M 42 paratrooper jacket of "Pee Wee" Martin, G/506th 101st AB

MattS

He posted this on his website recently with this description. "My original Jump Jacket brought home from the war in 1945. It was lost to me until found this past Fall by my son. I recall making the modifications to it. While in the Army I earned extra cash doing sewing jobs for the guys in our unit. I could sew quite well for a young man at the time. I sewed an extra shoulder pocket and slip pocket into the left sleeve. I was delighted to recall the handy knife pocket in the upper zipper area. I am bringing the jacket to Normandy. It will be on temporary display at the Greatest Generations II Exhibition at the Dead Man's Corner Museum from 5 June to 8 June. Note to Collectors: NO. You may not have it or buy it. The jacket will return to the States with us and will remain the property of my son."

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jim-Pee-Wee-Martin-G506/150930871630989

post-32676-0-89097800-1401542349.jpg

post-32676-0-64503000-1401542365.jpg

RustyCanteen

Sigh, now everyone will sew a small zippered pocket on their sleeves.

It's called an ACU my man. :D

RustyCanteen

"Note to Collectors: NO. You may not have it or buy it. The jacket will return to the States with us and will remain the property of my son."

On another note it is truly sad that some collectors feel the need to harass 80+ year old men over something that means the world to them in long past memories. My personal view of collecting is that I collect to preserve the stories and memories of these veterans. Sometimes I think people are more interested in having a trophy for their collections than the men and women who went to war.

I'm not adding a commentary, but I do think it is tactless and regrettable since it hurts the image of the hobby.

On another note it is truly sad that some collectors feel the need to harass 80+ year old men over something that means the world to them in long past memories. My personal view of collecting is that I collect to preserve the stories and memories of these veterans. Sometimes I think people are more interested in having a trophy for their collections than the men and women who went to war.

I'm not adding a commentary, but I do think it is tactless and regrettable since it hurts the image of the hobby.

Agreed and well said.

I cant help but think about a negative side to this.Hopefully it will return with him.THings have gone missing from many displays over the years.

Tom Kibler

Well said. Note that the jacket is also reinforced! Amazing specimen and an amazing American hero. To Pee-Wee and those like him! Airborne!

post-6293-0-74678900-1401563283.jpg

BigDogMilitaria

This was really cool to read. I've read a great deal about Mr Martin over on the Trigger Time forum and know he has been quite active over the years. It must have been a thrill for him when this was rediscovered.

I'll be over in Normandy next week. Hopefully I'll get to stop by and check it out in person.

Kind of interesting...I have this m42 jacket, which belonged to an H Co. 506th vet. It is in mint condition, but has had the chest pockets very neatly removed. This was period-done, because the stitch marks from the original pockets are very difficult to discern. This was either done as a personal preference, or the jacket may have been used by the vet as a "donor" for his reinforced set.

post-110-0-05120400-1401647468.jpg

I don't imagine there were spare pockets laying around (I could be wrong?) so it makes sense that some uniforms would have had their pockets donated to another set, especially the reinforced set that was going to be used in combat. Neat jacket!

I think your use of the word "trophy" is an accurate one. Sadly money will trump history every time. I completely agree that the stories and memories of the vets is the priority. Without them, all of this is just "stuff".

Of course there is little profit in people. We seem to place value on stuff far more often.

Ask yourself the question. Given the choice of having that jacket, or an hour or two talking with Peewee Martin, which would you choose.

manayunkman

As soon as someone wants something it has value.

A fact of life that can be taken to extremes.

Other than the fantastic life and history this jacket represents that zippered sleeve pocket is driving me nuts.

I love it..what did he use it for ?

By the way as soon as one dog finds a bone the other dog wants it too.

Even dogs recognize value.

Kadet there was a 504 vet in Pa. who had his M42 turned into an Ike style jacket.

Somewhere on the web there is a picture from 1945 or 6 of him wearing it in his back yard.

As soon as someone wants something it has value.

A fact of life that can be taken to extremes.

Other than the fantastic life and history this jacket represents that zippered sleeve pocket is driving me nuts.

I love it..what did he use it for ?

By the way as soon as one dog finds a bone the other dog wants it too.

Even dogs recognize value.

Kadet there was a 504 vet in Pa. who had his M42 turned into an Ike style jacket.

Somewhere on the web there is a picture from 1945 or 6 of him wearing it in his back yard.

I noticed right off the jacket was reinforced by the lower pockets.THis was something done by parachute maintenance.The zipered sleeve pocket is a treasure.Im going with a map pocket.Something easy to access.Looks like you could carries the map,small compass and the hacksaw blade there found in the "maps only" kits given to most of the paras.

Since Mr.Martin is active on the boards maybe he recalls the reason he added the zipper to the sleeve and what was carried in it or what its intended purpose it was..An intresting story no doubt.Seeing the patch is hand sewn but the rest of the modifications look machine done Mr.Martin would have had to have acces to the sewing machines as well.Hope more details willl will be told on this great jacket.Definately a one of a kind

KADET

That's a nice jacket and clean label.I also have a M42 with just one pocket removed.Its the upper left one.This one was found mixed in with a uniform group from a glider pilot I knew from Minnesota.He had flown the second drop to Market Garden and the Varsity assault as well.I had asked him where he got it or remember where and why the pocket was gone.He really didnt remember and said he often wore the jacket after the war when duck or pheasant hunting.I had thought the pocket may have been removed to place on another jacket or possibly removed to make it easier/more comfortable to wear a shoulder holster.

Thanks for posting.

..yes, I could see either scenario. Those patch pockets are rather impractical if wearing combat equipment. Perhaps he removed them out of personal preference. They have been off the jacket for a LONG time though. Although minty, the jacket has a nice patina which extends over the pocket area. It almost looks like the jacket was made without the pockets, but the stitch marks are there if you look closely. His record was intact at NARA as well, and I should be getting it soon...

manayunkman

Here is the picture I was talking about.

It came from a site from the Netherlands called 504paratroopers.nl .

I had the pleasure of a many year relationship with this trooper and he was open, honest and candid.

He was at the Waal river crossing in the first wave and many years later painted me a picture of the event.

Due to divorce I sold the painting to another forum member.

This is one cool unusual picture.

Very sharp.

post-51189-0-08551200-1401737407.txt