Naval Operations Support Group Pacific

This one arrived in the mail today, I am always thrilled to get patches with provenance and information.

The is patch dates from 1967, to me the interesting part is what this patch later became.

First the subject patch:

post-582-0-19775800-1400706527.jpg

I'm curious as based solely on the construction of the two patches the Naval Special Warfare Group Pacific looks older than the Naval Operations Support Group Pacific patch. Are you sure that the Naval Operations Support Group patch came before the Naval Special Warfare Group Pacific patch?

Both patches are of the same manufacture twill with embroidery the Spec War patch is actually used, it is from a member of BJU 1

he wore it in the early 70's. (it still belongs to him) The other was never worn!

Naval Operations Support Groups were formed to aid UDTs, SEALs, and two other unique units—Boat Support and Beach Jumpers—in administration, planning, research, and development. During the Vietnam war, UDTs performed reconnaissance missions and SEALs carried out numerous offensive operations

•1967: The Naval Operations Support Groups were renamed “Naval Special Warfare Groups” (NSWGs) as involvement increased in special operations.

Thanks for the clarification. I checked the Internet and found that UDU-1 and UDU-2 were disestablished in 1963 and became Naval Operations Support Groups Pacific and Atlantic. Then as you stated in 1967 the Naval Operations Support Groups were renamed Naval Special Warfare Groups.

• 3 years later...

I am interested in buying a command shoulder patch for one of my old commands where I was stationed as the Staff Supply Officer from August 1965 to August 1967. The name of the command was the Naval Operations Support Group, Pacific located on the US Naval Amphibious Base Coronado, California. In 1975 this command was renamed Commander, Naval Special Warfare Group ONE. I have seen the Navsupgru patch on line on this site but not for sale. Can you find this patch again and let me know where I can obtain it?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Gregory S. Palazzolo, LCDR, SC, USN (retired)

• 1 year later...