Need Info on VFW Award

gap

I recently picked up a WW2 era ribbon bar (pin back, zinc/steel construction, simple c clasp) that I initially believed to be a Certificate of Merit ribbon bar. However, upon much closer inpsection, turns out the middle stripe is faded yellow, not white. I now realize it is a VFW ribbon bar.

Can anyone provide some background on this particular award? Does it make sense to display it with my WW2 ribbon bar collection? Thanks.

It's not an award...it's the ribbon to the Membership Badge. Although these days, the VFW has a (gaudy) Commendation Medal suspended from a neck ribbon in the same colors (I'm a recipient of one).....the membership badges are still available, but you rarely see anyone wearing them......I'll try to remember to post some pictures of the Commendation Medal later...I think I have a Membership Badger as well...

Mark sends

Also, many VFW veterans wore that ribbon in the years after WWI and WWII, so I feel it's a legitimate WWII ribbon.

Mark sends

Firefighter, it's just a ribbon bar, and it looks like the ribbon on the right. Only the yellow has faded to almost white.

firefighter

Firefighter, it's just a ribbon bar, and it looks like the ribbon on the right. Only the yellow has faded to almost white.

Sorry.I knew it was just the ribbon but couldn't a pic of just the ribbon.I too have seen many racks with the VFW membership ribbon on it.

For reference, here's my VFW Membership Badger...the basic design has remained the same over the years, although now you can wear the badger with bars for "Post Commander" and other officer positions. Even though I was a Post Commander, I never bothered to get the bar for mine - actually I never wore the badge itself, just a ribbon. I replaced the actual badge with one from the 1940's because the detail is better and they're made of heavier metal.

Mark sends

post-3423-0-69731300-1397960858.jpg

The badge is just that, a badger...the VFW does have it's own Commendation Medal (although why they didn't mimic the military Commendation Medals is beyond me). As you can see, it's cornsiderably larger than the membership badger, and suspended from a neck ribbon. The medal itself is made from pewter.

post-3423-0-23220000-1397960987.jpg

post-3423-0-97664300-1397961026.jpg

...and the detail of the obverse and reverse. While I appreciate getting the medal, it's just to big and unwieldy to wear.

Mark sends

post-3423-0-03480700-1397961092.jpg