• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 T-Bone

T-Bone
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,772
  • 613 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:06 PM

Well you never know what you will find in antique store book stacks.

I had just about given up finding anything in the shop when I noticed a book rack with some older title and SURPRISE a 1942 copy of the Officer's Guide. I had lost mine a while back and so I grabbed it quick; inside it was named to GEORGE ALVIN STOKES, LT US Infantry, Camp Walters, TX. Neat! Always interesting to have a named one. As I was about to trot up to pay for my find I see a book I had not seen before ESSENTIALS OF INFANTRY TRAINING (1941), sure enough I look inside the cover and it is inscribed George Alvin Stokes (Camp Walters is crossed out) 506 Parachute Inf. Camp Toombs, Toccoa, GA.

Beneath that is the rubber stamp reading; George A. Stokes,  2nd Lt 506th Parachute Inf.

Now even a guy as thick as me knows the 506th! It took a little digging to find out that 1Lt Stokes was the CO of 3 Platoon in B Company on D-Day. He passed away in 1998, and I found his books in Shreveport, LA.

Can anybody  fill in any more information about him?

Timo

#2 waltusma

waltusma
  • Members
    • Member ID: 11,652
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:34 PM

Awesome find!  Here is a link to the CIB orders for the 506th from Normandy http://www.506infant...B-JUNE-1944.pdf that has LT Stokes' name.  There used to be a lot more info on the Association site with a breakdown of photos by company, but the site has changed.  I've got a reprint of the 506th WWII yearbook so I'll check and see if there is a picture of him in there.  I'm with of B/1-506 IN so I find it extra interesting.

#3 T-Bone

T-Bone
  • Members
  • 613 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:14 PM

Awesome find!  Here is a link to the CIB orders for the 506th from Normandy http://www.506infant...B-JUNE-1944.pdf that has LT Stokes' name.  There used to be a lot more info on the Association site with a breakdown of photos by company, but the site has changed.  I've got a reprint of the 506th WWII yearbook so I'll check and see if there is a picture of him in there.  I'm with of B/1-506 IN so I find it extra interesting.

Glad to get a response on this, I was amazed when I found these books. The thing that really got to me was LT Stokes made it home and lived out his life until 1998. I was a little sad that the family did not appreciate that these books were so significant to him that he had held on to them. I am now starting to wonder if the WW2 101st Patch and sterling CIB I found on a previous trip to the shop were also his, sadly I missed a par of straight pin jump wings in this shop recently.

Any help would be appreciated.

All The Way!

#4 waltusma

waltusma
  • Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:01 PM

I checked through the book and could not find a named picture.  If I come across anything I'll let you know.

#5 T-Bone

T-Bone
  • Members
  • 613 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 01:16 PM

Thanks

Timo

#6 waltusma

waltusma
  • Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:58 PM

Well you never know what you will find in antique store book stacks.

I had just about given up finding anything in the shop when I noticed a book rack with some older title and SURPRISE a 1942 copy of the Officer's Guide. I had lost mine a while back and so I grabbed it quick; inside it was named to GEORGE ALVIN STOKES, LT US Infantry, Camp Walters, TX. Neat! Always interesting to have a named one. As I was about to trot up to pay for my find I see a book I had not seen before ESSENTIALS OF INFANTRY TRAINING (1941), sure enough I look inside the cover and it is inscribed George Alvin Stokes (Camp Walters is crossed out) 506 Parachute Inf. Camp Toombs, Toccoa, GA.

Beneath that is the rubber stamp reading; George A. Stokes,  2nd Lt 506th Parachute Inf.

Now even a guy as thick as me knows the 506th! It took a little digging to find out that 1Lt Stokes was the CO of 3 Platoon in B Company on D-Day. He passed away in 1998, and I found his books in Shreveport, LA.

Can anybody  fill in any more information about him?

Timo

I recently learned that LT Stokes also served in C Co, 506th after serving in Normandy with B Co.  I think he may have been transferred during Market Garden and if I recall he may have been their XO.  I recently missed out on an eBay auction that had a picture with his name on it and the roster of C Co guys from Market Garden.

#7 Fritz

Fritz
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,127
  • 2,885 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 01:12 PM

Cool! I have C company commanders uniform and some other things, I'll see if I have any reunion stuff with his name in C company.

Fritz

#8 lovmilinsig

lovmilinsig
  • Members
    • Member ID: 108,617
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 04:41 PM

Very cool!

Ed

#9 VMI88

VMI88
  • Members
    • Member ID: 265
  • 2,730 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 02:35 AM

I am now starting to wonder if the WW2 101st Patch and sterling CIB I found on a previous trip to the shop were also his, sadly I missed a par of straight pin jump wings in this shop recently.

It would be worth asking the owner of the shop - they might be able to confirm this for you.

#10 flytiger

flytiger
  • Members
    • Member ID: 126,385
  • 222 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:08 PM

Great find and great research paid off! Stand in the Door!

#11 CurraheeRunner

CurraheeRunner
  • Recruits
    • Member ID: 166,793
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:35 AM

T-Bone, please let me know of you ever decide to part with Stokes items. I have some of his combat stuff. I would love to continue putting his collection back together.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)