Medic Armband

Cadillac15

Cadillac15

Hopefully this is the right section, I apologize if it isn't. I just picked up a WW2 Medic Armband from Top Kick Militaria. Super excited for this to arrive. It is my first "official" piece I have bought myself to start collecting. Hopefully some Aviation/Medical Badges will come next! Thanks for looking:

post-153211-0-03633900-1402327177.jpg

post-153211-0-17929500-1402327178.jpg

post-153211-0-92625400-1402327178.jpg

post-153211-0-57085000-1402327179.jpg

If you are not familiar with the number on the back of the arm band,that is the Geneva Convention number designating a soldier(Medic, Doctor, Litter-bearer, Chaplain, etc.) as non-combatants.

If you are not familiar with the number on the back of the arm band,that is the Geneva Convention number designating a soldier(Medic, Doctor, Litter-bearer, Chaplain, etc.) as non-combatants.

Awesome! That is great information to know, I really do appreciate it. I am going to check my Geneva Convention card, I wonder if it is the same code still. Thanks for the info!

These numbers were supposed to correspond with a particular soldier for identification as an actual non-combatant. Both sides were supposed to have these records made available to them. Not too sure if this was actually accessed very often during WWII. Sadly, it appears that there is no database available in which to research these numbers.

These numbers were supposed to correspond with a particular soldier for identification as an actual non-combatant. Both sides were supposed to have these records made available to them. Not too sure if this was actually accessed very often during WWII. Sadly, it appears that there is no database available in which to research these numbers.

That makes sense. A database would have been awesome so you could actually tie it to the person, but in all honesty I don't know as though there was even a database with our Geneva ID cards. They are very similar to the old green military IDs, not anything like the new ones.

The first design WWII Geneva Convention ID is on top, the 2nd design front and back is on the bottom.

Medic ID first Pattern.jpg

Geneva Medic ID Second Pattern.jpg

Geneva Medic ID Second Pattern Back.jpg

Rakkasan187

Bugme,

Do you think that the ID number on the back of the Geneva ID card could have possibly corresponded with a medical armband assigned to the same person?

Since this topic was posted I had been wondering about the serial number on tha back of a Geneva Convention card that I have. It is exactly the same as the second version you posted. The Soldier it belonged to was in the medical corps and retiredas as First Sergeant.

Leigh

Got it in the mail today, super stoked to have gotten it. It's in amazing condition, but even having been cleaned at one point, you can tell it has been worn in the field a bit. I love it.

The museum has one named to a Navy Dr. (CDR) Helberslebun who served in the Pacific. It is very similar but lacks the number and has long white ties at either end.

The museum has one named to a Navy Dr. (CDR) Helberslebun who served in the Pacific. It is very similar but lacks the number and has long white ties at either end.

Nice! I hope to find a named one as well. Some people collect helmets, after having this in hand I know it won't be my last armband that I get.