COLLINS MACHETE No. 23

GICOP

Please can anyone give me some info about this Collins machete?

It is numbered 23 on the blade and 14 on the scabbard.

Both the blade and scabbard are in excellent condition.

The handle is green horn.

I would like to find out its approximate year of manufacture and what, if any, its connection to any of the United States Armed forces were.

bladeandscabbard.jpg

bladeandscabbardreversed.jpg

SCABBARDNO14.jpg

Stampingonblade.jpg

Many thanks for any help

Please can anyone give me some info about this Collins machete?

It is numbered 23 on the blade and 14 on the scabbard.

Both the blade and scabbard are in excellent condition.

The handle is green horn.

I would like to find out its approximate year of manufacture and what, if any, its connection to any of the United States Armed forces were.

bladeandscabbard.jpg

bladeandscabbardreversed.jpg

SCABBARDNO14.jpg

Stampingonblade.jpg

Many thanks for any help

24" machete, slightly curved blade. The stamping on the blade is the Spanish Logo and believed last used in 1937 and was most likely created for sales to Mexico. The handle is the 'Model 4' handle and the horn material predates WW2 and is Cow Horn. The number 14 sheath appeared prior to 1891 and was designed for use with the longer machetes. The handle would enter the sheath slightly and would help keep it sheathed. Belt loop riveted to the back. All of the above information came from "Collins Machetes and Bowies 1845-1965" written by Daniel Edward Henry. The book also said that for some South American Exports the pointed blade had to be cut off at an angle to qualify it as an agricultural tool instead of a weapon and the new number was 323. I would judge by the information I found scanning the book that your machete went South of the Border before WW2. It is in extremely nice condition as is the sheath and worthy of hanging on to. Regards.

24" machete, slightly curved blade. The stamping on the blade is the Spanish Logo and believed last used in 1937 and was most likely created for sales to Mexico. The handle is the 'Model 4' handle and the horn material predates WW2 and is Cow Horn. The number 14 sheath appeared prior to 1891 and was designed for use with the longer machetes. The handle would enter the sheath slightly and would help keep it sheathed. Belt loop riveted to the back. All of the above information came from "Collins Machetes and Bowies 1845-1965" written by Daniel Edward Henry. The book also said that for some South American Exports the pointed blade had to be cut off at an angle to qualify it as an agricultural tool instead of a weapon and the new number was 323. I would judge by the information I found scanning the book that your machete went South of the Border before WW2. It is in extremely nice condition as is the sheath and worthy of hanging on to. Regards.

Hi Keith

Many thanks for your info thumbsup.gif

WVUM1shooter

Even though its not military its still a nice item. collins always did make a nice knife, the scabbards are always well crafted. I wish there were more of them out there.