"Let's Go! The 29th Infantry Division from 1917-2001" Update

CW4AFB

Gents

quick update on my book: "Let's Go! The History of the 29th Infantry Division from 1917 to 2001."

I received the advance copy from the publisher on Tuesday and I think it looks pretty good---I may be a little biased but you know.....It should be on the shelves in the U.S. win the next 4 or 5 weeks.

Anyway, special thanks to all of you here who helped especially: Chuck Thomas, Rogier VanDeHoef, Scott Stevens, John Simmons, Erick Eastes, Steve MacGeorge, Henri-Paul Enjames, Bob Nay, Kevin Born, John E. Patton, Jason Mikles, Paul Reijnders, Allen Henderson and Steve Klima.

Here are some samples from the various sections:

post-2235-0-62576400-1400353588.jpg

post-2235-0-11313700-1400353628.jpg

Looks like an Excellent Reference Book on the 29th I.D ;)

And the Very Best of Luck with it... to you with your sales also Very Nice.

Looks like an Excellent Reference Book on the 29th I.D ;)

And the Very Best of Luck with it... to you with your sales also Very Nice.

Thanks for the kind words--the intent was capture the history of the 29th from its birth in 1917 through to the end of the 20th century and end with a short salute to the 29th's participation in OIF/OEF.---that's why the contributions of the folks here were so important.

s/f

Al

I cant wait till this is out.

-Dave

Dave---if you are in the Virginia-Maryland area, come to Fort Lee next Saturday (24 May) for the Fort Lee Militaria show at the QM Museum---should be a lot of good trading, buying or selling going on...regards, Al

• 1 month later...
everforward

Love it, it's a fantastic book....LOTS of great stuff in this. Very proud to be a part of it.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my copy today. Would you believe that my wife has been looking at it for the last hour?!?!?! It is chock full of excellent photos and the information on the 29th Infantry Division and the Virginia National Guard is excellent. There are truly some one of a kind pieces in the pages of what I am sure will become one of the "must have" references on the 29th Infantry Division. The best part is that the reference covers the Division from World War I to the 21st Century!

Congrats to Al Barnes for putting out such a fine volume of work.

Allan

I got my copy over the weekend, in spite of the USPS's best efforts to loose it. It went from VA to MD by way of NC and seemingly the moon. Anyhow, thanks again to Al Barnes for getting it to me.

I've only had a chance to thumb through it a couple of times, but overall it is a very well-done book. Lots of great photos, good history of the division and some very interesting artifacts as well. I especially like the inter-war period and Cold War info, which is often lacking in books like this. The inclusion of lots of ephemera is also appreciated. It's clear the authors put a lot of effort into this and I'm glad someone finally took the time to do an in-depth history of the division. I would recommend it to anyone interested in the blue and gray.

Gents---thanks for the very kind words---Our goal was to provide a complete history of the 29th Division from 1917 to 2001 with an acknowledgement of the heroic service of the division in OIF and OEF. From your comments it sounds like we came pretty close. A lot of that is due to guys like Paul Reijnders, Henri-Paul Enjames and Jason Mikles who shared much of their personal collections so we could get the complete picture of the 29th.

regards, Al

• 6 months later...

This book is probably my favorite book on my book shelf. It is full of info about the 29th which includes at least something related to just about anything the 29th ever did. And it also has artifacts on pretty much every page along with rare photos. This in my opinion is the 29th Division collectors bible. I highly recommend it. Great book, Al!

-Dave

Dave ---thanks for the kind words---They're much appreciated---It was a lot of work but worth the effort.

Your timing is pretty good---I just got the word that my next book, due out in September 2015, is available for pre-order on Amazon and at the Schiffer website. It's a two volume set entitled "To Hell with the Kaiser; America Prepares for War 1916-1918." It covers all of the major training camps in the US and France as well as the unique influences of the Punitive Expedition, the mobilization of the National Guard in 1916, the massive conscription of alien immigrants, the employment of African American soldiers, and the ravages of Spanish Flu on the American Expeditionary Force.

This book is probably my favorite book on my book shelf. It is full of info about the 29th which includes at least something related to just about anything the 29th ever did. And it also has artifacts on pretty much every page along with rare photos. This in my opinion is the 29th Division collectors bible. I highly recommend it. Great book, Al!

-Dave

post-2235-0-38618900-1423012932.jpg