History to Area
The system was pending withdrawal stationed in Aschaffenburg units and formations of the 3rd Brigade of the 3rd Infantry Division and other U.S. military units in 1993 as training area out . Only after he was designated military training area , as he , from now until its closure in September 2007 , mostly in company - to battalion strength , only by foreign troops of the U.S. armed forces , mainly from the surrounding sites in Hanau , Darmstadt, Babenhausen (Hessen) Würzburg and Kitzingen, was used for combat exercises with maneuvers and display ammunition.
The south of Aschaffenburg hamlet Schweinheim Located former training ground was laid out by the Kingdom of Bavaria after the acquisition of land by the municipality Schweinheim 1912/13, in a total area of 95 008 Frankish decimals (about 32 hectares) of agricultural land belonging to private owners . In 1920, the then 240 day's work (about 82 ha) was large grounds leased by the municipality Schweinheim vom Reichsschatzministerium and made available for agricultural purposes . In 1936 the site was used again as lokaler Exerzierplatz - this time of the Wehrmacht, the build ended in Aschaffenburg along the Würzburg and the pig Straße more barracks ( Pioneer , Lagarde , Bois- Brulé and artillery barracks ) . Core area of the Wehrmacht parade ground was a pioneer practice course. There, on July 21, 1943, a gas explosion occurred : the death of 33 soldiers was to be deplored. From its past as a pioneer training area still bear witness to the remains of various buildings that were built solely for training purposes , eg Bridge piers , bridge abutments , inter alia,