• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SergeantMajorGray

SergeantMajorGray
  • Members
    • Member ID: 104,619
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 12:13 PM

I found this old Western Electric telephone in my uncles attic with some misc surplus of my grandfathers and his Vietnam combat used e-tool. At first I thought it was just a old phone but the number card thing in the middle is interesting with ROger 2 as the name range officer 2 maybe? He was field artillery. If this is military it most likely came from Camp Lejeune where my grandfather was stationed.

we tele.jpg

Edited by SergeantMajorGray, 08 June 2014 - 12:30 PM.

#2 RustyCanteen

RustyCanteen

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 24,355
  • 15,565 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 04:15 PM

Ah yes, rotary telephones! Dialing numbers in a hurry was a whole lot different than today..

Civilian. That number on the card is the phone number. Until about the 1960s-1970s phone numbers used an alpha-numeric designation. So this number would have been RO-27577. Something like that anyway.

#3 SergeantMajorGray

SergeantMajorGray
  • Members
    • Member ID: 104,619
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 04:34 PM

Ah yes, rotary telephones! Dialing numbers in a hurry was a whole lot different than today..

Civilian. That number on the card is the phone number. Until about the 1960s-1970s phone numbers used an alpha-numeric designation. So this number would have been RO-27577. Something like that anyway.

Thanks even though it's not military it' still looks good in the war room what era is this 60s?

#4 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 2
  • 26,725 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:24 PM

Thanks even though it's not military it' still looks good in the war room what era is this 60s?

That is the same as the phone number "762-7577".

I seem to recall that most phones on military bases could not be direct dialed, but went through a switchboard, so instead of a phone number a military phone might have something like "EXT 301" (for "extension 301") written on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users