Saber Knot Identification

noworky

Can anyone tell me what knot this is? At one time I thought they were the 1872. If anyone knows could you also tell me what sabers it would have been used with. Thanks, Chris

post-2455-1212628503.jpg

Thank you for the information I guess I will have to get another 1902 to display the black and gold bullion knot on. I have an AMES 1902 with the first leather type in your attatched article. Could you tell me or show me what the 1872 knot looks like? Also for the short time the 1906 saber was around what knot would be correct for it? Thanks

Spathologist
Thank you for the information I guess I will have to get another 1902 to display the black and gold bullion knot on. I have an AMES 1902 with the first leather type in your attatched article. Could you tell me or show me what the 1872 knot looks like? Also for the short time the 1906 saber was around what knot would be correct for it? Thanks

:lol:

http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?t=88932

You and I need to sit down for a beer...

The M1872 knot (in russet) would be correct for the XM1906 for enlisted men; it's described in the 1908 Saber Drill. I think the leather M1902 knot would be correct for officers, but I have a theory.

The "regulation" M1902 leather knot is designed to be used with a button piece, and the guard of the M1902 has a slot to specifically accept a button piece....as mentioned in the thread over at the Military Horse forum, there is a flat-strap version of the M1902 officer knot. It's not made for a button piece, and it looks like it would be a pain to fit it through the little button piece slot on the guard of the M1902. It looks to be made to simply loop around the guard.

Which would be perfect for the XM1906, since it has no provision for a button piece...but it's just an idea unless I can get a period image of an officer with a XM1906 and the flat-strap knot...

This is the knot for an officers sword, as worn with the DRESS uniform. The brown leather would have been worn with the drab or khaki service unifor,.

Note this is gold/black. A general officers' would be all gold.

G

This is the knot for an officers sword, as worn with the DRESS uniform. The brown leather would have been worn with the drab or khaki service unifor,.

Note this is gold/black. A general officers' would be all gold.

G

Yes, this gold/black knot was worn with the 1902 Officers Saber for full dress while the brown leather knot was worn with the service dress kit.

Here is the regulation gold knot for General Officers. This knot could be worn on either the regulation 1860/1872 General Officer S&F Sword or the 1902 Saber for all Officers (since a specific sword for General's was dispensed with in 1902).

Gen_Off_knot.JPG

I'll have a beer with you anytime, cold ones in my fridge here in Idaho all the time ! I'll have a beer with anyone anytime! w00t.gif

Thanks for the expertise and information as usual of this forum. Do any of you guys have pictures of the 1872 knots? Thanks

Spathologist
Do any of you guys have pictures of the 1872 knots? Thanks

On that thread at the Sword Forum, there's a picture of the M1872 knot. Basically, it's the same used in the civil war modified with a button piece on the end instead of a solid loop.

Interestingly, in the 1920s the Army went back to a solid-loop knot for the M1913 because the button piece design wasn't very strong....

I'll have a beer with you anytime, cold ones in my fridge here in Idaho all the time ! I'll have a beer with anyone anytime! w00t.gif

Thanks for the expertise and information as usual of this forum. Do any of you guys have pictures of the 1872 knots? Thanks

Here is the knot in question.

sword_knot_72.JPG