Anyone out there build missile kit models?

coli8344

I by no means claim to be as good as what I've seen on the model forum, but I do enjoy the ICBM missile modeling area. I was a Minuteman II launch officer in the 80's. I found this 1960's Monogram missile kit and put it together mainly to use as an AV when I talked to kids at schools about the cold war.

Carlos Olivo

Original Base: Whiteman AFB, MO 351st Strategic Missile Wing

post-152401-0-23580500-1402621537.jpg

Very nice. I am surprised you found the model kit still intact all these years. Very nicely finished and mounted.

If you get the chance, you will have to come up north and visit the Strategic Air and Space Museum outside of Omaha, NE. The selection of missiles here is a bit smaller, but I think you would enjoy it.

Outside.jpg

That's a great looking model display. Nice work. Did that Monogram kit come with all those rockets? I like the figures that you have in there to give an idea of the scale.

Well done.

Dennis

The kit came with everything to include decals and the figures to show scale. The 50 yo decals were tricky but I was able to supplement some elmers and they stuck on fine. More than once I'd walk away from working on it and find a decal stuck to my hand. Thank you

Amazing that looks awesome. I definitely need to plan a visit. Thank you

Here's a couple of links on the museum:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/169623-update-for-the-strategic-air-and-space-museum/?hl=%2Bstrategic+%2Bair+%2Bmuseum

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/128437-strategic-air-and-space-museum/?hl=%2Bstrategic+%2Bair+%2Bmuseum

It was originally made up from aircraft that were on static display at Offutt AFB, Omaha (Bellevue).

Send F 3.jpg

Proud Kraut

Now that's an awesome display, thanks for sharing. Since it is a 1960's kit I would like to add a rocket recognition sheet from a 1960's Western Germany military journal. The largest one listed there is a Titan II. Does that match with your display? Anyway, great kit, very well done!

Lars

P.S.: Could you please tell us the scale, is it 1/72?

P.P.S.: Nice pool as well!

RakArt.jpg

See that's the great thing about this forum, I have been able to get information like this that I wouldn't get elsewhere, thank you. Yes, that's a Titan II. If it's ok with you I'd like to print out the chart to add to by collection data. Carlos

Proud Kraut

See that's the great thing about this forum, I have been able to get information like this that I wouldn't get elsewhere, thank you. Yes, that's a Titan II. If it's ok with you I'd like to print out the chart to add to by collection data. Carlos

You're welcome! If you need better scans with higher resolution of front and back of the sheets (with tech. data), just let me know.

Lars

Proud Kraut

Lars, could you send the higher res pic? If it's not too much trouble. This really is a great chart.

PM on the way.

Proud Kraut

I remember the Revell kits, I remember seeing the Nike and the Snark, Corporal sets. Monogram also has a vintage US/USSR missile display kit.

The Monogram Missile Arsenal was 1/128 scale and there were at least two versions the one pictured and an earlier without the newer missiles. I had the earlier version and a cousin smashed it and my mom dumped it in the trash. I still have the booklet that came with it and the petral missile, it must have ended up across the room and behind something. I think it was Adams had an Honest John and LaCrosse kits on trucks and a Hawk missile battery with launcher, a tracked reloader and radar. They were an odd scale like 1/43 and somebody reissued the hawk launcher and radar in the 1970's. Search missile model kits and you can find the old kits for sale at prices that will shock you if you bought them back then.

The earlier version probably cost $2 to $3 and I saw one on Ebay for $375. I wish they would make 1/72 scale missile kits, I have thought about using missiles from aircraft kits and mounting them like that.

Robswashashore

Very nice work -- I have coveted that kit from afar for years now, but never could bring myself to pay what they want for it!

I really really needed an Atlas ICBM for a display and ended up purchasing an old already partially put-together "John Glenn/Friendship 7" model from ebay, cutting it apart, and kit bashing it into a similarity of the ICBM. The prices I found for an ICBM Atlas kit were astronomical, when I could find one. Same for the BOMARC -- I ended up doing that one in balsa wood rather than paying over $300 for the old Revell plastic kit. I was able to find re-issues of the Snark and the Nike Ajax and Hercules for about $25 on the 'bay.

post-12350-0-38525200-1403008689.jpg

post-12350-0-89332600-1403008710.jpg

Oh, and thank you for your service to our country, Mr. Olivo.

Regards, Jean

• 5 months later...