Need help with "interpreting" this service coat

USAF29thINFvet

USAF29thINFvet

I recently found a family members service coat from WWII. Can anyone here help me with figuring out what he did, where he was, etc. while participating in WWII? Also...what do all the ribbons and devices mean?

I am accustomed seeing division patches on the sleeves. Also, there is an arrowhead and four stars on the Asiatic -Pacific ribbon.

One more thing...the Drivers Badge has Driver-T hanging on it...and the collar brass has a WWI type tank on it...

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

Brian

post-777-0-93238800-1398966289.jpeg

Timberwolf

I'd say with the armor brass and amphibious ESB patch your guy may have been with an Amphibious Armored unit (AMTRAKS) His unit probably transported Marines as evidenced by a Navy PUC.

USAF29thINFvet

The stars designate campaigns I suppose? What campaigns other that Okinawa?

Timberwolf

Unless you have his discharge you won't be able to know for certain what campaign the stars represent. Since he has the 10th Army patch we know he was at Okinawa, if your able to find out his exact unit you may be able to see what campaigns his unit participated in and find out what actions the stars represent.

USAF29thINFvet

I am thinking it is a "veteran group" ribbon of some sort...like VFW or American Legion?

USAF29thINFvet

Look on right side of poster...looks like the one in the Association, Society, Civic and State Ribbons

post-777-0-10443400-1398968406.jpg

SergeantMajorGray

That's probably it then also looks like a certificate of merit but that is too old of a medal for this uniform.

I am thinking it is a "veteran group" ribbon of some sort...like VFW or American Legion?

Yes, it is a VFW ribbon bar. Very common to find these added on to uniforms after the fact. I would leave it right where it is.

I think that he was earlier in USMC, later he came to army

Based on what? There is nothing on the uniform that would indicate he ever served in the USMC. The soldier obviously served in an Army unit that was awarded the Navy PUC.

1st AAA Group

Hmm...4 campaigns with arrowhead and 2 Navy PUC's. That's pretty impressive. From the ribbons he was also involved in some earlier invasions prior to Oki. Just a guess, but he could have belonged to the 708th Amphibious Tank Bn, That Bn had 3 campaigns for Kwajalein, Philippines, and Okinawa. Others with 3 or more campaigns; 672nd Amphib. Tractor Bn, but they ended up down South at Balikpapan, Borneo. Another, the 727th Amphib. Tractor Bn. also finished up the war at Balikpapan, but was moved to Okinawa in Oct, 45. Could not find any with 4 campaigns. One, the 826th Amphib Tractor Bn. had 5; Bismarck Archipelago, New Guinea, Leyte, Luzon, and Southern Philippines. The 2 Navy PUC's should be a helpful lead though.

staffsgtwilson04

Company D 776th Amphibian Tank Bn had 4 campaign credits. Angaur, Peleliu, Leyte, and Okinawa. With Arrowhead. They were the only element of 776th with four campaigns. The Driver T indicates he was a tracked vehicle driver. I have the rosters and unit photo's of company D if you'd like me to check. This was my grandpa's unit.

What color is the star? If it's blue there's a chance he got ahold of an early issue Navy PUC and just put it on, even if his unit was only awarded one PUC. We all know about the laxness in uniform regs during WWII, so that's just one more possibility to add to the mix.