ROK Involvement in Vietnam

woo1693

Hey guys,

As a current ROK Infantryman I really appreciate your compliments on the ROK force. I always respected the US servicemen and women as well as countless of other soldiers from various nations that arrived to my country's aid during the Korean War.

My uncle was a South Korean Marine who was killed in action in Vietnam. With the memorial day coming up soon for you guys, (May 26th, right?) and the Korean memorial day coming up not long after (June 6th), I would like to share some picture I found of ROK soldiers in Vietnam. If any Vietnam war vets here who served with South Korean troops, I would love to here your opinion on them.

Many thanks

post-143837-0-98776800-1400545961.jpg

post-143837-0-92599800-1400545962.jpg

post-143837-0-43975800-1400545963.jpg

This one hit close to home for me.

post-143837-0-11290800-1400546109.jpg

This picture is very famous in Korea. I believe the helmet is still preserved somewhere.

Thanks again guys.

Bob Hudson

Here are a couple of ROK Vietnam presentation pieces given to a US Navy "gator navy" commander:

k1.jpg

k2.jpg

k3.jpg

1SG_1st_Cav

ROK soldiers were the Asian best troops we ever worked with in Vietnam. I also worked with KATUSAs in Korea in 1960-61.

I have nothing but the highest regards for the Korean Military. Danny

woo1693,

I worked a number of Combat Tracking missions with an ROK infantry unit. They were top notch, tough, disciplined, squared away troops. We never had second thoughts about working with them.

Ken

Patchcollector

I've read and heard stories about the ROK troops in Vietnam.They were legends in their time,especially the ROK Marines.Thanks for your Uncles',and your service.Nice photos.Could you please translate what is written on the helmet?

Sure!

On the bottom it says "필승" (Pil-Seung) the salute for the ROKMC and few infantry division in the army. This soldier is from the ROKMC, as you notice his duckhunter camo.

On the top it says "순아, 보고싶다" (Soona, bogoshipda) meaning "I miss you, Soon!" Soon is likely referring to the name of the soldier's girlfriend he left behind.

The funniest one I thought is the "정조준 사격금지구역" meaning "Do not aim at this area".

Patchcollector

Hahaa,nice.Thanks for the translation.I agree.the "Do not aim at this area" is the funniest ^_^

skypilot6670

WOO1693 I worked with ROK Marines in and around DaNang in late 71 and early 72.Usually it would be a roving patrol at the deep water pier or Bridge Ramp or Tien Sha and sometimes convoy integrity and security at four corners.I went with the ROK when ever I could.I was a kid and they looked out for me and I for my part did what I could for them cigaretts and food. We traded often and the c ration Kimshee was my favorite. ROK troops were squared away no bull ---- troops. Fraternally Mike

Manchu Warrior

I had not known the sacrifices that the Koreans had made in Vietnam until I spent a day at the War Memorial located in Seoul. It really was a great museum and I learned quite a bit that day.

I had not known the sacrifices that the Koreans had made in Vietnam until I spent a day at the War Memorial located in Seoul. It really was a great museum and I learned quite a bit that day.

That's awesome. When I was with the CDC (Capital Defense Command) I used to work there a lot. I volunteered as a docent and translator on my spare time. I know most of the people who work there. The Korean War section is quite interesting, no? First floor's "ancient" Korean warfare room is also nice, but it isn't as popular, but still nice regardless.

Manchu Warrior

That's awesome. When I was with the CDC (Capital Defense Command) I used to work there a lot. I volunteered as a docent and translator on my spare time. I know most of the people who work there. The Korean War section is quite interesting, no? First floor's "ancient" Korean warfare room is also nice, but it isn't as popular, but still nice regardless.

I was stationed at Camp Casey and instead of taking a military flight home I decided to take a civilian fight. The Army covered some of the fees but it still cost me. But that way I was able to spend my last two days down in Seoul. Because even though I had been to Seoul at least five or six times over the year we always went to baseball games and clubs etc. So my last two days in the ROK were spent in some big fancy hotel in Seoul eating at fancy expensive restaurants and smoking fat expensive cigars. I also finally made it to the War Memorial and overall it was a great experience.

Bob Hudson

From the website at http://www.talkingproud.us/Military/ROKVIetnam/ROKVIetnamIntro.html

The United States did not fight alone in the Vietnam-Laos Wars. Six nations and many indigenous peoples from the region fought with her. One of those was the Republic of Korea (ROK). The Koreans started arriving shortly after the US Marines in 1965, they kept coming, and they stayed and fought until the end, in 1973. At their peak, they had close to 50,000 boots on the ground, the second largest foreign force to fight for the RVN. Over 300,000 served. About 5,000 died. This was the ROK's first military action abroad. It came only 17 years after the republic was formed, only 16 after its fledgling new constabulary was formed, and only 12 after the Korean War concluded. They fought hard. Their enemy, our enemy, paid a dear price for engaging them.

the ROK troopers we served with were tough as nails. our MP unit occasionally had PW's brought in by our line infantry units. when the vc was interrogated, they were sometimes offered the choice of talking to US soldiers, or being transferred to the ROK compound and given a chance to talk to them. the vc always decided to talk to US soldiers. the ROK's scared the vc more than anything else.

Jumpin Jack

While serving in Korea I had the pleasure of having a KATUSA platoon under my command. They were members of the White Horse Division. There was nothing that would not or could not do. Quite often they set the example for the remainder of my company. When in Vietnam, the White Horse was brought in as a division force. They immediately established their presence. They fought well, and were feared by the enemy forces. I hold them in the highest regard. Jack Angolia

While serving in Korea I had the pleasure of having a KATUSA platoon under my command. They were members of the White Horse Division. There was nothing that would not or could not do. Quite often they set the example for the remainder of my company. When in Vietnam, the White Horse was brought in as a division force. They immediately established their presence. They fought well, and were feared by the enemy forces. I hold them in the highest regard. Jack Angolia

Wow! I'm a current 9th Infantry Division officer! My division also served in the Vietnam war. It is great meeting you!