An American made Mexican Bayonet with an extraordinary history.

militariaone

militariaone

Greetings all,

I normally don’t possess much interest in collecting items earlier than WWI, but there are time’s I will make an exception as in this bayo’s case. This Mexican Model Knife Bayonet 1899 is for the No.5 Remington Rolling Block Rifle is in of itself not a particularly rare bayonet. However, the one below is not your average example. It is an genuine artifact from the “March 9, 1916 Columbus, New Mexico cross border raid” which predicated the U.S. Mexican Expedition AKA the “Punitive Expedition” to take place from March 14, 1916, to February 7, 1917. And it was the personal souvenir of a key American participant and Distinguished Service Cross awardee. Out all of my collection’s blades, it is now my very favorite.

In the predawn hours of March 9, 1916 Francisco "Pancho" Villa and his band of several hundred Villistas descended upon the town of Columbus, N.M., in hopes of obtaining needed military equipment, supplies and horses that were in the hands of the 13th Cavalry garrisoned in Camp Furlong. Villa needed these supplies and weapons for his fight against Mexican president Venustiano Carranza.

Warned the day before that Villa was moving his army north towards the border, Colonel Herbert Jermain Slocum dismissed the warning and the Soldiers of Camp Furlong went about their daily business. Taken by surprise when Villa's Army attacked just shortly after 4:00 a.m., the Soldiers of the 13th Cavalry were able to rally and force Villa's Army out of the town, but not before Villa got what he came for. Successful in obtaining what he needed -- capturing more than 300 rifles and shotguns, 80 horses and 30 mules -- Villa's attack, however, was considered a tactical disaster as it cost him more than 100 casualties from his small Army of 400 to 500 men.

Pancho Villa's raid on Columbus, N.M. on March 9, 1916 was the first armed invasion of the continental United States since the War of 1812. Lieutenant James P. Castleman's role during the battle is well documented, as he was the officer of the day at Camp Furlong and materially contributed to the battle by commanding the largest of several scattered contingents of 13th Cavalry troopers. His emplacement and direction of effective fire from the Hotchkiss Benet-Mercie machine guns under his command doubtlessly brought many a Villista out of the saddle, one of whom likely carried this bayonet. An excerpt from an account of this action is as follows: Upon hearing the first shots at about 4:15a.m., the Officer of the Day, Lieut. James P. Castleman, ran to the guard tent, shooting a Villista on the way, and turned out the guard. He then joined up with his F Troop, 13th Cavalry, which had been formed by Sergeant Michael Fody. The camp and town were under a general attack from two directions. Minutes later Lieut. John P. Lucas, who had just returned on the midnight train from El Paso, where he had been participating in regimental polo matches, saw a horseman ride by his window. He was wearing a high-peaked sombrero characteristic of the Villistas. Hurrying outside, he joined the attackers, who were running toward the barracks, the darkness concealing his identity. Reaching the barracks of his machine gun troop, he led his men to the guard tent where their weapons were under lock and key. Despite several incidents of the French-made Benet-Mercier machine guns jamming, the four gun crews managed to loose 20,000 rounds at the enemy. After fighting in camp for 30 or 40 minutes, the soldiers began to gain the upper hand and then were able to send aid to the beleaguered citizens. Lieutenant Castleman ordered the troop on toward the town, where the heaviest firing was concentrated. They threw a cordon of troops across the main street and thus kept the bandits from entering the north part of town. In the attached artist’s rendering of the action, Lieut. Castleman is the Soldier shooting the Pistol, M1911 right of center with Lieut. Lucas (barefoot) behind him. This picture came from this book http://www.amazon.com/The-Hunt-Pancho-Villa-Expedition/dp/1849085684 1LT Castleman’s photo is courtesy of the USASMA’s Historian, Dr. Bouilly (Thanks again, Sir!).

Lieutenant Castleman was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross (DSC) for his actions that morning. This was a retroactive award as the DSC award did not yet exist at the time of his action, Castleman's citation states:

The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress, July 9, 1918, takes pleasure in presenting the Distinguished Service Cross to First Lieutenant (Cavalry) James P. Castleman, United States Army, for extraordinary heroism while serving with 13th Cavalry, in action at Columbus, New Mexico, on 9 March 1916. During the attack on the town of Columbus by Mexicans under Villa, Lieutenant Castleman, by his gallant conduct and the successful and effective disposition of his troops in defense, save the lives of many civilians and prevented the loss of much property in the town.

General Orders: War Department, General Orders No. 2 (1920).

Yes, one day I will donate this bayonet to the Pancho Villa State Park’s museum (in Columbus, NM), but that will be after my demise. Hope you liked seeing this bayonet and more importantly reading some of the history behind it. No need to contact me about the bayo, it is most definitely NFS, period.

Regards,

Lance

Higher RES photos posted here http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/bayonets-trench-knifes-world/mexican-bayonet-extraordinary-history-424871/

PIC #1

post-31352-0-96135400-1398102571.jpg

Lance,

Only one thing missing on your post: the provenance. Would you please, share with us how you came about obtaining and legitimizing this wonderful addition to your collection. To me, that's the most interesting part; otherwise, as you say, it's just another knife bayonet for the No. 5 Remington Rolling Block rifle with a history lesson.

Also, it puzzles me why the water marks on your picture if you have the original. Although I have a bayonet collection, I have no interest whatsoever in buying your bayonet, or copying the picture.

Thanks in advance!

militariaone

Greetings GB,

Sadly, I possess no provenance of any kind. In all reality, it could have very well been constructed last week. That said, I choose to believe that is not the case. It’s kind of an odd ball thing to fake, but you are absolutely correct in questioning its provenance. I will contact the seller and see if they have any idea where it may have originated from.

Regards,

Lance

militariaone

Lance,

Only one thing missing on your post: the provenance. Would you please, share with us how you came about obtaining and legitimizing this wonderful addition to your collection. To me, that's the most interesting part; otherwise, as you say, it's just another knife bayonet for the No. 5 Remington Rolling Block rifle with a history lesson.

Also, it puzzles me why the water marks on your picture if you have the original. Although I have a bayonet collection, I have no interest whatsoever in buying your bayonet, or copying the picture.

Thanks in advance!

Greetings (again) GB,

In my haste to answer your post, I failed to address your question reference the photo’s water marks. My pictures have shown up on eBay, other sales sites, and internet forums. I have no issue (now) with anyone wanting to use them as there’s no doubt where they originated and it is free advertising for me. The odd thing is the majority of the folks who seem to raise the watermarks’ subject (I have receive quite a few e-mails from eBay sellers/buyers) are the same ones using the pictures, so now as far as I’m concerned they may have at it. I do apologize if the watermarks’ presence offend/annoy you in any way.

Regards,

Lance

Lance,

I appreciate your responses and I'm with you 100%. I don't think it's a forgery (like you say, it would be an oddball thing to fake), but it would be neat to know the history behind it. Good hunting! Oh, about the watermarks, no apologies necessary; we appreciate your posts very much. I was just puzzled, like I said. I do not mind someone copying my pictures, but I do wish they gave me credit when they did. I have e-mailed a couple of eBay sellers a couple of times and they just didn't think about it. No harm done in those cases, but it did bother me a little.

Best regards,

1SG_1st_Cav

My 'ol memory cells seem to remember that 2LT George Patton was assigned to the 13th Cavalry way back then. I'm sure some really bright historian will correct me if I'm wrong. I find the bayonet fascinating! Thanks ~ Danny

militariaone

Greetings Gents,

No sweat GB, I only wish most militaria collectables came with notarized letter of authenticity, it would make life a lot simpler. :) Danny, Patton served during the Punitive Expedition on General Pershing's staff:

"Patton's first real exposure to battle occurred when he served as a member of legendary General John J. Pershing's staff during the expedition to Mexico. In 1915, Patton was sent to Fort Bliss along the Mexican border where he led routine cavalry patrols. A year later, he accompanied Pershing as an aide on his expedition against Francisco "Pancho" Villa into Mexico. Patton gained recognition from the press for his attacks on several of Villa’s men." from here http://www.generalpatton.com/

1LT Patton was quite the bad Mo/Fo too!

Regards,

Lance

militariaone

And Major Castleman's OBIT. I like the part where it discusses him having his hat shot off. Thanks again Dr. Bouilly!

Regards,

Lance

post-31352-0-00663300-1398125967.jpg

• 1 month later...
militariaone

Greetings all,

Well, I thought I was pretty much mission complete with (ever) seeing anymore souvenirs from DSC Awardee 1LT Castleman and the 1916 Columbus, NM Villistas’ raid. Then I recently found these two items being offered from a completely different source than the bayonet had been (Weird, I know). The flag and ammo belt were (ostensibly) gathered as their contemporary tags say from dead Vallistas in the vicinity of the Commercial Hotel. This was one of the businesses that was burned down by the raiders and provided the illumination for their subsequent demise (note the red circle on the map and the before/after photos of the hotel). I do not believe the bayonet (posted earlier) came off of this belt as it would be awkward as hell to wear it in the one area it could be worn (of course, if the belt was not worn with the buckle centered over the groin… it might just work). Meh.

It would appear 1LT Castleman was a more prolific souvenir hunter than I had once given him credit for. Now I have to wonder how much more of his "collection" is still out there. That said, I doubt there’s too much more. Frankly, I’m just happy to have reunited these items. I probably need to now go out and buy a lottery ticket too.

Yes, I realize these additional items are not "Edged Weapons," but I still feel they are worthy updates to this particular thread.

Regards,

Lance

P.S. No, unfortunately there’s absolutely no provenance with these items, only circumstantial evidence in the form of the attached contemporary labels.

PIC #1

post-31352-0-47707800-1401300281.jpg

• 7 months later...

very nice find congratulations. I am amazed at the amount of history you found on the items. I to wish everything had a history, but then where would be the fun of collecting Mike