The Men of D-Day

GIKyle

With the 70th Anniversary of the Normandy Invasion tomorrow (or today in the ETO!) I pulled out some of my groups to men who participated in that great feat of arms. First is a macro shot of three 101st groups. From L-R, HQ 2/501 LMG Plt Ike with gravity knife captured in Normandy and cricket. Middle case is to a Regimental HQ 506 medic, and a HQ 2/506 Commo Plt man who was SWA on 6 June with his cricket.

post-537-0-45520000-1402015426.jpg

Here is a closeup of the RHQ 506 medic. A thread on his group can be found here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/153407-t4-paul-r-miller-regimental-506-medical-section/

post-537-0-04893900-1402015540.jpg

The first Ike to a member of the 2/501 LMG PLTwho made all of the missions of the 101st - His is unique because he does not have a Purple Heart. Fans of the 101st will recognize that this is the same platoon that Charles Eckman was in, who was wounded in excess of ten times during the war. the Ike has a nice 501 oval, wing with 2 stars and assorted ribbons. Of note, a WWI Occupation ribbon is in the pocket.

post-537-0-71075900-1402015704.jpg

post-537-0-84916500-1402015761.jpg

This Ike to the 2/506 Commo man regrettably only has one British made DI, but still possesses great history. As mentioned he was WIA in Normandy, and again in Holland, but completed all the missions of the 101st. He is documented as WIA on 6 June as the result of a bullet that passed through his helmet, only wounding him in the process. Of note here is his cricket, that had a nail punched through in order to fasten it to a dogtag chain, or other securing method.

post-537-0-49880600-1402015931.jpg

post-537-0-09300400-1402015945.jpg

FInally a couple groups from the 4th Infantry Division. The first is to a medic who made it through the landing unscathed, but was later wounded twice and earned a Silver Star in the Fall of '44. A thread on his group can be found here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/154621-4th-infantry-division-combat-medic-grouping/

post-537-0-83160500-1402016221.jpg

The last group is poignant to me. This man survived the initial landings on the 6th, only to be KIA on the 7th. Included is the notification telegram written in pencil, as well as a telegram from the soldier's mother to his brother in the Navy informing him of the news. His dog tag and casket tag were included along with the engraved Purple Heart.

post-537-0-97127600-1402016231.jpg

Thanks for looking, and please feel free to add your Normandy heroes to this thread.

Kyle

John Conway

It's getting hard to be complimentary here without saying the same thing over and over but impressive and a sobering reminder of the WW2 generation who bought freedom for many with their Blood, sweat and tears. Nice job Kyle - thanks for sharing!

Timberwolf

What an awesome display! I wish I could add something to this, but all of my uniforms were men that were post Normandy (some very early though).

Thanks for sharing these groupings as we remember their feats from 70 years ago.

Robert

bootsandbooks

FInally a couple groups from the 4th Infantry Division. The first is to a medic who made it through the landing unscathed, but was later wounded twice and earned a Silver Star in the Fall of '44. A thread on his group can be found here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/154621-4th-infantry-division-combat-medic-grouping/

I'll post this to the original thread also: From Twenty Second Infantry Regiment Battle Casualties World War II, compiled by Robert S Rush, CSM (Ret) March 1994: Snedegar, Ezra O, Pvt, MD/22, WIA, 8/8/44 (MD/22 is the abbreviation for Medical Company / 22nd Infantry - the listing does not indicate attachment to a specific company)

I love the captured FJ knife!

Imagine the bravery it took to get this souvenir.

thanks for sharing..

-Brian

Thank you all for the comments. Regarding the knife- there are initials carved into one side and St C into the other. The latter makes me think this may have been captured around St Come du Mont, but that's only speculation.

Kyle

Hello Kyle- Many thanks for posting your great items. One question- on your 501st Ike- do you know anything about the honor aguillette on the right shoulder on this uniform. This indeed is a rare aguillette and original. I have the same type of aguillette on an original 82nd Ike and have had no luck in identifying this aguillette. Thanks. vern

Vern, the information I received was that it is a variation of the Dutch Lanyard. I don't have information as to where they came from, however.

Kyle

Hello Kyle- Very very interesting. Thank you for the information. Vern

Kyle, I'll add another, a local GP flew with the 437th TCG and brought in elements of the 82nd on D-Day. The best part is the photo of 'his' glider and the bullion English made wing. D-day was his only glider mission. Hope you like, Mark

post-527-0-32258300-1402086700.jpg

post-527-0-29410000-1402086713.jpg

post-527-0-55397200-1402086721.jpg

GIKyle,

Great stuff and I am personally very fond of the 506th Medic tribute. While the jump these heroes made 70 years ago is nothing short of historic, it doesn't rate up there with the jump you had today! Congrats on your new baby girl Marion! If she's like her Dad, she'll have plenty of more jumps to follow!

Congratulations again!

Jake

Here is my tribute to one of the first men on the ground jumping from Captain Frank Lillymans stick as a 502 pathfinder. It includes a large portion of his Normandy canopy, dog tags, Mk 2 knife, misc insignia. Thanks for the fine tribute of photos so far. Paul

post-512-0-56403000-1402115994.jpg

Fantastic groupings guys. Thanks so much for sharing these. Most of us would never have the chance to see things like this if not for this forum and it's generous members!