WIndproof coolness

TrenchfootJoe66

TrenchfootJoe66

As per Steves request, the missing tape was most likely a name tape but there is no way to tell, the impressions left in the material are too indistinct.

River Patrol

I looked hard and at various angles and lighting.....I couldn't make it out either but I too thought it looked like a name tape.....it's an interesting set. The trousers seem to have a partial Viet name on the waist band but I guess that could be anything.

TrenchfootJoe66

I was looking at period photos and pics of other original Windproofs. It does not seem to have been uncommon to wear only a name tape early on.

As to the partial Viet name in the waist band, one can only guess as to its origin. I figured he got them "used" perhaps ? There is also the number "10" written in the waistband in what looks to be Magic Marker of some sort

The Quartermaster stamps are surprisingly strong considering the overall wear and condition of the set.

TrenchfootJoe66

To be fair, I no longer own them. I confess, I have the skills but alas, they don't always pay the bills. LOL

I had to share these first though. Its a prerogative I rarely exercise but in this case... well, they speak for themselves.

J

• 5 weeks later...

Beautiful set. Is there a thread on here for Windproofs/Pinks? Love to learn some more about this camouflage.

TrenchfootJoe66

Im pretty sure there is but I cant find it. There is also several informative Windproof threads over on the Wehrmacht Awards Forum. I think Owen has some windproofs in his Welcome to Camo Country thread

Thanks Joe, I'll keep hunting. I recently got a windproof marine corps style incountry made cap and wanted to more info on windproofs and also to post it in the right place.

Cheers,

Matt

Hi Joe,

Just incase I ever get lucky enough to have some cross my path what's a reasonable amount to pay for windproofs? I imagine it can run the gamut depending upon wether they are patch, named etc. Do jackets tend to fetch more or is it trousers because of the wear out rarity factor? Obviously a set's best.

Any insight would be awesome.

Cheers,

Matt

Hi Owen,

Wow. That is the big boy club. Here's a couple pics of the windproof marine cover I recently got my hands on.

You can see where the seams and pockets once were.

Cheers,

Matt

post-104659-0-83636300-1404073432.jpg

TrenchfootJoe66

There's really not much more to say regarding relative value of a set of Windproofs. Just keep your nose to the ground and your fingers crossed. Ya never know. And if you do find something bloody well buy it.

Hey Joe,

Pic 3 is of the interior. Is there something specific in the interior you'd like to see? I got this from a vintage dealer who's in the Chicago area. He had the two tiger boonies which I posted, a few erdl eight point covers which were gone before I got there and 2 windproof covers.

I asked him if he had any provenance and he said no as he got them picking. The boonies are definetly authentic tiger fabrics as I hope are the arvn windproofs. It's not the same fabric as the WWII British windproofs thought. It's not as heavy. I don't have or have never handled the Viet ones so I have no way to authenticate the fabric but It looks legit. The stitch holes from the removed pockets and seams are a good sign. The other one has a 58 faintly written at the center back of the inside sweatband.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Matt

manayunkman

Those colors are very similar to German parachute camouflage.

I never knew they sold for that much.

I'll never make that mistake again.