may not have a "lip" on the end to keep the shelves from working their way forward. I've also had glass shelves cut slightly longer than the regular shelf length so that they overlap/rest on each other.

You might also keep an eye out for stores gong out of business...an good way to get all matching cases...also check with the managers at your local WalMarts, Targets, etc...every few years they replace all their cases with new styles/colors, and can be a good way to get a bunch of matching fixtures - not just cases, but slat walls, pedestals, frames, etc...obviously, jewelry stores are a good place to look too...

Mark sends

Thanks for the tip! I know someone who works at Wal-Mart. I'll have to talk to her about that.

What is really hard to find is a front opening display case so you can get in and out without moving furniture.

Isn't that the truth! I've had to move it multiple times to add a single item into the display. I'm going to put it on those plastic furniture glide thingy's and see if that makes it easier. If not, I may put wheels on it.

Nope...this is an easy fix...go to WalMart and buy some "magic disks"...they're the hard plastic do-dads you use to slide furniture around. You can get them in circles and rectangles, and with sticky backs...put one in each corner for small cases, or for larger cases (i.e. 6 feet or longer) one in each corner, and one in the front and back center...you can normally move the case with one hand after that.....I have them on all my cases here...even the 8-footers slide with ease...the 4 foot cases can be moved, turned etc with one hand!

Like these, for example...you can get the ones that stick, or ones that can be used on a temporary basis, and you want to use the ones that are hard plastic:

http://www.lowes.com/Storage-Organization/Moving-Supplies/Furniture-Sliders/_/N-1z0ylxk/pl

Mark sends

Nope...this is an easy fix...go to WalMart and buy some "magic disks"...they're the hard plastic do-dads you use to slide furniture around. You can get them in circles and rectangles, and with sticky backs...put one in each corner for small cases, or for larger cases (i.e. 6 feet or longer) one in each corner, and one in the front and back center...you can normally move the case with one hand after that.....I have them on all my cases here...even the 8-footers slide with ease...the 4 foot cases can be moved, turned etc with one hand!

Like these, for example...you can get the ones that stick, or ones that can be used on a temporary basis, and you want to use the ones that are hard plastic:

http://www.lowes.com/Storage-Organization/Moving-Supplies/Furniture-Sliders/_/N-1z0ylxk/pl

Mark sends

Thanks Mark. Good to have someone weigh in with real experience. If I can, I'll be getting some of those tonight.

No worries! Since I normally have to do all the heavy work myself, I look for as many shortcuts as I can find!

Mark sends

Looks like you already need another case!

Funny you should say that! Yesterday I had a message on my machine from a woman at my wife's church. She said they were cleaning and she had some WWII stuff for me. Went and picked up a big stack of ration books and related items (which I'll show later once I've gone through it all). While picking this up we were talking and I brought up that I had bought this case to display some stuff. Her husband, who is kind of the caretaker at the church, said they had actually just made the decision to get rid of a display case at church and asked if I wanted it. :o

I'm measuring it up this week and hope to have in a couple of days! I'm so glad my wife and I agreed when we bought our house that I could have one room to do with as I please and she could do whatever she wants with the rest of it. Her only stipulation was that it have a door so she could close it and not look at my stuff. :lol: