Yellow Ranger Tab

sigma9r

I've looked around on the forum and I've been unable to find a reference to an all yellow ranger tab with black lettering. Anybody have a clue what this is?

post-1678-0-57510800-1402277965.jpg

manayunkman

Looks like a 1960's or newer Ranger Tab worn by someone who has completed the school.

This is the prescribed colors of the U.S. Army RANGER Tab as we know.

post-34986-0-73884400-1402279208.jpg

Then with the solid Yellow tab above, could it be an Error patch? That, or perhaps one of those ROTC insignias?

ROTC is my guess but I have nothing with which to verify my guess. I knew it was not regulation, just that it was "interesting"!

manayunkman

Is there a difference between becoming a Ranger and just finishing the Ranger school without joining a Ranger unit ?

manayunkman

I know a West Point grad who went to jump school got his wings went to Ranger school got his tab and went on to do something else not related to either.

This was in the early 80's and I could swear that he wore the first tab all yellow with black letters on his class A.

Thanks Tonomachi great read.

"RANGER" tab color is the same for all graduates of the school regardless of assignment. I believe at one time almost all officers were required to attend Ranger and Airborne training. I could be mistaken about the Ranger training, but a lot in the 1970's had the tab.

• 1 month later...

There have been some manufacturers who have put out some wild versions of the tab. Possibly an ROTC tab but certainly not a real Army approved tab. An old friend of mine who actually is a tabbed Ranger picked up a group of 5 different colored tabs at a flea market in Savannah GA,. As he is not a collector he didn't know what they were about. mostly just junk

I was just browsing the site and came across this: In the Grouping section-SF colonel-uniforms & misc items grouping. There is a yellow background with black RANGERS tab. dave

I was just browsing the site and came across this: In the Grouping section-SF colonel-uniforms & misc items grouping. There is a yellow background with black RANGERS tab. dave

Is this the topic dave? if so unless we missed it, we're not seeing it, just the standard Yellow on Black tab as seen on his Class A uniform in post #8.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/211475-special-forces-colonel-uniform-and-misc-items-grouping/

I know this sounds crazy but I could swear that there was a khaki dress uniform with the yellow background and black lettering tab. I guess I'd better get my glasses updated. I do believe that is the posting. Sorry

I know this sounds crazy but I could swear that there was a khaki dress uniform with the yellow background and black lettering tab. I guess I'd better get my glasses updated. I do believe that is the posting. Sorry

No worries, we all done that, me especially :lol:

• 3 months later...

I Don't know about the rest of you Rangers out there but I'm a "leg", an old leg, Ranger and my tab looked like Mikey Richards, the airborne dude standing beside me that day. Again, I collect weird things!!

I know not what the requirements are today, but here is the criteria back in 1965.

At that time all regular army officers either went to ranger or airborne school, and many did both. Upon completing the 9 week course, if one successfully passed a majority of his patrols he was awarded the Ranger Tab. Those that did not, graduated but were not awarded the Tab to be worn..

The tab was cut edge with a black background, yellow letters and a yellow edge.

I know not what the requirements are today, but here is the criteria back in 1965.

At that time all regular army officers either went to ranger or airborne school, and many did both. Upon completing the 9 week course, if one successfully passed a majority of his patrols he was awarded the Ranger Tab. Those that did not, graduated but were not awarded the Tab to be worn..

The tab was cut edge with a black background, yellow letters and a yellow edge.

I was suprised to fine that this is generally untrue. In the 60s loads of combat arms officers did not go to Jump School nor Ranger School, most did go to Jump School, but many of those officers who did go did not go Ranger School. My sources are Command & General Staff College yearbooks from the late 50s, 60s and early 70s. In the 1971 and 1972, officers have their Service info along with their portraits, more than a few, to even include Infantry Officers did not go to Abn or are tabbed.

For instance, concentrating on Infantry Officers, in the 1971 yearbook, which is grouped by Branch, there are 291 Infantry Branch graduates. I count 35 Infantry officers who do not have a Parachute Badge listed in their service info nor is one worn by them, There are a few that are in their portraits without one on their uniform, but the Badge is listed in their service info. As for Ranger Tabbed Infantry Officers, I count 149 Tabbed Infantry officers, a few tabbed officers however have no Parachute Badge listed or is there one worn by them, we see the RANGER tab, but no wings.

Now allowing for any sort of typos or discrepancies on the part of either the printer or the officer himself, who goofed in submitted his service info for the book, this gives a general overview of the officer corps during this time period. It about the same for the two other primary combat branches Artillery and Armor, even less so for the other combat support/support branches.

In the other books from the 50s and 60s I have, service infos were not included along with their portraits, but from their potraits, and again allowing for any omisssions on the part of the officer not wearing a jump badge, we do get a very good thumb sketch of how many officer went or did not go to either Jump School or Ranger. I also learned that a fair number of officers did indeed wear their Marksmanship Badges on their uniforms, agreed, the majority of them didn't, but as mentioned, a fair number did.

As stated I can only provide information as to what occurred during my time period.

I graduated in June 1964 and attended both airborne and ranger schools. At that time period officers that were commissioned in the REGULAR army were required to attend one or the other. The officer serial number prefix at that time began with OF and then the serial number to denote he was Regular Army.

As you stated there were only 35 of the 291 that did not have the airborne badge, and 149 that had the Ranger tab. That makes sense in that class sizes were a lot smaller for Ranger school when compared to Airborne school. All of the officers that I graduated with that accepted a Regular Army commission attended one or both.

As stated I can only provide information as to what occurred during my time period.

I graduated in June 1964 and attended both airborne and ranger schools. At that time period officers that were commissioned in the REGULAR army were required to attend one or the other. The officer serial number prefix at that time began with OF and then the serial number to denote he was Regular Army.

As you stated there were only 35 of the 291 that did not have the airborne badge, and 149 that had the Ranger tab. That makes sense in that class sizes were a lot smaller for Ranger school when compared to Airborne school. All of the officers that I graduated with that accepted a Regular Army commission attended one or both.

Interesting about your mention of commisioned in regular army. Would there be a real differance, as all these officers in those 60s and early 70s C&GS School books are Majors or Lieutenant Colonels and have been in awhile, and barring those we can see are from the Reserve would be in the active regular army?

Plus it's always been said that an officer of the 1960s, especially an Infantry Officer, would have his career stunted by not having all the tickets punched, ie Abn School, Ranger School etc, but given the very significant number of non jump qualified officers, or Ranger tabbed ones too we seen in these books from the 60s, even alittle earlier from the late 50s it seems not to have been the case at all, since they have been accepted to attend this school, which was a must for further advancment to eagles and stars.

I suspect the Majors from the 1972 C&GS School came in around 1964 would that be about right?