WWII Contracts and Regulations US NAVY COMBAT AIRCREW WINGS

KASTAUFFER

KASTAUFFER

I am not a wing collector , but have accumulated a large number of WWII US Navy Combat Aircrew wings during my pursuit of Naval Aviation groupings. All of the wings in this thread are part of groupings I own and I know the owners by name and unit. None of these wings are post WWII.

Here are some observations I have made.

1. I have never seen a clutchback Combat Aircrew wing that I knew was worn in WWII.

2. There are both large and small sizes. The small ones seem to be scarce.

2. There seem to be only a few contracts :

By far the most common contract is AMICO . Other manufacturers include Gemsco, NS Meyer , and H&H ( Hillborn and Hamburger ) . I would love to see any wings that I have missed . I figured this thread will be a good start on known contracts. I have never seen any made by Balfour, AE , or theater made examples .

Here is an example of a full sized AMICO Sterling Wing in Pinback with no stars. This is the most common contract . Stars were awarded based on qualifying Flight/Strikes.

wing1.JPG

wing1_a.JPG

KASTAUFFER

Here is an Amico wing and a miniature NS Meyer wing. Both were owned by the same person.

Wing_3.JPG

Wing_3_a.JPG

KASTAUFFER

Here is an example of an H&H ( Hillborn & Hamburger ) wing. I like this one a lot !

wing_2.JPG

wing_2_a.JPG

KASTAUFFER

The last example , an NS Meyer full sized wing still on the jacket !

Wing_5.JPG

Wing_5_a.JPG

KASTAUFFER

Here is one of my favorite photos! It is a pic of Lt Byron Brummer , who was a Radar Countermeasures officer with Air Group 85 on the USS Shangri-La . During WWII he earned both the Bronze Star and the Air Medal . In this pic he is only wearing his Bronze Star ribbon and he has it on the end in the wrong place ( Dont fix ribbons on vet acquired uniforms boys ! )

My favorite part of this pic is that he is wearing Combat Aircrew wings! He was authorized to wear them according to his service record. You dont see officers wearing these wings very often.

brummer2.jpg

brummer3.jpg

John Cooper

Kurt,

Thanks for starting this thread I am looking forward to others posting their wings. Interesting details on the HH but my current favorite is the GEMSCO - has a tough look to it.

John

KASTAUFFER
Kurt,

Thanks for starting this thread I am looking forward to others posting their wings. Interesting details on the HH but my current favorite is the GEMSCO - has a tough look to it.

John

It sure does ! The Gemsco wing is fairly thin compared to the Amico wing. Those are nice and heavy! The H&H wing is the thinnest.

Kurt

Here are the ones I have.The left is Amico the right HH the mini is Amico on the card its ashame someone wrote on it in pen.Put for free whos complaining.

Cheers Dan

post-2552-1212969880.jpg

KASTAUFFER
Here are the ones I have.The left is Amico the right HH the mini is Amico on the card its ashame someone wrote on it in pen.Put for free whos complaining.

Cheers Dan

I'd love to see the back of the H& H wing . Thats a variety I have not seen and is different than the one I posted.

Kurt

Dose any one have the actual regulations or specs on the Navy Combat Air Crew Wings. I am trying to figure out just exactly what the purpose and meaning of the stars is. I know conventional wisdom says they are for combat missions but when you think about it this dose not make sense. Why would they design a wing that would leave large gaping holes until you have four missions and no way to show five. I am not interested in what this book or that book says or "I talked to a vet and he said" I want to go straight to the horses mouth (or I guess in this case sea horse) and see what the Navy says about them. It may well be true they are mission stars, it would not be the first time military logic did not make sense but I would like to find out for sure.

Dose any one have the actual regulations or specs on the Navy Combat Air Crew Wings. I am trying to figure out just exactly what the purpose and meaning of the stars is. I know conventional wisdom says they are for combat missions but when you think about it this dose not make sense. Why would they design a wing that would leave large gaping holes until you have four missions and no way to show five. I am not interested in what this book or that book says or "I talked to a vet and he said" I want to go straight to the horses mouth (or I guess in this case sea horse) and see what the Navy says about them. It may well be true they are mission stars, it would not be the first time military logic did not make sense but I would like to find out for sure.

Does this help?

For those who have participated in actual combat missions, gold service stars are worn pinned to the top of the decoration. A maximum of three such stars may be displayed, one for every 20 hours of logged flight in a designated combat zone, in addition to the 20 for initially being awarded the Combat Aircrew Badge.

what wiki says but I am at work and dont have access to my books on the subject.

Does this help?

For those who have participated in actual combat missions, gold service stars are worn pinned to the top of the decoration. A maximum of three such stars may be displayed, one for every 20 hours of logged flight in a designated combat zone, in addition to the 20 for initially being awarded the Combat Aircrew Badge.

what wiki says but I am at work and dont have access to my books on the subject.

If I recall correctly, the stars worn above the combat aircrew badge were to be awarded for participating in different types of combat, (1) actions against an enemy plane (ie aerial combat), (2) action against an enemy ship and (3) action against an enemy land station. Or something very much like that. I would have to check my reference books to be 100% sure.

In regards to the submarine combat badge, the first combat tour got you the badge, then a star was awarded for up to the next 3 missions.

I think that the sailors just filled in the wholes in the badge as they saw fit, as it was unlikely that anyone would really have checked. I suspect that they just filled in the wholes in the badge because it would have looked silly with empty spaces.

Patrick

If I recall correctly, the stars worn above the combat aircrew badge were to be awarded for participating in different types of combat, (1) actions against an enemy plane (ie aerial combat), (2) action against an enemy ship and (3) action against an enemy land station. Or something very much like that. I would have to check my reference books to be 100% sure.

In regards to the submarine combat badge, the first combat tour got you the badge, then a star was awarded for up to the next 3 missions.

I think that the sailors just filled in the wholes in the badge as they saw fit, as it was unlikely that anyone would really have checked. I suspect that they just filled in the wholes in the badge because it would have looked silly with empty spaces.

Patrick

Patrick,

In the Navy, you don't "just fill in the holes", with those combat stars cause it looks "silly", with empty spaces. An old collector buddy who happens to be a retired Navy Combat Air Crewman told me once that getting the 3 stars for those wings was VERY hard. I do not remember the exact qualifications but the story about air-to-air, air-to-ship and air-to-ground does ring a bell.

Patrick,

In the Navy, you don't "just fill in the holes", with those combat stars cause it looks "silly", with empty spaces. An old collector buddy who happens to be a retired Navy Combat Air Crewman told me once that getting the 3 stars for those wings was VERY hard. I do not remember the exact qualifications but the story about air-to-air, air-to-ship and air-to-ground does ring a bell.

Hi Lee,

You are right, I was a bit flippant. But in my experience you either find these wings with no stars or all 3 stars--rarely with just one or two stars. If you think about it, alot of the big PBY anti-submarine squadrons would likley have never or rarely engaged in air to air combat with enemy planes, whereas carrier based torpedo or dive bomber squadrons would have rarely attacked shore installations. By the end of WWII, the chances a navy aircrewman participating in air to air or air to ship combat would have decreased significantly--even during the war in korean and vietnam. Finally, with the extra-specialization of squarons and personell, it is very hard to imagine a sailor getting all 3 stars based on combat experience alone. This badge is still being used in the USN, but the chances of an enlisted aircrewman actually engaging in aerial combat is almost nill, so it is hard to imagine that one of those spots can never be filled.

In my defense, I do recall reading in a couple of places that frequently the wings were worn with all 3 stars despite the initial regulations stating that a star was to be awarded for any one specific combat situation. I am racking my brains where I read that.

Also, if you look at the other thread on aircrew wings, you can see that all the wings shown have either 0 or 3 stars, and some of the wings seem to have had stars installed in the factory. So, not that I disagree with you, but I think that there maybe some validity to the idea that the stars ended up being added has some truth.

ON THE OTHER HAND, here is a very nice named wing to a fellow who flew anti-submarine patrols in a VPB squadron in the Atlantic and Med--he clearly only had 2 stars on his wings.

Still, I didnt mean to be flippant.

Patrick

post-1519-1213046206.jpg

I'd love to see the back of the H& H wing . Thats a variety I have not seen and is different than the one I posted.

Kurt

Here is a salty old sea-dog that was made into a bracelet. This gentleman flew anti-sub patrols in the Atlantic and Pacific. Nice engraved wing--dated 1942-1945 with his name and service number. Somewhere I have information about the VPB sqaudron he flew with.

Patrick

post-1519-1213046523.jpg

Kurt

Here is the back it is hallmarked HH upper left and sterling to the right. I noticed the difference as well no berries

Dan

post-2552-1213047058.jpg

Here is a better synopsis of the requirements of the badge as authorized in about 1943. From my readings, these requirements may have been changed over time to reflect the changes in naval aviation warfare. (from wikipedia)

The initial requirements (May 1943) were: a. Having served, subsequent to 7 Decemger 1941, for a total of three months as a regularly assigned member of the Air Crew of a combatant craft. 1. "Combatant aircraft" shall be considered as all operating aircraft of the Fleet or Frontier Forces. 2. The term "regularly assigned member of the Air Crew" shall be interpreted literally, and shall be substantiated the the battle station bill of the unit. b. Having suffered injuries or other physical impairment, while engaged in combatant operations since 7 December 1941, as a regularly assigned member of a combatant aircraft, which precludes the possibility of fulfillment of the time requirements . . . and is recommended by the Commanding Officer of the Unit . . . c. Individual combat stars will be authorized by Unit Commanders, in conformance with instructions issued by C-in-C, United States Fleet, to those members of Air Crews who: 1) Engage enemy aircraft, singly or in formation. 2) Engage armed enemy combatant vessels with bombs, torpedoes, or machine guns. 3) Engage in bombing offensive operations agains enemy fortified positions. 4) A maximum of three combat stars shall be awarded for display on the Air Crew Insignia; combat operations reports in excess of three will be credited only in the record of the in individual concerned. d. Personnel qualified by provisions of subparagraphs A and B above may wear the Air Crew Insignia permanently.

Here is more information on the badge:www.history.navy.mil/avh-1910/APP20.PDF

Finally, I recall finding an article in the US Naval Academy Proceedings magazine that discussed the history of the combat aircrew badge and that is where I believe I read the statement that the original meaning of the individual stars had lost some of its meaning and it was sometimes common practice to "fill in the holes" as it were. I cant find that article right now, and I may be recalling it incorrectly, but I believe that is where I read it.

Patrick

It appears the regulations for the award of the Air Crew wing were contained in BuPers Circular Letter 174-44 , I do not have a copy of it.

Here are a couple of scans of original award letters from WWII.

Kurt

AC1.jpg

AC2.jpg

Thanks for the posts guys! I like the h&H wing. That bracelet is awesome too. It looks like a different contract than the ones posted. It has STERLING in raised letters in the center without a makers mark.

Here are a couple of award letters for Air Crew wings from WWII.

AC1.jpg

AC2.jpg

Here is some info I found on the Navy Historical Center's website.

The initial requirements for insignia were:

a. Having served, subsequent to 7 December 1941, for a total of three months as a regularly assigned

member of the Air Crew of a combatant craft.

(1) “Combat aircraft” shall be considered as all operating aircraft of the Fleet or Frontier

Forces, and excepts utility aircraft which are neither designed nor fitted out for offensive

(or defensive) operations. (2) The term “regularly assigned member of the

Air Crew” shall be interpreted literally, and shall be substantiated by the battle station bill

of the unit, under such instructions that may be approved and promulgated by the Bureau

of Naval Personnel.

b. Having suffered injuries or other physical impairment, while engaged in combatant operations since 7

December 1941, as a regularly assigned member of a combatant aircraft, which precludes the possibility of

fulfillment of the time requirements, stated in subparagraph (a) above, and is recommended by the

Commanding Officer of the Unit in which injury or physical impairment was received.

c. Individual combat stars will be authorized by Unit Commanders, in conformance with instructions issued

by Commander-in-Chief, United States Fleet, to those members of Air Crews who:

(1) Engage enemy aircraft, singly or in formation.

(2) Engage armed enemy combatant vessels with bombs, torpedoes, or machine guns.

(3) Engage in bombing offensive operations against enemy fortified positions.

(4) A maximum of three combat stars shall be awarded for display on the Air Crew Insignia;

combat actions reports in excess of three will be credited only in the record of the individual concerned.

d. Personnel qualified by provisions of subparagraphs A and B above may wear the Air Crew Insignia permanently.

The above set of requirements for qualification to wear the Air Crew Insignia were modified several

times. BuPers Circular Letter Numbers 173-43 of 8 September 1943, 22-44 of 29 January 1944 and 174-44

of 16 June 1944 all make modifications to the qualifications but do not give a detailed description of the

insignia.

BuPers Circular Letter Number 395-44, dated 30 December 1944, provided a comprehensive description

of the Aircrew Insignia: “The Aircrew Insignia is a silver-plated or silver-color, winged, metal, pin, with

gold-color circular shield with surcharged foul anchor, superimposed on wing roots, with words “AIRCREW”

below circular shield; a silver-color bar over the circular shield with three threaded holes to receive three

gold-color combat stars when officially awarded. The insignia will measure two inches from tip to tip of the

wings: circle on shield 5⁄160; total depth of the shield from the top of the circle to the bottom of the shield

9⁄160. The Uniform Regulations of 2 May 1947 provided the following description of the Aircrew wings: “A silver-

plated or silver color, winged, metal pin, with gold circular shield surcharged with foul anchor, superimposed

on wing roots, with word ‘AIRCREW’ in raised letters on a silver-color background below the circular

shield; above the shield there shall be a silver-color scroll; the insignia to measure 20 from tip to tip of the

wings; circle on shield 5⁄160 in diameter; total height of the shield and silver background beneath the shield

9⁄160. The scroll shall be 1⁄80 wide and 3⁄40 long and shall be centered over the wings. Gold stars to a total of

three, as merited, shall be mounted on the scroll, necessary holes being pierced to receive them. A silver

star may be worn in lieu of three gold stars.”

Here is some info I found on the Navy Historical Center's website concerning the WWII regulations for the Combat Aircrew Wing.

The initial requirements for insignia were:

a. Having served, subsequent to 7 December 1941, for a total of three months as a regularly assigned

member of the Air Crew of a combatant craft.

(1) “Combat aircraft” shall be considered as all operating aircraft of the Fleet or Frontier

Forces, and excepts utility aircraft which are neither designed nor fitted out for offensive

(or defensive) operations. (2) The term “regularly assigned member of the

Air Crew” shall be interpreted literally, and shall be substantiated by the battle station bill

of the unit, under such instructions that may be approved and promulgated by the Bureau

of Naval Personnel.

b. Having suffered injuries or other physical impairment, while engaged in combatant operations since 7

December 1941, as a regularly assigned member of a combatant aircraft, which precludes the possibility of

fulfillment of the time requirements, stated in subparagraph (a) above, and is recommended by the

Commanding Officer of the Unit in which injury or physical impairment was received.

c. Individual combat stars will be authorized by Unit Commanders, in conformance with instructions issued

by Commander-in-Chief, United States Fleet, to those members of Air Crews who:

(1) Engage enemy aircraft, singly or in formation.

(2) Engage armed enemy combatant vessels with bombs, torpedoes, or machine guns.

(3) Engage in bombing offensive operations against enemy fortified positions.

(4) A maximum of three combat stars shall be awarded for display on the Air Crew Insignia;

combat actions reports in excess of three will be credited only in the record of the individual concerned.

d. Personnel qualified by provisions of subparagraphs A and B above may wear the Air Crew Insignia permanently.

The above set of requirements for qualification to wear the Air Crew Insignia were modified several

times. BuPers Circular Letter Numbers 173-43 of 8 September 1943, 22-44 of 29 January 1944 and 174-44

of 16 June 1944 all make modifications to the qualifications but do not give a detailed description of the

insignia.

BuPers Circular Letter Number 395-44, dated 30 December 1944, provided a comprehensive description

of the Aircrew Insignia: “The Aircrew Insignia is a silver-plated or silver-color, winged, metal, pin, with

gold-color circular shield with surcharged foul anchor, superimposed on wing roots, with words “AIRCREW”

below circular shield; a silver-color bar over the circular shield with three threaded holes to receive three

gold-color combat stars when officially awarded. The insignia will measure two inches from tip to tip of the

wings: circle on shield 5⁄160; total depth of the shield from the top of the circle to the bottom of the shield

9⁄160. The Uniform Regulations of 2 May 1947 provided the following description of the Aircrew wings: “A silver-

plated or silver color, winged, metal pin, with gold circular shield surcharged with foul anchor, superimposed

on wing roots, with word ‘AIRCREW’ in raised letters on a silver-color background below the circular

shield; above the shield there shall be a silver-color scroll; the insignia to measure 20 from tip to tip of the

wings; circle on shield 5⁄160 in diameter; total height of the shield and silver background beneath the shield

9⁄160. The scroll shall be 1⁄80 wide and 3⁄40 long and shall be centered over the wings. Gold stars to a total of

three, as merited, shall be mounted on the scroll, necessary holes being pierced to receive them. A silver

star may be worn in lieu of three gold stars.”