USCG Named Medal Group - Engraving info?

11-Bull

I have owned this group for several years. While I do not collect USCG material the workmanship in the beautiful mounting style caught my eye. The fact it was engraved was also of interest. I do not know if this is official engraving (or even if there is "official" engraving) for these types of medals. Any comments, input would be appreciated. Thanks, Dave.

post-895-1212986545.jpg

Nice group!! I doubt the naming is official, but since this is a relatively modern group, it doesn't matter in the least since just about all modern groups are unnamed anyways. IMHO, the naming is good as gold. I sure wish more folks would get their medals named for posterity. I know I did mine. Thanks for sharing! You have a scarce group IMHO....

-Ski

Garth Thompson

The Coast Guard stopped engraving the Good Conduct medals in the early 50's. The only ones you will see officially engraved are the "gong" type. The engraving will include the man's name, date of award and the ship or unit. The bars for subsequent award will have the date and unit/ship attached to at the time of the award.

I do know that CG Commendations were officially engraved into the 70's.

Yours is a more modern CG group with nicely done unofficial engraving.

Garth

Example CG engraving styles on the "gong" GC

post-83-1213136784.jpg