158th RCT Bushmaster's Patches

rd12

mortaydc60

Some more Red versions. Those shown are for the most part WW2. These are very nice pieces to have in a collection and not something you see everyday. As a matter of fact I recently visited the Bushmaster Museum and spoke with the Curator;believe it or not they do not have a single WW2 patch in their collection. By my definition that makes these if not rare atleast hard to find! This year only one Red was for sale that I know of on ebay and at the SOS I did not see one at all,and as far as the blue versions Bob showed saw only the silk Australian at one table. These are not the easiest patches to find and usually not for the faint of heart cost -wise. Morty

post-565-0-59445500-1402193040.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kurt,

It is a nice looking patch but do not believe it is WW2. Almost with out exception and this is a huge tip to the forum ; no WW2 158th patch has the indentations on the top,they are all 7 sided shields. When you start to see the notches is post war and mainly in the 60's and 70's to the present. I believe the early felt versions with the notches were made for the collector market. If you think about it every example that is a known WW2 example is 7 sided ,but there are some that have the notches inside the 7 sides and for that matter many of my artillery or engineer pieces have the notch design internal. All this is what I have observed focusing on this patch for many years but can not document in any official way. Regardless I do not think you can go wrong following my suggestion.

Hi Kurt,

It is a nice looking patch but do not believe it is WW2. Almost with out exception and this is a huge tip to the forum ; no WW2 158th patch has the indentations on the top,they are all 7 sided shields. When you start to see the notches is post war and mainly in the 60's and 70's to the present. I believe the early felt versions with the notches were made for the collector market. If you think about it every example that is a known WW2 example is 7 sided ,but there are some that have the notches inside the 7 sides and for that matter many of my artillery or engineer pieces have the notch design internal. All this is what I have observed focusing on this patch for many years but can not document in any official way. Regardless I do not think you can go wrong following my suggestion.

Mort-

This patch is embroidered on very fine silk. Aside from the observation of not being a 7 sided shield, do you know of any other 1960's/70/s era (or later) fakes being contructed like this (i.e., silk-on-silk embroidery)?

Kurt

Hi Kurt,

Good point! I do not know or have never seen any fakes made like yours. Yours is the exception to the rule. Kurt I hope that you will agree that my suggestion on WW2 158th RCt is generally good advice and safer for our forum members when looking to purchase WW2 Bushmasters.

Mort, based on what you have pointed out, it seems to me that a 7 sided "shield" patch indicates manufacture prior to January 1946, when the 158th RCT was deactivated in Japan. However, of the various types, very few were probably made before the "end" of WW2. I would say the felt example (Aussie, I believe) pictured in post #16 (top patch) is one the true "WW2" examples. Prior to finding my patch, the only 158th's I'm familiar with that have the indentations and not 7 sided shields, are: the top patch in post #18 (which is found in two shades - the one pictured and one much darker, both of which I consider "Patch King") and the fully embroiderd example (1950's?) - bottom patch in post #20.

Based on the delicate fine silk construction of mine, I highly doubt it is a decades later fake (absent anyone coming forward with knowledge that patches like these were indeed made for the collector market). It's very similar in construction to many other high quality Japanese Occupation era patches of other units I have seen. It's quite possible mine was made for a WW2 158th RCT Vet as a right shoulder combat patch somewhat later than January 1946, but still during the Occupation of Japan. I have another example of identical construction (without tab) that is on a 7 sided shield. I would guess that one is pre January 1946.

Kurt

Here is my red version. It is fully embroidered and on close examination actually does have the red tongue worked into it. It has the indentations on the top, so I am confused as to when this may have been made.

CB

post-643-0-25282500-1403273117.jpg

The above is for the 480th Art of the Arizona Nat Guard and is 60's to 70's era. This also came in blue for the 258thMP of the Arizona Nat Guard. Check out post #17 with more info and pics

• 2 months later...

Here are two more patches that I picked up yesterday at the ASMIC San Diego show.

This first one is hand embroidered on blue silk with white/black/red cotton and bullion highlights. Black felt backing. It was pictured already above but here are some better pics.

post-122639-0-80883900-1410107660.jpg

doyler, I've looked at this particular jacket many times where you had posted it before - just incredible. Having the tab with the SSI, and the fact that one knows for sure they were worn together makes this such a great reference photo. Thanks for posting here, it is good to get to see all these variations together.

-Bob

Thanks Bob

You have a great collection of 158th patches.

Here is my meager collection.

attachicon.gifGMONT508 015.jpg

Very good representation of color/material variations. The tabs are so hard to find. What really catches my eye is the pin.

Some of these pins were made during the war I believe as souvenir pieces, other during the 158th's brief occupation duty in Japan.

A pin made from coconut has been posted elsewhere on the forum and another was recently on eBay ( unfortunately I didn't jump on it quick enough ! ) that was made of pressed paper. These seem too crude to be Japanese made, possibly Philippines?

Here are two small metal pins I have been able to find. The left is a screw back, the other clutch back.

post-122639-0-33309300-1410223882.jpg

Bob

Thanks for the comments on the patches.

The black one with tab is different material than the one on the Generals uniform.

I had heard that the General was one of the first ones to recieve the patch when designed.I read it some place.Maybe an old ASMIC article.Not sure and cant confirm.I have always wondered if it was one of the first ones made.I do recall he came home through Japan and even traveled with his son who was a returning 5th Div Marine.I spoke to the Generals son once.

The pin was from a long ti,e area dealer and ASMIC member ken Lewis.Its a screw back and no maker markings

The red patch was from a local man who served in the Artillery.I have a uniform from him as well but recall the patches are 24th Corps and First Cav.

I also have a unamed ike that was a shop find out of the woods of missouri by a local there and I bought it from him.

• 4 months later...