1896 USMC Officer Cover Regs...IMAGES ADDED

Brig

I was reading the uniform reg's in Equipping the Corps, and I see no specific regs pertaining to the quatrafoil. I picked up a cover today without the quatrafoil, but has the gold officer cord chinstrap and the mohair band, so was wondering, were these required or optional during these changing times? Or perhaps an officer acquired an enlisted cap on the fly and replaced the band and strap.

Too dark to post photos, will do so Sunday. Have a 24 hour duty tomorrow

Will try to get images today. I know the buttons were swapped out as the originals were falling apart, kept the same wire attachments for them. The rest came with it.

It's going to rain all day, but my head has pretty good lighting and a white closet door, so I snapped a few. Front shot. The band seems appropriate to originals I've seen and those depicted in Alec Tulkoff's Equipping the Corps, but I believe the regulations called for it to be an inch and a half, this band is 1" wide. It also seems that the gold cord is thinner than those depicted in the book. And there is no quatrafoil on the top of this cover. So...modified enlisted for an officer? Put together with period cord and band? I saw no mention of quatrafoil requirements in the regulations, so was it in full usage in the era?

101_5380.JPG

Side view. Original buttons were busted up and replaced with the original and appropriate wire prongs

101_5381.JPG

Inside, No stamps, but names twice on the sweatband. One too faded to read, the other is going to require some real good lighting and maybe some image clearing up.,. I can read the first two initials as 'M. S.'

101_5382.JPG