Military Telephone?

SergeantMajorGray

SergeantMajorGray

I found this old Western Electric telephone in my uncles attic with some misc surplus of my grandfathers and his Vietnam combat used e-tool. At first I thought it was just a old phone but the number card thing in the middle is interesting with ROger 2 as the name range officer 2 maybe? He was field artillery. If this is military it most likely came from Camp Lejeune where my grandfather was stationed.

post-104619-0-84124500-1402258343.jpg

RustyCanteen

Ah yes, rotary telephones! Dialing numbers in a hurry was a whole lot different than today..

Civilian. That number on the card is the phone number. Until about the 1960s-1970s phone numbers used an alpha-numeric designation. So this number would have been RO-27577. Something like that anyway.

SergeantMajorGray

Ah yes, rotary telephones! Dialing numbers in a hurry was a whole lot different than today..

Civilian. That number on the card is the phone number. Until about the 1960s-1970s phone numbers used an alpha-numeric designation. So this number would have been RO-27577. Something like that anyway.

Thanks even though it's not military it' still looks good in the war room what era is this 60s?

Bob Hudson

Thanks even though it's not military it' still looks good in the war room what era is this 60s?

That is the same as the phone number "762-7577".

I seem to recall that most phones on military bases could not be direct dialed, but went through a switchboard, so instead of a phone number a military phone might have something like "EXT 301" (for "extension 301") written on it.