• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jfairclo

jfairclo
  • Members
    • Member ID: 127,572
  • 351 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:27 PM

Hey guys, I picked this bayonet up the other day and wanted to see what you think. I bought this one and a civil war one from a guy I get stuff from, and I think the one might be Hessian in style, but you decide. The bayonet is exactly 12 inches long, and the socket is aout 2 and 3/4. The only mark I see is "A No. 86" on the socket. Does anyone know about this bayonet?

Thanks,

JCF

Attached Images

• bayo1.jpeg
  • bayo2.jpeg
  • bayo3.jpeg
  • bayo4.jpeg

#2 Steve Rogers

Steve Rogers
  • Members
    • Member ID: 151,665
  • 171 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 05:00 AM

The style seems to be that called by collectors "Dutch," which is shorthand not only for Holland but for the various German states as well: relatively flat hexagonal blade, bar shoulder, heavy socket with three-step mortise. These are associated with early imports to Britain to supplement Brown Bess production as well as use by German states. I don't think anyone has untangled it all, but Erik Goldstein's book on Brown Bess bayonets deals with them. For a brief time it looked liked the versions of this bayonet that shift to a flat rectangular bar instead of edged blade near the base were Hessian (from an excavated relic find), but American use of an earlier "Dutch" variant could not be ruled out.

#3 jfairclo

jfairclo
  • Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:16 AM

Ok, thanks for the info

#4 marysdad

marysdad
  • Members
    • Member ID: 14,915
  • 64 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:11 PM

This is the later short shank variant of the Dutch/Liege socket bayonet, ca. 1750. Very nice find. As Steve indicates, Goldstein's book, The Socket Bayonet in the British Army 1687-1783, covers these bayonets very well.

#5 jfairclo

jfairclo
  • Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:09 AM

WOW, interesting, now I don't feel as guilty paying 100 bucks!

#6 Yankee Trader Relics

Yankee Trader Relics
  • Members
    • Member ID: 66,294
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:41 AM

Hello JCF - Great find for 100 bucks.  What you have is exactly what the other threads state it is.  Dutch/Germanic bayonet/French and Indian Wars/Rev War.  I wanted to add a little comment regarding the NO. 86 on the socket.  The number generally references the individual in the company/regiment.  The 86th man for instance.  I have seen variations on the sockets C/86 on other bayonets.  Company C, 86th man.  I collect Rev War bayonets and I am always interested in seeing pictures of new finds as well as purchasing bayonets for the collection.  Thanks for sharing.

#7 Freedom

Freedom
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 156,162
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 11:21 AM

I have an almost twin to the OP's bayonet. The 2 3/4",  bottom stud, open socket is marked with "!P 14" with a 12 1/2" flat blade that is six sided, having a small guard like the OP's blade. Even the almost open weld seam shows on my socket. The inside of the socket is much larger than an 1795 Springfield musket barrel. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users