My Great Uncle Max's Navy Cross

CHASEUSA11B

CHASEUSA11B

Hello everyone. I posted this on the Facebook page so many of you have already seen this but I'm excited to share this nonetheless.

I have long known that my great uncle Max was present at Pearl Harbor and was awarded the Navy Cross for action in the Solomon's. Unfortunately, he was killed in an accident at sea in 1949 so of course I was never able to meet him. My grandmother loved her brother very much and kept his memory alive by sharing stories and giving me many pictures of him from his time in the Navy.

Despite the many times we have talked about him and the fact that my grandma knows I collect military and family history, she never mentioned that she had his medals or anything else from his time in service.

Unfortunately, my grandma is in very poor health and is making arrangements for the inevitable. In doing so, she pulled out her brothers Navy Cross and Good Conduct Medal and told my mother that she wanted me to have them. I am extremely honored to be given the medals and I cannot believe she kept the medals hidden and safe since 1949.

post-6201-0-39644400-1400565936.jpg

CHASEUSA11B

Here is a picture of Max holding the medal and with the box that I now have.

post-6201-0-78328600-1400567005.jpg

CHASEUSA11B

Ok, that's all Ill post for now. I have several more great photos of Max I can post if anyone is interested and I can also take more pics of the Navy Cross or close ups, just let me know.

Thanks for looking!

It's very nice that these medals have stayed in the family! It's also great to see the images as these early WWII Navy Crosses are so hard to find. Thank you for posting.

Mike

That is truly an awesome story, and awesome set of medals.

So nice to see something like this that still means something to the family.

Thanks for posting.

What a spectacular piece of history. I am thrilled that you get to be the one to preserve your uncle's history. He was truly an American hero!

Allan

KASTAUFFER

Thank you for posting this. I am happy to see his memory is being kept alive,

Kurt

I know you will honor your uncles group.Thanks for allowing us to share.

Robert

Brian Dentino

Great items, but the family connection makes them all the more so......thanks for sharing them, and your G-Uncles service with us here!

LuftStalg1

Wonderful, and I am sure he is smiling down on you and proud that you care as much as you do to share this with us.

Old Marine

I am so glad that it ended up with you, I know that it will be cared for and kept safe. Your Uncle was a very brave man, and deserves to be remembered. The medal is beautiful. Thanks for posting it and Congratulations.

Great that its in the family and in appreciative hands. Thanks for letting us share this great story. Bobgee

CHASEUSA11B

Thank you all for the interest and for helping keep my Great Uncle's memory alive. I have always found it tragic that he died in the service of his country (non combat) and never had the opportunity to have a family and enjoy his life. Its crazy to think of all the time he missed out on since his death to the present as my grandma is still alive. To me he is emblematic of all those young men who died and in many cases forgotten by the passage of time.

Thank you again for looking. I hope no one minds if I post some more pics of Max as a tribute to his life......

KurtA- I also found it interesting that the newspaper article refers to it as a "DSC." Perhaps the writer was an Army vet?

unclegrumpy- Thank you for posting the link. I tried to attach it but I have trouble posting things with this computer and cant preview things I post for some reason.