LF&C 1918

Les George

Some of the picts are of blacked out knives with the guard ground down. Where the guards ever ground down by armorers before issue or only by the guys getting them? Having a pristine, never issued looking piece with a ground down guard makes me think it was down before issue. Any opinions?

Dre66,

I am sure that anything is possible. A local armorer may have done it to an unissued knife before handing it out. My area of specialty is WW1 and in that war, they just didn't see enough use for there to be many field modifications. I have never seen a WW1 mark one bring-back that was ground. It seems that WW2 service is when most of them were altered.

Of course, you can also buy "brass black" at the gun store...

Chris

The fact that anyone can darken the brass/bronze and grind off the guards adds to the confusion as to how they were issued out during WWII. The question becomes, when were the mods made? Is the finish real or done in the last few years to appear old? etc. Unfortunately, there are many who try to pass off fakes or rebuilds.

They were modified for the airborne units that they were issued to so that they had a snug fit on the paratroopers side and would not hurt them upon landing. These units especially liked these knives because if their parachutes would get caught up in high places (trees, roof tops, steeples), the m1918 Mark 1 would not fall off their hands and would allow them to cut themselves free from their chutes. I asked a World War 2 veteran personally about his preference of this particular model knife.

The few OCLs that were offered to me for sale, I was not comfortable with. I have noticed your OCLs in previous posts and would be interested if you were looking to sell one of them. Please let me know if one becomes available.

Seen photos of Lance and Knucvks7´s collections I understand why we other collectors have problem to find these knives for sell. You two guys have all! :-) Really great collections! Congratulation!!

I am only poor boy with 2 M1918 Mark1s in my collection :-(

Hello Poch,

Thanks for the compliment. I saw your previous post of one of your M1918 Mark1s and it is a real nice one.

Living in the US provides the opportunity to acquire these from the veterans and their families.

If you go to the SOS in Louisville Ky, or the MAX show in Pittsburg PA., you will be able to see a decent amount for sale.

Good luck hunting.

Thanks for the PM's, but none of the 1918's are for sale at the present time.

I would be interested if you had any for sale though.

Regards.

All above,

Thanks sharing your collections AND your expertise. 1918s have been on my list for a long time. Guess I'll have to move from M3s and M4 bayonets now.

Ken

knucvks7,

You have a wonderful collection--thanks for sharing! I only have one question. How do you display them all?

I currently have mine in one of those glass-top curio side-tables, but I would love to come up with a more effective (and attractive) way to display them. Alas, I am not very visually creative.

Chris

Skautdog,

The forum has provided tremendous info for those looking to acquire a 1918 knuckle knife in confidence. The posts provided by "militariaone" are fantastic as well as various posts by, "cwnorma", "Tony from NH" , Frank T., and many others.

Chris, I do not display my collection. They are kept in wartime supply boxes. This was the first time in a very long time that I displayed some of them to share on the forum.

Regards.

Frank Trzaska

Impressive Knucvks7!! Very impressive. Thanks for sharing the collection. While the knives always take the top billing your scabbard variations have me in awe.

All the best

Frank Trzaska

Chris, I do not display my collection. They are kept in wartime supply boxes. This was the first time in a very long time that I displayed some of them to share on the forum.

In that case, doubly-thanks for taking the time and effort to get them all out and share with us.

I must say, I can't imagine having that many fantastic knives and not having them out where I could look at them!

Chris

Frank, that is quite a compliment coming from you, thank you. Your site has a been a source of tremendous information to me and other collectors for many years, please continue to keep us informed.

Chris, thank you for the compliment as well. Please continue to post your 1918's and other knuckle knives also.

Regards.