Extreem Case Of Screwy Ribbon Bars Vet Was In Army Navy Vietnam & Submarines

manayunkman

manayunkman

We have seen more than one case of screwy ribbon bars on this forum.

Whether by fault, design or just being randomly collected over the course of his service, these all came from one man.

Imagine being the vet a few years after retirement looking into the box and setting out on memory to put his bar back together.

It's no wonder mistakes are made especially if you don't have directions.

post-51189-0-75341900-1398216311.jpg

manayunkman

I'm assuming that since there are both Army and Navy Good Conduct Medals he was in both services ?

There is also an Air Medal.

What are the blue ribbons with the thin yellow lines ? Shooting ?

I'm assuming that since there are both Army and Navy Good Conduct Medals he was in both services ?

There is also an Air Medal.

What are the blue ribbons with the thin yellow lines ? Shooting ?

Those are USN marksmanship qualification badges I believe.

manayunkman

Thanks Jeff.

What's the difference between the one with the yellow lines and the one with the thinner green lines ?

Honestly, it looks like someone took a handful of ribbons and tried to put them on the bars. Unless there's some direct connection to a single person, I'd say the set up is just a mish-mash of ribbons from several people, maybe from a theater or something.

The blue ribbon with the yellow lines is NOT a Navy marksmanship medal. They have the thin green lines. I don't know what the ribbon is, but it might be a National Guard or ROTC ribbon.

Hope that helps!

Dave

I agree the ribbon on the right hand side of the photo not on a rack with the white yellow stripes is not a marksmanship metal. The ones with the green lines on the racks are the ones I commented on. I agree kinda looks like something just scattered together as there appears to be several Navy good conduct on one rack.

MilitaryWired

The dark blue with yellow ribbons are in fact Navy marksman ribbons. The one with 2 yellow stripes is Distinguished Pistol Shot, and the one with 3 yellow stripes is Distinguished Rifle Shot.

The dark blue with yellow ribbons are in fact Navy marksman ribbons. The one with 2 yellow stripes is Distinguished Pistol Shot, and the one with 3 yellow stripes is Distinguished Rifle Shot.

D'oh! You're right! I should have looked at Wikipedia first...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distinguished_Marksmanship_Ribbon

manayunkman

These are indeed all from one person.

Niece sold them at yard sale and apparently I missed out on medals and uniforms.

You can see that there is some proper content and sequence but it quickly goes south from there.

My point however is not why is it this way but that it is this way directly from the family to me.

Just goes to show you how screwy things can be.

I agree the ribbon on the right hand side of the photo not on a rack with the white yellow stripes is not a marksmanship metal. The ones with the green lines on the racks are the ones I commented on. I agree kinda looks like something just scattered together as there appears to be several Navy good conduct on one rack.

manayunkman

I managed to get some paperwork from his wallet thrown in on the deal so I have a name.

He was born in 1950

I managed to get some paperwork from his wallet thrown in on the deal so I have a name.

It would be great if you could get his records to see about his Army and Navy service.

..Kat

manayunkman

I think he is still alive as his name comes up from the same town as the sale.

A phone number is listed.

Risk the chance of starting a family feud if I call.

manayunkman

Now it looks like he moved to Michigan last year.

Who moves from SoCal to Michigan at the age of 63 ?

Usually the scenario is the reverse.

Maybe he found a beautiful home for 5,000 paid cash and has plenty of savings and retirement to buy heat.

The story I got at the sale doesn't ad up.

Now it looks like he moved to Michigan last year.

Who moves from SoCal to Michigan at the age of 63 ?

Usually the scenario is the reverse.

Maybe he found a beautiful home for 5,000 paid cash and has plenty of savings and retirement to buy heat.

The story I got at the sale doesn't ad up.

Often older people move to be closer the children or grand children.Often heath issues can dictate this as well.On going medical issues and the need for care can cause people to move closer to relatives for assistance or to live with said relative.

Yup....kinda worn like this...

:D

Looks like the loser brigade.Nice faux coon cap and traffic belts.Guess Im out of touch with what cool is...........

manayunkman

The medals are on bars.

A very interesting combination of material that must have an interesting story.

post-51189-0-88232100-1398560691.jpg

firefighter

That is one interesting dual service grouping.Can we get a better picture of the business type card.Looks like some rank insignia from different ports of call.I have something similar in a Navy group that I have.