WWII casket flag makes me sick find!

oldabewla

I had to post this which still makes me sick after all these years! I was telling my father-in-law / Vietnam Vet this! over Memorial Day.
Ten years ago wile on my way back home from a trip up to northern Wisconsin the wife and I stop at a garage sale. That day there was light rain showers and as I walked up the long drive way with this ladies contents scatter over the drive way there lying in the center of the mess on the ground was a American flag.
The people ahead of me just walked around it as a old discarded rag just lying there as I walked by I reached down and grasped the flag and gave it a shake in discuss and folded it up and walked into the garage and asked how much! the women said $5 dollars and gave her the five bucks and left.
As I walk down the drive way I started to look at the flag over more and couldn't believe it !!! a WWII 50 star casket flag!!!!!!!!!! it just gave me more of a sick feeling that no one gave a crap about this American flag little alone a special one which is the last thing that covers the casket of a Veteran before they are put to rest and a symbol of freedom they fight for and this is why this story came between my father- inlaw and me up why people are asked not to burn the American flag it means even more to them.
Craig

I was given one a few years ago after a friend found it in a clients basement. Their cat was sleeping on it. Inside was a newspaper obituary clipping about the Navy vet.

US Victory Museum

> [...] a WWII 50 star casket flag!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, because we all know WWII was fought in 1959. :rolleyes:

So if a WW2 vet dies in 1985 you're saying that they would round up a 48 star flag for him?

Nice job.

I've got my great, great uncle's burial flag. It's 50 stars and he was a WWI vet. Of course it's folded correctly and in a frame.

I looked again, yes it's a 48 star flag not a 50 though it just make me mad thinking about it when I was posting it.

Craig

Wharfmaster

I have a cased WW2 named KIA Purple Heart in my collection that was found by a picker in a yard sale trash can. 82nd Airborne.

W

Bob Carter

I was at a garage sale about 20 years ago and there was a 48 star casket flag sitting on a table folded up, I asked about it and they said it was from a relative who was a Marine that was killed in WWII - they could only give me a last name because no one could remember who he was, sad that they didn't respect his sacrifice more - evidently the $15. meant more to them. Every memorial day I fly this flag in tribute to that warrior.

mpguy80/08

Nice job.

I've got my great, great uncle's burial flag. It's 50 stars and he was a WWI vet. Of course it's folded correctly and in a frame.

My father, who fought in both WWII and Korea (Okinawa and Inchon are notable battles) passed in 2009 and was draped in a 50 star flag. I'm not sure, but might family preference have sway over which flag the veteran is draped in? I always thought the flag would be a 50 star flag regardless of the era of service because the national flag now has 50 stars (Has since 1959). My father's flag is properly folded and still has the shell casings tucked inside from the firing party. It resides just over my shoulder on my corner unit, prominently displayed on the top shelf.

As far as I know as it goes locally the funeral home here supplies the flags.I would have to ask one of the directors I know for the exact chain of aquiring the flags whether they get one from the government or the local VFW supllies the flag for the request.

The flags often show up here at tag sales, auctions, and garage sales.I have seen several personally that word for World War 1 veterans with the 50 stars. I have a Kia group to a Navy pilot from World War II and there was a flag for him as well as a flag for his father who had been in the Navy in World War 1 and he passed away in the late 70's early 80's. I also have his document thanking him for his service from the president at that time.

I also have a flag from a local auction.The vet at the auction said it was his wifes brother who had been in The Navy and killed.The vet served very late in the War with the Marines and then ended up in China.He really didnt want to talk about his wife's brother. They had no children either.He wife was deceased and he was afflicted with throat cancer.

I hope I say this right. Remember that part of the freedom that vets fought for included the freedom of others to not have to be wrapped in a flag. I wouldn't judge folks too harshly. Could be it represents a horrible loss to some folks. It certainly isn't a replacement for a lost loved one. What that flag symbolizes to you may not symbolize what it meant to the person discarding it. If anything, that discarded flag has a better home now.

Patchcollector

I hope I say this right. Remember that part of the freedom that vets fought for included the freedom of others to not have to be wrapped in a flag. I wouldn't judge folks too harshly. Could be it represents a horrible loss to some folks. It certainly isn't a replacement for a lost loved one. What that flag symbolizes to you may not symbolize what it meant to the person discarding it. If anything, that discarded flag has a better home now.

I agree 38Driver.When I see a flag I think of all the lives that have been lost defending what it represents.Some others see nothing except a piece of cloth.

I'm thankful that everyone in our country has the freedom to choose what they see when they view our flag,even if I do not agree with it.

USCapturephotos

Definitely an interesting topic that has really made me think this beautiful Saturday morning. I am a high

school history teacher and the subject of our freedoms and what that really means comes up often. A big part of my class is getting my students to remember and respect our veterans and to think twice about the freedomswe have. I think 38Driver is correct although I struggle with that at times as I am infuriated by people who disrespect our country and the flag.

Paul

BigDogMilitaria

Last Summer I found a burial flag in a wooden presentation case on CL. When I went to pick it up the man told me it was found in an abandoned house in Detroit. When inspected it further after bringing it home, I learned it was from a man who was KIA in Korea. Even more remarkable was that his remains were recovered in 1998, brought home and buried at Arlington. There was some original paperwork under the flag and an empty shell casing from a blank rifle round as well. It was sad that this mans memory was discarded so fast after finally being brought home. But, I feel that now that it's in my possession he will always be remembered and honored. Rather than stuffed in a closet or attic of some distant relative who could care less. I did a small write up for him on Memorial Day on my Facebook page. Now more people have read about him and his story has been told again.

Garandomatic

Things like this are the ultimate counter to those ignorant people that think that only the families should have this stuff and resent us as collectors (ie. Purple Hearts). Families did have it, and in most cases, it found its way onto the open market because they didn't care. Some do, and might keep the medals and/or ribbons, but what would become of these guys' memories if not for us? Pretty sure the $3 WWI Purple Heart I found at a roadside junk sale would have wound up in some kid's sandbox.

Most flags for burial come from the Post Office. We always kept a few on hand. And , Yes it sucks what some people do to the flag.

The flag means something to me, as it does to many others who have served in the Armed Forces - or had loved ones who did.

During Desert Shield (1990) I received a small U.S. flag in the mail from a young college student as part of an "Any Serviceman" letter. I kept it folded and in the left breast pocket of my uniform. It was with me when I rolled into western Kuwait during the ground offensive.

I posed for a photo on a deserted Iraqi tank, just north of Kuwait City. After the war I framed an enlarged copy of this photo, as well as a small paper Kuwaiti flag I took from an Iraqi bunker.

I sent this to the young student, thanking her for sending me the flag, and offering her this small reclaimed Kuwaiti flag for it. The small flag is still with me, and I have it put away with some of my personal belongings.

post-152877-0-58143200-1401654744.jpg

I will pass this small American flag on to one of my grandchildren, and tell them the story of how it was given to me and where I carried it.

Even when I was a kid I always had the up most respect for the American flag and country not because of the politics or political parties the flag flew above but because of being in the Cub Scouts and family members in the military they have taught me that it's been their in the good times and bad from the Revolutionary War to today's wars and as Lee Greenwood sang (it's still stand for freedom) and when it stands no more you have tyranny.
I think that people that don't have respect for the flag don't have respect for themselves or others in my opinion.
As growing up I still remember seeing the WWII images of the GI's storming the beaches of North Africa in operation Torch with the small flags tucked up under their helmet nets. WWII paratrooper with the flag sewn on their sleeves of their jump jackets on D Day and the flag raising on Iwo Jima even when the Marine didn't have the Island taken just yet but the flag was displayed as a symbol of free men were present and were there to give freedom back.
Craig