Dating a WWII burial flag

smwinter207

smwinter207

Guys,

I have seen two types of QM stamps on the 48 star burial flags. Are both considered to be the same time period, i.e. 1944-1950? Here are the examples. One seems to be blue, the other black.

I have also seen a Pacific KIA flag that has NO hallmarks.

Thanks.

post-20483-0-62857700-1398276718.jpg

post-20483-0-43879500-1398276763.jpeg

smwinter207

To be complete, I believe the blue marked flag was for a WWII KIA soldier in 1944. The black stamp is attributed to a WWII DNB sailor in 1943.

I read the gold star flags may have been "enhanced" in France.

Sean

Sean- do you have info of where/ when they were buried; specifically whether they were buried overseas or in the US?

Kyle

smwinter207

The photo Indexred used is from this soldier: George H. Moyer who was KIA on June 8, 1944 in France. Buried in PA.

The black stamp is for a navy man who died in Tunisia(DNB) in 1943. Buried in his home state of CA in 1948/49. (Per the estate agent I bought it from)

The blue stamp is to this KIA AAF soldier who is buried in Belgium. He was from PA.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=snyder&GSfn=donald&GSmn=l&GSbyrel=all&GSdy=1945&GSdyrel=in&GSob=n&GRid=56285707&df=all&

I have a Non stamped flag with the smooth rivets(like the blue stamped flag) to a KIA in the Pacific 1945. He is buried in Manilla.

*As a side note, you can see the different in the three rivets they used from the black to the blue flag.

smwinter207

So, I just bought another flag. This has the three smooth rivets like the blue stamped flag and Pacific KIA flag. What is interesting is the difference in the stamping. This is not attributable to anyone, unfortunately.

post-20483-0-45317700-1398295801.png

post-20483-0-59279100-1398295808.png

smwinter207

Here is a description of the history of these flags. I'd like to hear if anyone has a Korean War soldiers burial flag with these medal hooks.

http://www.flagcollection.com/itemdetails.php?CollectionItem_ID=27

48-Star US Flag from the Philadelphia Quartermaster Depot.
This large flag is a storm flag used on army posts during inclement weather. It is readily identifiable as a US government flag by the special size (5' X 9.5') and the distinctive hoist marking, "PHILA.QM.DEPOT" as well as the heavy, riveted, military style staples used on the upper and lower heading on the hoist edge.

This flag was made by the Philadelphia Quartermaster of the US Army in the late 1940s or early 1950s. It was used in the Korean War as an installation flag for use during bad weather. The condition of the flag suggests its use was infrequent. It was donated to the Star Spangled Banner Flag House by an unspecified source in 1981. This suggests a veteran or the family of a veteran gifted the flag upon the death of the veteran, which is a common practice by families in honor of the soldier who served.

The Philadelphia Quartermaster Depot was the designation used between 1926 and 1965 for the federal government's facility on the banks of the Schuylkill River in Philadelphia Pennsylvania. It made a huge portion of the flags used by the United States Army during WWII and the Korean Conflict.

smwinter207

You can see the rivets in the bottom right of this photo. They appear to be more like the blue stamp flag I showed earlier.

If anyone else has a WWII KIA flag or Korean War, please post if you want.

Thanks!

post-20483-0-65195200-1398528809.jpg

smwinter207

I just received this flag. Does anyone know what the numbers mean? 614 and 635? My Pacific KIA flag has the same marking..

Thanks,

Sean

post-20483-0-00748300-1398805401.jpg

HistoryNut

Here are some photos of a 48 flag sent to the parents of a KIA Combat Medic during the Korean War.

post-13256-0-87895500-1399065216.jpg

smwinter207

So, we solved the idea of what most WWII flags with hooks look like. I bought a flag attributed to a WWII sailor who died in the war. His rivets look very different. Here are the front and back. Any input?

post-20483-0-71563000-1399066893.jpg

post-20483-0-77023500-1399066907.jpg

jeff arthur

Hello,in answer to this subject,my grandfather was KIA in the E.T.O. 6/8/44,but my grandmother petitioned the U.S. Government that his remains be repatriated to Iowa, after the war,in 1947, he was of course immediately buried at the U.S. war cemetary in France , but was re - interred in Iowa in 1947,with Military Rites, I have his burial flag & will inspect this for markings,photograph what I find,and post for your consideration what I find. Best Regards, Jeff

CampSutton

What type of marking(s) were on 48-star flags that had gold stars? I've never seen one in person?

I have a flag in its original shipment box for a soldier that was in the 305th Infantry Regiment, 77th Infantry division. He was killed on Okinawa. The box is post marked in 1949 when his body was moved from Okinawa to the National Memorial Cemetery Of The Pacific.

In the box is a card that informs the next of kin - "Included is the United States flag which was used during the burial services held at the time your loved one was permanently laid to rest in the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific,Honolulu, T. H."

It does not have the rivets. It only has two grommets. No printing/marking on the flag but, I have never unfolded the flag. I lifted the uper end and I am certain I saw all of the bunting. By lifting the top edge I can see that t is one of the Gold Star flags. So in answer to your question at least the one I have has no markings.

• 9 months later...
ViewfinderGyrene

I have a question in regards to the material thickness. When unfurled and held up to a light source, are authentic wartime 5 x 9 flags relatively translucent, or are the thick enough to completely bock light?

Thanks,

VFG

ViewfinderGyrene

I have three of these flags. They are mostly light and transparent.

Thanks for clearing that up, wasn't sure if they were similar to the thicker-made flags we see today.

VFG

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...
Brian Keith

As noted above:

"This large flag is a storm flag used on army posts during inclement weather. It is readily identifiable as a US government flag by the special size (5' X 9.5') and the distinctive hoist marking, "PHILA.QM.DEPOT" as well as the heavy, riveted, military style staples used on the upper and lower heading on the hoist edge."

I suspect because this flag was a "storm" flag, it had heaver grommets.

BKW

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I have recent received a 5" X 9.5' 48 star flag that has been in our family for sometime.  I believe it may be the burial flag of my Great Grand Father Major General George H. Cameron. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_H._Cameron).  My great grand father died in 28 January 1944 and interred soon there after in ANC.  The photos do not show the "PHILA.QM.DEPOT" label.  However, I have noticed a single blue stich line on one side of the bunting.   I believe the material to be cotton.  There is a chance that this flag maybe the burial flag of his son (Lt. Douglass Tilford Cameron) who died 03 November 1918, buried in France and reinterred in ANC in March 1921.  

I appreciate on any ideas on the provenance of this flag, especially with the blue line and lack of "PHILA.QM.DEPOT" label.

Thanks 

DTO

flag001.jpg

flag002.jpg

flag003.jpg

flag004.jpg