VN Era Marbles Jet Pilot Knife

Fritz

EKCollector

Thanks for the replys, I was asking about the finish.

This knife at one time was in Adrian Van Dyk's collection. It has the number 209 painted on the parkerized pommel. Maybe done by Mr. Van Dyk. Maybe an armory marking. This is a civilians model that has a parkerized blade with the roller coaster MARBLES marking. The tang stamp also has the number 1 above the U.S.M.C.

My question is about the finish to the blade. I have sold many Marbles JPK's with blued and bright blades both military and civilian models. But I have never found a Marbles JPK with a parkerized blade Civilian or Military Models. Have any of you? Any input welcome.

post-186659-0-45594600-1533517376_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Yes, I can identify this knife. It did come out of my collection. I also remember the USMC markings, they were on it when I purchased it. I always was suspicious of the legitimacy of the markings, but bought it "just in case". The stamping was very well done, and would be difficult to do this well after the knife was assembled. The blade was parkerized when I purchased it.

During the 1960's I purchased a number of the commercial pilot survival knives from Marbles. Some of these I parkerized the metal parts by immersing them in an electric coffee pot with a parkerizing solution that I had made up. I also found out that if I left the knives in there too long, the phosphoric acid ate up the metal. . Later knives produced by Marbles did not have the old style marking and were just marked with block letter. I lost interest in the commercial knives after that and ceased purchasing any more. I probably parkerized about 4-5 knives. The pommel would unscrew, and I would immerse the blade up to the guard, or sometimes I would completely remove all of the leather washers, then do the parkerization.

The marking on the pommel is typical of the way I marked my military knives in my collection. Got the idea from Bob Abels, who marked his bowie knife collection this way. It is a non-destructive way to mark them.

I had a number of the issue Marbles knives in my collection. I bought a brand new one in the box from a fellow who told me he bought it in a PX. As I recall, his name was Joe Stemp, and he was a military target shooter of some renown. He was an OGCA member and had a gun business somewhere in Ohio. Sold lots of reloading equipment. Hope this helps.

Adrian Van Dyk

• 1 year later...

I found this thread when researching my Marble Pilot Survival Knife and it just goes to show that this forum has a topic for everything! This knife came from the collection of WW2 Veteran who collected knifes and swords in the 1950's and 1960's. This is beautiful condition with the original hang care tag, warranty card and even the original dated ad from a magazine dated in 1959 when he bought it. The scabbard is dark leather with the leather tie downs and extra length and has the original whetstone in place while the knife itself is mint with the blue blade and the iron cross guard that I believe is correct for issue knifes. I know that this is in Cole's book and matches his drawing perfectly plus it's identical to the first one in this thread. Enjoy and hope that you like it!

post-17286-0-59128600-1585673423_thumb.jpg

post-17286-0-07483900-1585673438_thumb.jpg

post-17286-0-31687600-1585673452_thumb.jpg

You're welcome and glad that you liked it, I've been meaning to post it here for a long time and finally had a chance to do so.