SF Vietnam picture thread.

Mr-X

post-467-1236210347.jpg

US Military Men On Way Home

Original caption: Bien Hoa, S. Vietnam: US Special Forces' Capt. Budge Williams, Capt. Leland Brumley, Chief Warrant Officer Edward Boyle, and Capt. Robert Marasco (left to right) prepare to board plane for trip to the United States September 30th, just after murder charges against them had been dropped by US officials. Another member of the group departs for the US, October 1st. 9/30/1969

Image © Bettmann/CORBIS

Collection: Bettmann

Standard RM

• 2 months later...
Another items carried picture.

This time in the pack.

ref1.jpg

Listed clockwise from the top.

CIDG Rucksack.

Poncho.

Pair of plastic cuffs.

2x small bottles. Possible contents : LSA oil, Bug Juice and or CS Power (to deter tracker dogs).

2QT Canteen.

WP Grenade.

2x Smokes Grenades.

CSIO Machete.

2x 1QT Canteens.

Crimping pliers (to crimp detonators to fuse).

2x Fuses.

2x Initiators.

Small Box containing detonators.

2x C-4 Charge Blocks.

8x smaller charges? (I am not sure on this one.)

Water Proof Bag (to keep the Charges dry)

The '8x smaller charges' are probably indig rations prepped and packed in their bags for easy prep in the field...

pwmiraldi67
The '8x smaller charges' are probably indig rations prepped and packed in their bags for easy prep in the field...

what you failed to metion was that all the items are ontop of the CISO produced SOG sleeping bag :)

super rare!!!! came in both black and OD green

paul

• 1 month later...
what you failed to metion was that all the items are ontop of the CISO produced SOG sleeping bag :)

super rare!!!! came in both black and OD green

paul

Paul,

You're the man when it comes to this stuff. I had been reading an account from SGM Joe Garner and he mentioned that

they prepped rations in that fashion. I didn't know about the SOG sleeping bag.

• 4 weeks later...

post-467-1249172739.jpg

13 July 1968, Moc Hoa, South Vietnam --- 7/13/1968- Moc Hoa, South Vietnam: Sgt Joseph L. Dennison of Pittsburgh, PA. as well as Klay Yanick of Fresno, CA, in Vietnam with CIDG men wading across river. CIDG stands for Civil Irregular Defense Group. The 414 men base near the Cambodian Border includes ten U.S. Special Forces troopers. --- Image by © Bettmann/CORBIS

• 1 month later...
Paul,

You're the man when it comes to this stuff. I had been reading an account from SGM Joe Garner and he mentioned that

they prepped rations in that fashion. I didn't know about the SOG sleeping bag.

Thanks

I'll post some pix of the sleeping bag so everyone can see it!!! The black one I own belonged to Tilt Meyer, super cool and high speed!!

Yea I know of the book your talking about too,

paul

• 1 month later...
You probably mean JWC pattern (John Wayne Compact) :rolleyes: , indeed this pattern was widely used to make flight suit at the beginning of the war (64-65)

Thanks for having identified the pattern.

Upon closer review of the details on this outstanding custom shirt it is really the JWS (John Wayne Sparse) pattern. The phallic item is much rounder and smooth on the JWC. Also, the sharp spike type portion of the blackstripe at the bottom of the left pocket is easy to identify on the JWS. What hits me as odd is to see the JWS pattern as late as 1967. But of course anything is possible with left over rolls of material. I have been looking for III Corp (China Boy) Mike Force photos and this thread is an amazing collection of outstanding and informative photos. The photos seem to confrim that the original Mike Force skull & crossbones patch was worn fairly routinely on field wear tigers.

Thanks to all for the great and informative photos.

John

• 4 weeks later...
Military Engineer

The soldier on the right in the third photo (Doug Miller) is Franklin D Miller. He was my 1SG in Hawaii in the late 1980s. He won the MOH in Vietnam. He has since passed. What a great soldier and leader.

Troy

• 4 weeks later...

I remember in the mid 70's there was a Special Forces museum in an old wooden building on Gruber Road about where the All American Freeway crosses now. Inside the museum to the right was a small room with bookcases filled with picture albums of SF pictures, both army made and privately done. I went in there one Sunday with nothing else to do, and spent all day sitting on the floor looking through the albums. Years later after the old museum was torn down and a new one opened on Ardennes Street, I talked to the curator about the photo albums and she said she had heard of them, but did not know what became of them. I think a lot of them ended up in Stanton's pictorial book on SF in Viet Nam, but their whereabouts still remain a mystery. Anyone else remember the old museum?

Thanks

Rick

dkr02-I remember it! It was a single story white bldg, in front of the old parade field on Gruber, across from Training Group HQ. Had an old M3 Halftrack, and a disassembled plane in back.Birddog as I recall. In the 1980's that plane was sitting in front of an old repair shop in Pinebluff, near Camp Mackall. Still in pieces.I was a PFC then fresh out of jump school in Oct 1970 the first time I visited it. As I recall they moved over to Ardennes about 1978-79. If any one hasn't been back to Bragg in the last 20 or less years, alot of changes have occurred. SKIP

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Do you remember wherethe shop was in Pine Bluff? If so, I might ride over there and see if the old plane is still there.

Rick

dkr02-I remember it! It was a single story white bldg, in front of the old parade field on Gruber, across from Training Group HQ. Had an old M3 Halftrack, and a disassembled plane in back.Birddog as I recall. In the 1980's that plane was sitting in front of an old repair shop in Pinebluff, near Camp Mackall. Still in pieces.I was a PFC then fresh out of jump school in Oct 1970 the first time I visited it. As I recall they moved over to Ardennes about 1978-79. If any one hasn't been back to Bragg in the last 20 or less years, alot of changes have occurred. SKIP

Rick-The old gas station if directly across from "Kenny's Country Restaurant" in Pinebluff on old US1. The shop is still there. The plane is not, at least out front. You might inquire within or even ask Kenny. He knows everything, and has been there since 1986. Pinebluff is tiny someone might know. Good Luck! SKIP

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

post-467-1310249878.jpg

PRU team, guessing this is 1968.

From charleswclark™'s photostream on Flickr.com

Incredible pictures of PRU in this photostream !

post-467-1310250253.jpg

Provincial Reconnaissance Unit

Unclassified Airforce photo. Det. 5, 600th Sq. AAVS (MAC) June 1968.

From charleswclark™'s photostream on Flickr.com

post-467-1310252414.jpg

Daddy vietnam

My Dad is the one on the upper right.

He served three tours of duty in NAM before 1968 but according to our government we weren't even there yet.

From sjm4065's photostream on Flickr.com

post-467-1310345459.jpg

An Airborne Soldier drinks coconut juice in the jungles of Vietnam.

Photo by JBLM Lewis Army Museum

Note the in-country made subdued SF SSI. Or perhaps japanese made ?

post-467-1310392513.jpg

Dad at Medic Station.

Dad was a SF Medic for most if not all of his military career.

From Imperial Pixel's photostream on Flickr.com