Birth 25 March 1920

Somerville MA

77th Troop Carrier Squadron

435th Troop Carrier Group

C-47A Pilot and Power Pilot

KIA 6 June 1944

vicinity Etienville France

2008-12-31 002.JPG

2nd Lt Thomas Ashworth Jr., co-pilot of the C-47 43-30734, took off from station 474 in Welford, UK to drop 17 paratroopers over DZ-C as part of Operation Albany during the Normandy invasion. Their target time was 0120. Their plane was the last of five waves to cross the Cotentin, over air defenses now on full alert. To complicate matters, there were heavy clouds at 1500 feet, gone unreported due to the strict radio silence. Some pilots decided to pull up and find their DZs with the Eureka-Rebecca system, others went low to obtain a visual of their DZs, and a rare few stayed the course through the cloud bank. While approaching DZ-C, flak hit the last three planes, including the 43-30734, no doubt killing the navigator. Another shell exploded in the tail section, throwing the entire stick, already attached to the static line, to the ground. Some were wounded, others not. The order was given to jump. Two soldiers made it out before the plane went into a nosedive, flames engulfing the aircraft. Pvt Morin clambered over the dozen bodies of his comrades to hurl himself out of the plane, seeing it crash 250m away before landing with a twisted ankle. Only two other paras survived

Monument to the Brave Airmen and Troopers that early June morning...

On the outside wall of a town house.

Marker

An old weather-beaten dark plaque with engravings commemorating the crew and passengers of the C-47 43-30734 that crashed there.

1395792177Montessy%20plaque.jpg

At this location nineteen American servicemen gave their lives for freedom
0120 HR June 6, 1944

Air crew: 77th Squadron, 435th Troop Carrier Group
Capt. John H. Schaefers Pilot
2nd Lt Thomas Ashworth Co-Pilot
1st Lt Joseph J. Sullivan Navigator
TSgt Melvin Isserson Engineer
SSgt David Mackenzie Radio Operator

G Company, 501st Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division
Sgt John A. Schadt
Cpl Eugene W. Morrison
Cpl William A. Sobieralski
Pfc Tony A. Burnett
Pfc Harry B. Brown
Pfc Anthony Salemi
Pfc Milo W. Ludy
Pvt Ollie W. DeHaven
Pvt James Reynolds
Pvt Michael A. Mastandria
Pvt Michael L. Pushcare
Pvt Corwin J. Randt
Pvt Erland W. Chellin
Pvt Felix J. Lopachin
Survivors
SSgt Charles F. Word
Pfc Lucien A. Tetrault
Pvt Arthur E. Morin

P1010009.JPG

P1010010.JPG

History Man

Very nice group to a D-Day Pilot....I believe that the aircrew that flew on that day are sometimes forgotten or shadowed by the paratroopers and ground infantry, thank you for posting.

RIP 2nd Lt. Ashworth

Philip

Wow, that is a great grouping. I have an original copy of the 435th TCG unit history and 2nd Lt Ashworth is mentioned in the first few pages amongst other fallen members of the Group. I also have a copy of General Order #42 Awards of the Air Medal to the 435th TCG. He is listed at the end of the 77th TCS section as Missing in Action.

If you ever think about selling the grouping, I would be extremely interested. I live only miles away from Welford Airfield.

Neil.

• 1 month later...

Bringing this back in Honor of the sacrifice made on this day 6 June 1944.

Ditto! Thanks for sharing. I believe there is a square in Somerville named after him. I will try to take a picture for you on my next visit through.

• 1 year later...